Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 10/29/2023

6 months ago

How are you doing with your healthy lifestyle goals?

Are you on track or slipping? Have you had any successes? What are your plans to stay on track as the holidays approach?

Comments (12)

• 6 months ago

Morning all! I don't have much to report-- I have been coasting and for me that translates to no progress. I have been having a hard time finding energy and time to put into better meal planning and exercise. It's been a very busy month between work and home and I am just not committing to time for my health goals.

I have also slipped on following IF. This is one of the things I want to focus on in the coming week. I feel so much better when I eat only between noon and 7pm and it also helps keep my eating in check.

I took a break from salads for 2 months but without them, I have watched my calories trend upwards and honestly, I am missing them. I will bring back a few a week... between soup and salads, I hope to get back into loss mode.

Luckily, halloween candy isnt tempting to me -- but I have been tempted by other fall treats. My only strategy is to keep apples/pears in the house and take a tip from Sue and stock up on some teas to have in the evening if I want a "treat".

How are you doing? Are you staying motivated and making progress?

• 6 months ago

I’m motivated! I’ve been taking a lot of diet liberties lately that have resulted in a few pounds gained. I’m buckling down with diet, adding in more daily steps, and being consistent with my weights. Hopefully that will get me back in the groove!

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 6 months ago

Hi, Back again. Just returned from vacation. Ate way too much PA Dutch food. Arrived home late yesterday, made vegetable soup today to kick off a return to better eating. Focusing on lots of vegetables and protein this week.

Funkyart thanked jill302
  • 6 months ago

We have not eaten very much after 6:30 PM for years!! Once that habit is developed, it is not hard to continue. As my mentor says, "nobody ever died from missing a meal", meaning if you have not eaten by 6:30, just don't eat. You won't die.

I am really seeing the results of all the Pilates, especially oblique work. Since I have ZERO body image, that is really saying something. I have not been on the scale, but I did measure my waist....and it was down 2 inches. I wore a skort to dance, and got several compliments on my legs, LOL. It was a halloween party, and we ( sort of ) went as Barbie and Ken. I did not even touch the 10 ft. long table of food....We ate some scrambled eggs with a little chopped honey ham before we left, after an entire DAY working at an event.

I am only doing 6 classes at Pilates this week, because they just do not fall in the correct order for me...I like doing a stretchy class (Center and Balance) after a Reformer Flow or a Cardio class.

I hope evryone has a great week!!

Funkyart thanked Springroz
  • 6 months ago

That's great, Springroz! Congratulations!

I read something on social media the other day that, if you want to work on your summer body, start now. Because it doesn't happen in 6 weeks. The post was tongue-in-cheek and poking fun at the beauty magazines that promote "6 weeks to shape up for summer!" baloney. The intent was to remind that it takes time. There are no shortcuts.

I'm seeing results from the last several months' focus on strength training and increased protein. I'm down a few lbs. and I'm also feeling more muscle, and like the way my body is more toned. I think realizing just how long and hard this has been... means I don't want to blow it all during the holidays. It just took too much to get here to give it all up. Progress is definitely a motivator for me.

Funky, I vote for more salads. When I make them with plenty of non-startchy vegetables, a protein, a few nuts and a flavorful but healthy dressing, I feel like I'm eating so much food. But the majority is the vegetables.

And I agree with the tea. So many of the fall flavors with cinnamon and ginger, etc., have a sweet flavor. My current favorite is the spiced Chai from Trader Joe's. It smells so good, too, but it does have caffeine. In the evenings, I like TJ's caffeine-free "Well Rested" tea.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • 6 months ago

Feathers wrote: I think realizing just how long and hard this has been... means I don't want to blow it all during the holidays. It just took too much to get here to give it all up. Progress is definitely a motivator for me.

Yes! This is so true and a big motivator!

• 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I really need balance as well as strength. Last night I got a brain storm to see what is avaialable for seniors at my town rec center.

I was pleasantly surprised at the offerrings. For a minimum resident’s fee, the classes and activities I believe are included. I'll head over tomorrow to see for myself if it will be a good fit for me.

I finally got my weight down to my threshold weight but hope to drop down to my goal weight.

Springroz, yikes, ONLY 6 Pilates classes! And to have will power to not eat at a buffet.

Feathers, I agree that it takes a while to see results. My biggest surpris is that I am using only 2 lb weights and was able to get back what I lost when I had to stop.

I was up to 7 lb weights. I hurt my elbow. I thought it was the weights. However, it was not when I analyzed all my activities.

I will increase but I now know you don't need to go heavy on the weights to see results.

Funkyart thanked eld6161
  • 6 months ago

Springroz - 2 inches is amazing! Feathers - I am so glad you are seeing results. I am inspired. I am trying the protein and the weights and hoping to be consistent enough to see some results as well.

I haven't weighed again. I don't want to get bogged down in that, but at the same time I feel like I need to weigh fairly often to keep me on track. I've realized that almost all my clothes have loose waists, and can fit me comfortably up or down 10 pounds probably. That's really not great when one of the NSV is how your clothes fit. I don't want to gain 10 pounds before I realize I'm on the wrong path.

Anyway, with the weather change, I need to focus on staying active and keeping my movement levels up. That's the challenge this week. I started doing some kettleball swings. Maybe I can do those as an exercise snack during the day.

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I have been the same weight since June, which is fine by me. It would be nice to lose a little more but I haven't been this weight (except for chemo!) for 25 years or more.

My A1c stayed at 5.8 which it was in April and lipid panel stayed pretty much the same too. We have been eating low carb since January and feel great. I think the doctor was more pleased this visit than in April. I'm thinking that is because it's easy to make a change but maintaining is harder? Or she was just in a more congratulatory mood last week!

We both notice a weight shift up of a few pounds when we walk. Perhaps inflammation and swelling of our old joints?

Funkyart thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • 6 months ago

So many great achievements! You're all an inspiration -- congrats on your successes and improved health!

I just popped in to share that I have loved having salads this week! Sometimes I need a break-- but so good to return to them!

Keep up the great work everyone!

• 6 months ago

I’ve been maintaining a good activity level and continuing with my eating plan. I eat little but have plenty of energy, and eat more if I see the need. At this point I am not trying to lose, just maintain and adjust as I add or subtract activities.

Today I’m making a cider based pulled pork in the crockpot for sandwiches as SIL and the grands are coming for the weekend to give DD a few days to herself. I will probably take Andrew to see the Paw Patrol movie and I am looking forward to the kids’ pack of a small amt of popcorn, junior drink and fun size Welch’s fruit snacks! Having the kids here automatically means I am weight lifting (switching back and forth between 27 lbs to 18 lbs, lol) I’ll also make cole slaw and a shredded brussel sprouts salad, and give the DH and SIL tortilla chips and salsa as well. I also bought Bluebell peppermint bark ice cream for dessert and will whip up a chocolate ganache for that. Luckily ice cream is not my weakness. My meal plan for myself is for adequate protein, more complex carbs / veg/ fiber and minimal sugar / pasta/ potatoes etc. If I make all those it usually serves everyone well as they eat more of what they like and there’s something appealing for everyone.

Autumn has put a new spring in my step and I am anxious to get out and dive into everything. Sunday I have a historical society meeting after church and a concert at 5 (attending, not singing), and next week a landscape painting class and a dinner meeting for the regional Democratic party along with rehearsals two nights for two different choirs. My primary goal is to be as healthy as possible to care for my mother and DH, help out with the grandchildren and stay involved in all the things that interest me. Lately it all seems to have become easier to manage, no idea why 🤔