Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_mua

Coordinating a rug with paisley couch and chair

last year

I am trying to find a rug that would complement a paisley couch and chair. I am refinishing the floors which will be a slightly darker color. My taste is traditional. The living room is 15' x 19' so I would need a 10' x 14' rug. I have three dogs. I want something neutral but when I put certain neutral colors against the couch, it has a slightly greenish cast. See attached photos.

I don't want to spend too much ($500-$600) because I will most likely be moving in the next 4-5 years so I don't know if this rug will be usable in our next home. In addition, I plan to have this furniture reupholstered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• last year

Plan to have furniture upholstered - when? Now or in 4-5 years when you move? The current color of fabric looks green on my monitor.

• last year

Yes, it does show green. We had a pale seafoam rug before which picked up one of the colors so I never noticed it. When I put a beige next to it, I does look green. I will most likely not reupholster it until we move.

• last year

I cruised rug sites for inspiration - something with texture rather than specific design that would be too busy with your paisley. Looking for color that would be on order of the overall backround color of the upholstery. Since you don’t plan to reupholster anytime soon - that’s not a factor for this current rug need. All I came up with is Jute or sisal & that seems too casual for your furniture style - the queen Anne table legs etc. What I would do is visit local carpet store with sofa cushion in hand. You can have a rug the large size you need cut & bound. Also get a good rug pad cut for size. Look for a neutral with texture - i.e. a very short shag or frieze. Likely would be much easier & cheaper than buying on line & trying to deal with possible returns.

• last year

Thank you, I really appreciate your time and feedback!

• PRO
    last year

are you leaving the carpet in this room? not sure you need a rug.

• last year

No, that carpet has been removed and we are refinishing the floors.

• last year

I have some paisley upholstery in my LR, too. This past spring, I purchased a Ivory 9' x 12' rug from Amazon.

Safavieh Vision Collection VSN606J Modern Ombre Tonal Chic Non-Shedding Area Rug - Ivory.

This rug also is also available in the color cream (which is darker than ivory).

Your dog is very cute!

-Laurie

• last year

@Kim Mua The rug that @Laurie has would sure work with your upholstery too. The tonal pattern feels like more of a texture than a pattern & would work well if you found a good match to background color of your upholstery.

• last year

Thank you Laurie! Your paisley is a normal color, mine is strange and very hard to match. I have tried all the websites and nothing works, especially in 10 x 14. Thank you for the photos and advice...he is a new rescue pup, he is as sweet as he is handsome! :)

• last year
    last modified: last year

He sure is a cutie! :)

Since you’re refinishing the floors, are you sure you want such a large rug? What is this room used for? How will your furniture be set up?

I’m one who loves mixing colors and patterns, so don’t think you have to get a solid rug (unless you prefer that).

• last year

Hi KW, I have seen that rug, it is very pretty but it doesn't come in 10 x 14. I think you're right, will need to take a cushion to carpet store.

• last year

Hi Jinx, it is the living room. I feel that the room needs an area rug to give it some warmth and to tie in the furniture. I know 10x14 is large but that's the size I need just to have the front of couch and chair on the rug. If I go smaller, I would need to pull the pieces away from the walls and then there is the problem of the lamps cords showing.