Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenny_adams80

Small kitchen layout - No room for the fridge!

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our kitchen is long overdue for an update. Items to note:

1) Everybody enters the house from the sun room into the kitchen, so I'd like to relocate the refrigerator to open up that walking path. You can imagine that when there is a table in the dining room, you have to zig-zag from the sun room door around the fridge, around the peninsula, around the table, then up the stairs (note that the door at the stairs actually opens into the dining room and not as shown).

2) I'd like to take down the wall between the kitchen and living room. Depending on the engineer's assessment, this may be a half wall or a pass-through.

3) My preference would be to replace the peninsula with an island so the dining room doesn't feel so tight, and people can comfortably push in/out of the dining room table.

4) I'd strongly prefer to keep the sink under the window.

5) Right now, my oven is in a wall unit immediately to your left when you walk in the door, and the stovetop is separate. I would like to go to a standard single-unit range during the renovation.

6) I have an electric range and no gas in the house at all. I'd be open to quoting getting gas run to the house (it's already on the street) but I have no idea what it costs so it may blow up the budget.

I've included a floor plan and two photos of the current-state below, as well as a sketch I put together with a tentative layout (just some early brainstorming here). The main problem I'm running into is where to put the refrigerator... right now it juts out of an otherwise empty wall into the middle of the room and partially blocks the doorway. To put the fridge on either of the kitchen utility walls would really kill the counter space next to the range or the sink (<10" counter space in the brainstormed sketch below). Is the only option to relocate the sink to the island? I was trying to avoid moving utilities at all costs, I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Comments (15)

• 5 years ago
    I agree. It may be best to open up the sunroom, and create a bigger kitchen, breakfast area
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Here's my suggestion for the kitchen layout.

Maybe take part of the patio for a mudroom?

• 5 years ago

i'd divide the sunroom into mudroom and then kitchen, with a wall in between them. you'll have room to make your dining area a bit larger and your kitchen quite a bit larger.

makes no sense to me to enter the house through the dining room.

• 5 years ago

what about moving the sunroom/kitchen door to where the wall oven is and creating a "wall of tall" where the fridge is (fridge, wall oven, pantry) facing the sink window. You would have to move your cooktop over towards the window wall a little bit to get a slice of counter between it and the door. That would optimize your storage. You are going to get less storage with an island.

• 5 years ago

I agree with stealing some space from the sun room for the kitchen. Creating a small mudroom + larger kitchen sounds ideal.

Do you follow the Young House Love blog/podcast at all? Their kitchen and breakfast room layout was the same as yours. Might be helpful to check out their site (scroll down to see the kitchen) to see how they made it work. They were able to eliminate that dining space, and create a large island. They do have a separate formal dining, though.

This post goes into detail about the layout.

I was also thinking that once you open up the peninsula, you could move the fridge (counter depth, I hope?) to the left on that wall, so it's very close to the current opening to the living room. Add built-in cabinets around it, and lower cabs with a counter top there. Instead of eliminating the wall, make a large cut-out to the living room. (No upper cabs, just open space.)

• 5 years ago

I agree with Beverly. Remove the wall between the sunroom and the kitchen. Move the kitchen table to were the sunroom was. You don't have the room in your kitchen for an island with the 3 doorways.

• 5 years ago

I dont think the sunroom floor and the kitchen/rest of the house is on the same grade. OP show a step DOWN to the sunroom from the kitchen. Of course it could be leveled out, but an added expense. But, worth checking out.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Right. gustaviatex, the sun room steps down and she can level it out or keep it as a one step drop depending on what is involved. That's why I placed the tall cabinets at the step down. Might have been a breeze way between the garage and the house. Likely needs insulation if there is a door there but it's a great space to have that is already underroof.

• 5 years ago

my bad, i missed that.

so, nothing is cheap.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I would take a serious look at the resources, length of planned stay in the house. You have changes in grade/ elevation, not in great places and truthfully? The kitchen needs a sink/dining wall bump addition, and if you are gonna go three feet? may as well go six.. In this case, even a cantilever of a couple feet would help greatly. Sometimes a home is malleable in existing space, ,and sometimes not so much. Get an architect, structural engineer and look at all the possibilities which may even mean a delay. more saving, for a long tern good result.

Yours is an issue of garage entry point, the sunroom step.....etc. Call an arch. and a KD. Your answers are not online.

• 5 years ago

Thank you to everybody for the input! Other ideas and addressing a few reoccurring points in the discussion:

1) Yes, the sun room is 2 steps down from the kitchen.

2) This is labeled as a sun room but is more of a breezeway with uninsulated 3-season walls.

3) I agree that I need input from kitchen designers and engineers, and that I won't get all of the answers here. I'm tapping into the Houzz community for inspiration and early ideation.

4) The current layout shown is the first floor of the house. There are another three bedrooms on the second floor (6 total, all on the small side... previous owners kept popping out kids and had to create space for all of them!). The 9X9 room is expendable and I wouldn't mind taking those walls down to open up the main living space. Not sure if this opens up other options to relocate the dining room?

• 5 years ago

oh gosh yes.

i thought we were maintaining a 3 bedroom single floor house. get thee gone, two bedrooms. make one large bedroom on this floor, max.

• 5 years ago

Hi, Kenny

Since we're just kicking around ideas for your kitchen, I thought I'd toss this one into the ring:

The big idea in this plan is to create a hallway for the staircase which gives you a spacious U-shaped kitchen. I took out the 9x9 bedroom and made it the dining area, although 9' is kind of narrow for a dining room. The wall is needed to separate the dining space from the bathroom and basement doors. I know this plan as shown is flawed as I have the refrigerator against the closet wall and didn't check spacing for an island, among other things. You lose the breakfast room window, but you can put a small window at the end of the hall and a second window in the new kitchen.

• PRO
    5 years ago

A six bedroom house with a breezeway acting as mudroom ( and you didn't say how many baths )and a WOEFULLY inadequate kitchen deserves more than any community brainstorm can offer. Take the shortcut with first an architect , then a KD.

You need not give either ideas, you give them needs, wants , musts and "nice to have" You say what you can invest over what period of time. ......

There is no better way:) it's all conjecture any other way.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm