Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

"This is Us" Does it Again

4 years ago

I just watched last night's episode of This is Us. It was per usual an emotional roller coaster. I do not know how they do it.... but the cast, the directing, the writers etc. can evoke such emotion. It is probably one of the only shows that can really choke me up.

Not sure if anyone else saw it... but I would love to hear your thoughts. It pulls on so many different heartstrings that I think it can touch just about anyone.

Comments (23)

• 4 years ago

I am behind on This is Us! I do love the show tho.

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 4 years ago

I completely agree with you Eld!

• 4 years ago

I want to watch this hsow, but I don't want to cry!

amykath thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For the most part I've been able to follow along with the various timelines. It's really easy when you can see that the characters are different ages. But last night I was confused with Rebecca's - so I googled the recap. If anyone else had trouble following along the recap helps.

https://ew.com/recap/this-is-us-season-4-episode-9/

amykath thanked maire_cate
  • 4 years ago

The time travel gets confusing to me, esp. with the break between seasons. I 'm like, who IS that?

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 4 years ago

I found it curious that Rebecca went out, but Miguel didn’t seem to be part of that, not just that he didn’t go but I didn’t see her talk to him about it? And wouldn’t Randall try to have casual conversation with Miguel about her?

amykath thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

It does help t o read about what others notice that I might have missed. However, I love shows that leave little breadcrumbs and don't overstate the obvious.

• 4 years ago

Aktillery, absolutely! Breadcrumbs is the word!

amykath thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

We are getting so many backstories, I’m getting more and more curious about Miguel. We know so little about him. I’m expecting . . . Something . . . Soon.

amykath thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

Mtn, traveling back in time was always part of the show. Not too hard to follow because you can relate to the characters when they were children.

It was when difficult they threw in NEW ones and into the future, is what confused many of us.

Marie, I didn't catch on at first either. When Rebecca bought the flowers that were in the future. Of course, we all thought that she was confused and forgot to get the pie and instead bought the flowers.

Then, she shows us at the door with the pie.........

Bpath, I agree. In one of the first episodes in this season they show Rebecca in bed, obviously very ill. Miguel is not by her side, instead, it is Nick. What is up with Miguel?

I am nervous about Kate and Toby. In the "future" episode we see Toby going to Kevin's house but not with Kate.

Last night Kevin said he would be married and having a baby in 9 months. And, we see that happening. But who is it??????

I really like the symbolism of the shrimp. We see Jack as an adult serving shrimp.

amykath thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

I‘m confused about the Miguel and Jack timeline. I thought they knew each other before Jack met Rebecca, but then when Jack buys his blazer for dinner with Rebecca’s parents, it seemed like that’s when they met? Miguel is an enigma, he always seems to be on the sidelines but yet a support to Jack and to Rebecca.

I’m glad to see Nick reentering the family, and illustrated by incorporating the shrimp. Wasn’t the recent show with the teen kids about talking about and incorporating traditions?

amykath thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

bpath, my sister and I are confused about when Miguel and Jack actually became friends.

amykath thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

Yes! I think they have messed up the timeline with Jack and Miguel. Other errors bugged me as well, even though we enjoy watching. For example, when the three were born they were in Pittsburgh, which is where William had to have lived, in order to place Randall at the fire house as a newborn. How did William conveniently end up in Philly, then, close to where adult Randall and family lived in NJ? Never explained, or maybe I missed it.

amykath thanked HU-432155661
  • 4 years ago

The funny thing is, HU, I don’t think they are errors! I think “all will be explained”.

When did William end up in Philly? actually, I am not really keeping track of where everyone lived/lives.

What was Kevin talking about, when he said that he hadn’t felt so responsible for someone since he was a kid? He was kind of the “it’s about me” kid, wasn’t he? Did I miss a moment? Oh, wait, yeah, when he started showing Randall how to forge mom’s signature on a detention note!

And back to Miguel, when Rebecca arrives at the cabin with the police, it’s Kate who signs the report, not Miguel? Whose cabin is it?

And two whole months to start finding out? In the meantime, I guess I’d better start watching reruns!

(oh, dear, I’m obsessing too much about Miguel, but really, what’s the deal there? Is he a time traveller of some kind?)

amykath thanked bpath
  • 4 years ago

Thanks, AK, for this discussion. I love the show, and found last night’s episode fascinating, heart-wrenching and -warming at the same time.

The only part I couldn’t figure out was Miguel and what happened to him in between the Thanksgiving episode where Rebecca went out for the walk and pie and when she got lost and bought flowers. Maybe in her mind, she was still out looking for a bakery. The writers did a great job capturing the confused mind of dementia, imo. And I think it could be inferred it is Kevin’s cabin. Kate maybe is visiting? And what caused the rift between Kevin and Randall?

Until he died, didn’t the Pearson clan always live in the same city? Or maybe William followed them from Pittsburgh to Philly. I have forgotten where they lived.

I‘m not sure it was ever explained in the beginning how Jack and Miguel first met. Miguel and his first wife just showed up as family friends as I recall. Does someone remember anything differently?

amykath thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 4 years ago

If I remember correctly, Kevin was there for Randall when he began to have his panic attacks in early school days. I think there will be much more to learn about their history together.

amykath thanked Dragonfly8
  • 4 years ago

If you love/enjoy This is Us, I highly recommend Dan Fogelman's (the writer/producer of This is Us) beautiful film - Life Itself.

It's an incredible, surprising, emotional multi-generational tale with an amazing cast - all my opinion, of course. I actually didn't know if I would even like it.

I was not expecting to experience the emotions and feelings that the film brought out in me.

It's available to stream on Amazon Prime, trailer is in the link below.

Life Itself trailer

amykath thanked JePenseTrop
  • 4 years ago

Outside, I think when Rebecca buys the flowers it was representing the future, 9 months later.

Then, she does turn up in the present time with the pie.

Bpath, when I saw the cabin, it reminded me of the cabin the family used to go to. I thought that Rebecca gave the police the address of that old cabin.

• 4 years ago

It's the one show that takes me away to another realm and I laugh and cry and love every minute of it. When it's over, I look around the room and I'm shocked back to reality.

amykath thanked Yayagal
  • 4 years ago

One thing I noticed is when Rebecca is brought to Kevin's by the police on his 40th bday.... Kate signs some paperwork. If you notice she signs Kate Pearson and not Kate Damon (I believe that is Toby's last name). That definitely makes you wonder if they are divorced.

I too have been confused about when Miguel comes into their lives.

I think Kevin's fiance is maybe the woman who just got divorced that he met while helping his Uncle. The one he just slept with and probably gets pregnant (the recovering alcoholic). That would certainly explain how he could have a baby just nine months later. I can not remember her name. She was in House and Once Upon a Time.

• 4 years ago

Wow to seeing the signature of Kate.

Yes it makes sense that it is Cassidy is the one pregnant since it is a nine-month span.

amykath thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

I love shows that do not spell everything out at the onset. This one really keeps you guessing and on your toes. You have to look for the little things. That is the best kind of entertainment (show, movies, books etc.)