Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitie_aronson

Will a typical barn door track work with a thicker door?

4 years ago

I want to build a barn door that will be 2.25 inches thick. Most hardware I am finding is for 1-1 3/4 inches thick doors. If I put a header on, this will increase the distance from the wall, so would that mean I could still use this hardware even though my door is thicker?

Comments (11)

• 4 years ago

Yes, I was planning on making sure the weight doesn’t exceed, but wasn’t sure about the thickness part.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pick out a product and call the hardware manufacturer. There are enough issues here that only they can tell you if this will work properly with their product.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Build has 99 sliding door kits of various finishes, styles, and lengths that will support doors 2-1/4" thick. Be sure to note the maximum weight the kits will support.

• 4 years ago

In many barn door kits, the hardware that attaches to the door uses bolts that go through the thickness of the door. The bolts on the 1-3/4” kit would be too short. You probably could purchase longer bolts to fit your door, or go for one of the kits that have the necessary hardware for your thicker door as suggested above.

• 4 years ago

I'm looking at my indoor barn door. You would not be able to hang a thicker door on this hardware, because the door (once you add the screws etc.) would scrape the wall. All the pieces coordinate: you couldn't change one element without throwing off the rest. E.g. the rail would have to be further from the wall.

• 3 years ago

I'm positive your dilemna has already been resolved, but I figured I'd reply for others with the same problem! I would consider routing out notches, so the hardware sits in the routed out recess of the door, flush with the surface. That will provide all the extra space needed, and still look professional!

• 2 years ago

Did you find a solution for this? I have a 2.5 inch barn door and need a track for it.

• last year

Having the same dilemma here with a 2.25" thick door. I plan to buy a standard kit off of amazon and then replace the carriage bolts with longer ones, then mount the track on a thicker piece of wood in order to get the extra gap i need off of the wall in order to accomodate the extra door thickness.

• last year

Lisa and Chuck, did you find a solution? i bought some extra longbolts to use to make the track come out further from the wall/header board but havent tried it yet. im finishing my last coat of paint on my 2.5” thick door…

• last year

The extra long long bolts will allow you to attach the hangar however the real problem is the length of the spacer from the wall/backer board. It is not long enough. You may have to add extra washers to extend the length or consider a top mount hangar but check the max door weight and that you will have solid fixing points at the top.