Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

I've narrowed it down to two backsplash options (I think)

4 years ago

I'd love all of your opinions on two options for backsplash tiles for my kitchen. I have vertical grain douglas fir cabinets which are lovely, but they read somewhat orange. I recently added carrara marble counters which are warm for carrara, but read cool against the cabinets. I have been looking at LOTS of options for a backsplash and I have found two that I like a lot and think could work. Obviously, both of these are ungrouted so they'd look a little different once installed.

First up is a marble mini mosaic. I've always loved white and wood in combination and I love the lightness of this tile. The grays in the mosaic are a very good match for the grays in the counters; the tile also has some warmer tones that help tie in with the cabinets. I'm not sure if this will read busy against the counters.

This is the grouted sample against the counters:

The other tile option I like is a green/gray glass mosaic that has both matte and shiny tiles. I think that this tile compliments both the counters and the cabinets pretty well. I'm afraid that it looks a little dreary in low light, but in other light I absolutely love it.

Do you have a preference for either? Does either work? Both the spouse and I have been going back and forth, sometimes preferring one and sometimes the other. Here is a good photo of the counters to give a clear idea of the color:

Comments (28)

• 4 years ago

If I had that beautiful marble counter, I would want to make it the centerpiece, and would choose a very simple backsplash that wouldnt compete. Maybe plain glass tiles or backpainted glass?

arlosmom thanked Sue 430
  • 4 years ago

They both look nice, but the greenish tile seems to make your counters look a little lavendar (not in a good way). But perhaps that's just my monitor. Have you considered a larger-format gray or greenish tile?

Your cabinets are lovely! I did my kitchen cabinets in VG Doug-fir as well and love those warm tones. (btw, I wanted to do a floor that's about the color of your counters, and my designer warned me against it just because it can be hard to find other colors to complement both the warmth of the Doug-fir and the coolness of the gray - it's not impossible though!)

arlosmom thanked salex
  • 4 years ago

I would something in a larger format like a previous poster suggested...something more like this subway tile in a grey would be really pretty.

arlosmom thanked Momofthree Ma
  • 4 years ago

I hate to agree that two options you love really don’t work with the counter, but yah, neither really works. At all. Hopefully Beth will chime in here with her always on-point suggestions but I would definitely start looking again. Neither complements your counter or cabinets, they clash and fight.

arlosmom thanked iamtiramisu
  • 4 years ago

I also am not in love with either one. I’d like to see squares up there. Either 4x4 or 6x6 and experiment with stacked and running bond. What’s the style of the house?

arlosmom thanked wolfgang80
  • 4 years ago

What about something like this? I just saw the gray (not one of the blends) installed somewhere today and it was lovely with some gentle variation but still very quiet.

https://www.ztilestone.com/melange

arlosmom thanked Kristin S
  • 4 years ago

try very pale blue glass in a simpler shape than the green one you have. Looks like you want something other than white subway...a light blue cast will be nice with the distinct cabinetry as well the counter. Just avoid busy intricate pattern...the space doesn't need it....the cabinets have presence [in a good way] …..color can be a friend here.

arlosmom thanked herbflavor
  • 4 years ago

I agree with the others that neither of your choices is a good fit with your cabinet. I don't think the mosaic look works at all well with the marble, and I also don't think either of the choices is the right color (or at least not on my screen). I am not sure why plain glass backsplash (not tile) isn't more common in the US, because that's the direction I'd be heading.

arlosmom thanked jmm1837
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! I looked back at your first thread. Is the grouted sample the one you were looking at in that thread? I still like the little squares.

I do not like the long horizontal tile shape ever. It invariably looks so busy to me when it's installed. Also, in the first marble sheet, the chips and uneven pieces look messy to me.

It's funny, I was wondering about greenish tiles but I agree, apart from the shape that I think is too busy, you're seeing something in the color that we're not.

Your cabinets and counters are so gorgeous. Do you like theses tiles by any chance? Those are calacatta marble, which has the warmer tones. They happen to be a Benton Stone Mosaic tiles from Ann Sacks.

arlosmom thanked barncatz
  • 4 years ago

So nobody likes either of our choices? Ugg. This is hard. I've looked at lots of simpler grays and all have felt either too dark, too washed out, or just the wrong color (too brown, too cold).

The consensus seems to be that I should go simpler. I'm fine with that. The house was built in 1977, but was updated before we bought it with nice fir windows, pretty fir and limestone bathrooms, and a new kitchen (sometime in the last 7 years). It's a one-level house with no specific architectural style in a wonderful walkable neighborhood close to downtown. It works really well for where we are in our lives.

In terms of taste, I tend to like texture and patina rather than pattern or color. I'm not a shiny girl. I have a soft spot in my heart for dull, saturated colors and soft neutrals. The kitchen is fairly open to the dining and living room areas. We have old, well aged (in a good way) oriental rugs, comfortable slipcovered furniture and a honking live edge coffee table. Our house is very unfancy. Pretty, but comfortable.

Herbflavor, I think a soft blue glass could work with the gray in the marble and compliment the cabinets. I'd want a matte glass. I'll take a look.

Barncatz, yes, it's the same mosaic from the first thread. Which little squares did you like? The tiles you showed are very pretty, but I think they're too fancy or formal for me. My mosaic sample is calacatta with the warmer tones which is why I thought it might work.

I'm open to ideas, and I really appreciate all of you taking the time to look at my kitchen!! I want to love what I end up with.

• 4 years ago

I don’t like either one. Both your countertop and your cabinets make a strong statement (in a beautiful way!) and I would do a tile in a light uniform color in a single size which will not compete with them.

A matte glass tile would look nice. Nemo tile Viscaya glass tile comes in both high gloss and matte. I would choose Spirit White for your kitchen. Infinity could be pretty also but any blue will make your cabinets look more orange which you might not like. Nemo tile also makes a recrystallized glass tile in pure white. It is a beautiful opaque white tile which resembles Thassos marble.

• 4 years ago

Your house sounds very nice. Tabarka makes tiles with patina though they may be a bit on the dirty side for your space. I’ve seen Heath tiles look good in combination with fir and other natural woods.

• 4 years ago

Your choices have different hues from one another. Cool VS warm based on how my phone reads it. The small will look super busy in a large splash format.

• 4 years ago

Also, that horizontal skinny glass tile is literally in every tract house where I live. I think it’ll date fast for that reason, I’m personally super tired of seeing it.

• 4 years ago

Your Carrara countertop is a cool tone and your wood cabinets are a warm tone. They will look nice with a cool tone backsplash, especially a cool white. Mixing Carrara and Calacatta marble is not a good look, btw.

A white ceramic subway tile would be beautiful and not at all boring in your kitchen.

• 4 years ago

Pencil tile is dated by 5 years, or even 10 years already depending on your location, I am sorry to say. And for the teeny tile, that is just not a good fit with your kitchen. You need to make your brain think about larger sized tiles. I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic, I mean it. You appear to be drawn to small tile with lots of grout lines, and that would not be a good choice in your lovely kitchen, so you need to "reboot". Your kitchen is really nice.

• 4 years ago

" In terms of taste, I tend to like texture and patina rather than pattern or color. I'm not a shiny girl. I have a soft spot in my heart for dull, saturated colors and soft neutrals. "

I can relate to this. What about a 2x2" mosaic in a matte, textured tile? Or a subway in a matte, textured finish? Here's one example from TileBar (Ristretto is the name):

And this is Gossamer Talco tile from TileBar:

I'm not sure either of these is a good color, but what do you think about the effect they give? For me, I like the subway shape but I don't like the mixed patterns (just my preference). So I'd probably look for something a little more consistent, like Diesel Camp White Canvas below. But that may be too simple/consistent/dull for what you want to do here.

Good luck - the cabinets are beautiful and the bright counters are adding so much light to the space. I think you are well on your way to a gorgeous kitchen.

• 4 years ago

JMO, I worry that many of the Houzz "Backsplash Rules" I've been reading about for years are not as helpful as they seem. For everyone cited, you can find many examples where someone broke that rule to beautiful effect.

Anyway, arlosmom thanks for explaining your preferences. I also love texture and so used a mixture of matte and gloss glazes, three offwhite shades, and a square herringbone pattern on a square wall space to achieve the varied look I wanted. Don't get overwhelmed - just resign yourself that it's like kkssing frogs to find your prince.

Have you looked at Tilebar's tile online? You can order online samples. I looked in their Handmade Tile section. Are any of these interesting?

Cadenza Matte in white

Cadenza Salt Cellar

Urban Brick Vintage White

• 4 years ago

These are two white carraras from Tilebar, Michael Habachy. I really like the second one.

• 4 years ago

I agree, something simple would be better. Since you don't like shiny, I agree - matte glass could be lovely. I just fell in love with this collection. For my kitchen, I love the "gibson" color. There are some lovely muted color options - https://sonomatilemakers.com/astoria/

• 4 years ago

Carolae, thanks for the recommendation of Nemo Tile. I spent time looking at their glass tile and I've ordered three samples. Crossing my fingers.

Wolfgang80, I ordered a few Heath samples when I first started looking for tile. None of my samples worked especially well with our counters. I love their tile though. I feel like Tabarka is a little rustic for my other kitchen elements.

Nicole R and Shannon, you've confirmed one of my concerns. I was afraid that the glass pencil mosaic might feel dated. I do like the softness of glass though, so I'm looking at some larger format glass options.

PamA and Barnkatz, I've gotten several samples from TileBar, but will go back and take another look. I already have a sample of Diesel Camp White Canvas that Pam suggested and it's a pretty good option. The color works with the marble and it has a very subtle texture up close. I'll take a picture of it with the counters later. I'll go back and look at TileBar again because I like most suggestions that both of you made.

AboutToGetDusty, the Sonoma glass tiles are beautiful. When I initially looked at Sonoma I was only looking at their ceramic tile, none of which grabbed me. I really like some of the glass colors.

Thanks for all the help so far!!! I'm off to research some of my now options!

• 4 years ago

I just remembered I took a photo of Viscaya glass tile from a display board when I went to Nemo tile in NYC two years ago (I’ve been looking at tile for a long time!). Here it is- you can see the difference between high gloss and matte in the same color. Matte is definitely a softer look.

Please post again when you get your samples- it’s fun to share opinions! Plus we have to help when you need grout color suggestions...

• 4 years ago

Thanks to all commenters for the guidance and suggestions. I feel like all of you helped enormously in steering me to backsplash tile that I love. Thanks for suggesting large format, simple tile. I surprised myself by falling for a shiny glass tile -- Modwalls Lush glass subway in Fog Bank. I went with 3 by 12 and am happy with that choice. My grout is Delorian Gray. My installers were meticulous and did a fabulous job.

Here are a couple before photos and a couple of after photos. In total, we added skylights, painted, replaced appliances, replaced the counter, and added the backsplash. Thanks again for helping me love my kitchen!!

Before:

After, with under cabinet lights on:

and without the under cabinet lights (photo was taken before caulk at the backsplash/counter line):

• 4 years ago

Looks lovely.

arlosmom thanked localeater
  • 4 years ago

It really looks great!

arlosmom thanked K R
  • 4 years ago

LOVE it!!! Great choice!

arlosmom thanked Steph L.
  • 4 years ago

Looks awesome! Congrats on a beautiful new space!

arlosmom thanked Momofthree Ma