Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexma90

Kitchen layout with wall ovens

6 years ago

We haven't yet met with the KD on our house that's in the design process, but would appreciate some input here. Our architect just realized / remembered that we said we want wall ovens (a regular oven with a microwave on top), we only realized that he'd planned for an undercounter range when we saw the latest version of the plans, which include draft cabinet layouts.

I think that wall ovens need to be at the end of a counter. See below; if put at one end, the ovens are outside of the work triangle (and the upper cabinets would then be clustered all at one end, I think); if at the other end (by the pantry door), the ovens, fridge, sink and oven seem a bit overly-close. Window positions can be adjusted. Which location and arrangement do you think will work the best?

We are empty-nesters (mostly), this is a smaller urban build, opposite of the kitchen is our great room and dining area. Yes we want the sink in the island, and I need to figure out with spouse whether we really want the sink and stove lined up across from each other. Though that's the way we have it now, and it's never bothered us.

Comments (6)

• 6 years ago

I would put them on the far right end of the counter. My understanding is that ovens don’t need to be included in the work triangle, and that location gives you the most space behind you for maneuvering when the door is open, and it doesn’t block other appliances.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with Kristin S. In addition, the MW will be convenient to the fridge, for reheating leftovers, melting butter, etc.

As for the position of the sink, I'd put the DW to the right of the sink (as you face it), to provide more prep space to the left. Dishes could be stored in drawers, or a hutch-type cabinet, on the back wall, which would allow a helper to unload and stow them, or to gather them to set the table, without interfering in the prep/cooking zones.

Is the fridge a true built-in which will allow the doors to fully open against the stub walls?

• 6 years ago

Alternatively, you could move the refrigerator to the top wall so the island isn't a barrier b/w it and the island in the sink and then place the ovens where the refrigerator is now. It would give you room for both the ovens and counter -- maybe make it a small "Snack Center" -- out of the way of those working in the Kitchen but still easily accessible from the Kitchen.

I like Mama Goose's rearrangement of the DW and range and the addition of the Dish Hutch, btw.

I would keep the range in addition to the wall oven -- that way you have the option of two ovens, if needed. If budget is a factor, a rangetop would work as well. (You could store your pots & pans under it in drawers.)

Why is there a pony wall behind the island cabinets? It seems like a waste of space (and an extra cost!) Just extend the counter out past the cabinets to create the seating overhang you want. The island would only have to be 41.5" deep instead of 46" (or deeper).

No wall: 41.5"D

1.5" front overhang + 24" deep cabinets + 1" decorative door on the back of the cabinets + 15" overhang = 41.5" island depth

Wall: 46"D

1.5" front overhang + 24" deep cabinets + 4.5" thick wall behind the cabinets + 15" overhang = 46" island depth

Note: Most walls are 4.5" deep when accounting for the drywall in addition to the studs. Some are as deep as 6". If you turn the studs 90 degrees, you can reduce the wall thickness by approx 2".

• 6 years ago

Thanks for the input! Ok, we're all agreed, the wall ovens will go to the right. I had already noted to the architect that the dishwasher should go to the right of the sink.

"Pony wall" will be a bar level on the island. I know they're not "in," we've had everybody tell us that. But I've wanted one for a while, I got talked out of it for our last house, and I will have one for this house. Something like this:

We don't need another oven, we're good with one, plus a microwave that can serve as a convection oven (though in 23 years in our current house, I've never used it for that). Due to the cuisines that we generally cook, we do more stovetop cooking and grilling than using the oven.

The refrigerator has not yet been determined, but likely a counter-depth or integrated fridge. I'm not sure why the architect drew it like that, I've seen other houses designed by this architect and built by the builder we're using, and they seem to like putting the refrigerator on its own wall like this, and those don't have walls that stick out on the sides.

We already do too much snacking, don't need a separate space for that (remember, we're empty-nesters)! Stupid question, but what would a dish hutch look like? I was planning on doing it the way we have it in our current house, with big undercounter drawers for the dishes (and pots and pans); cabinets would be mostly for glasses and the like. The left side of the counter will likely be for our espresso machine.

• 6 years ago

Dish hutch sitting on counter--which might not work if you need the counter space for the espresso machine. Note--if you do use this type of cabinet, be sure to include a drawer, or two, on the counter, so that you will have landing space for items, and still be able to close the doors.

PS, there are no stupid questions. We are all here to learn from--and help--each other, so feel free to ask for clarification.

• 6 years ago

"The left side of the counter will likely be for our espresso machine."

Instead of the Snack Center I suggested above, make it a "Coffee/Tea Center". All the paraphernalia associated with coffee, etc., in one place and out of the way of the primary work zones in the Kitchen!

Then, a Dish Hutch would work.