Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 1/7/2024

4 months ago

One week down in 2024! How has the new year started out for you?

Are you adding any new behaviors or approaches for the year?

How is your motivation? Are you pumped for a new year or still feeling sluggish from the holidays?

Comments (14)

• 4 months ago

I was all ready and focused on a new year of healthy improvements and I had a week of good days-- until the snow came yesterday. I'll be honest, I let the snow take me down a less than optimal path. I had a bagel yesterday-- not that I totally avoid carbs but a I catch bagel is pretty much a carb bomb! I will be putting a pot of soup on soon-- that should help me stay on track for the next few days!

I am one click away from ordering a new washer/dryer -- and I have saved up some laundry knowing that they were coming in the new year. This doesn't sound like a "healthy lifestyle" bonus-- but it is because my treadmill is next to the laundry. I definitely plan to get on the treadmill more in the coming weeks as I catch up on laundry and play with my new toys!

I don't make resolutions but my mantra for the year is going to be consistency! I want to get into a routine and stick with it. Much as I find it boring, I do best when I have a set number of healthy meals on rotation. I also want to borrow from things other people are doing -- like trying a new recipe once a week. I think that will be enough to mix it up when I am otherwise sticking to standard recipes/meals.

How did YOU do in the first week of the year?

• 4 months ago

You all are so YOUNG!!! LOL. (65 this year....)

I am doing pretty well on diet. I am not much on shakes (normally, they just make me hangry and send me on a binge), but just adding the plain(unsweetened, nothing other than whey protein isolate and some soy lecithin) protein powder to some cocoa powder, then to the Fairlife High Protein milk really lowers my appetite. I wanted to increase my protein, but I already eat a lot of meat.

I am back out at the barn since the weather has turned from Fall-like to winterish, so my activity has really increased. I rode 4 horses last week; the fist time in months I had done that!!! For some reason, I never see a difference....

I bought the $9.99 fat measuring scale at Aldi, but I have not stepped on it yeettttt. Scared? Yep.

Funkyart thanked Springroz
  • 4 months ago

I just turned 64..Springoz....and I feel every year of it! smile

My roofer is stressing me out. On one hand I've been skipping dinner....on the other hand....eating Reeses Peanut Butter cups to make myself feel better. I did journal about the experience...and....wrote it all out on Word, then printed it and put it in my journal trying to get it out of my system. I keep thinking I need a vacation home, with a pool in a hot climate. :0)

Shopping helps me calm down. I walked ALL over getting after Christmas deals. I have a rental turning over February 1. I found 4 black out grommet curtain panels for $15 to put in it!

• 4 months ago

I have a weighted vest, but I’ve only worn it once in public, because it looks more tactical than exercise. But, I shouid get it back out. It does make a walk even better for you.

I’m traveling, so doing my best. More steps than usual, but not the best food either. I can tell I’ve not been exercising. I just don’t have the same energy.

I am motivated to step up my game. O’d like to refocus and see if i can lose 10 more pounds, and more importantly get back in the exercise groove.

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I did my pilates rollups, stretches, and a 7 minute body strength workout. That’s my plan for vacation. I feel better already!

• 4 months ago

We made turkey chili for the past two nights, which is good because it was cold. We had the bad storm system come through. It was wild, raining sideways. They closed work too late to get home which I knew would happen, but then we had a power outage home which was fixed incredibly fast in about 2 hours, so staying at work wasn't a bad thing after all. Then the power went out at work, went back on briefly, and is still out. I do need to drive in for Pilates but rescheduled my haircut because I'd have too many hours in between. She has power at the studio even though it's a few blocks from work.

I still have not received the Zepbound; the order is in process.

Another good article about the benefits of strength training (gift access from NYTimes).

I feel like my head is in a better place in the new year, so that's a positive thing.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • 4 months ago

Thanks for the article. The workout really doesn’t have to be long or complicated, but I do think it makes a difference. As with all things, consistency really is the key.

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 4 months ago

“it looks more tactical than exercise”

Had to LOL at that, lego Legomom! 😁

Dr says with after your forties it is okay to gain about 5 lbs per decade over your ideal weight . At 67 I am right there .., about 10 lbs over my weight at age 30. It’s odd though that clothing fits so differently 🤔 Gravity, I suppose, and sizes have changed. In the 80’s what would have been a size 10 - 12 is now a 6 - 8 in all but the most expensive brands (which seem to have maintained their fit model sizes).

I am walking a lot and doing power walking up our steep hill three times daily. Still need to increase strength training—- but every time I say that I end up carrying around 23 lb kid with emergency babysitting for a couple of days. Food lately has been a little hit or miss; eating a lot of kale but otoh also eating my share of homemade biscuits. They seem at the moment to be balancing each other out!

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

My eating has been hit or miss also this last week. I usually weather stress pretty well but this week I am struggling. I am fighting a cold which doesn't help. I have been reaching for foods I shouldn't to console (not my usual reaction to stress!)... and I have been grumpy and short-tempered. Not a good look. It is time to turn to healthy eating and exercise! I am counting on them to help improve my sleep and my mood!

We are not going to get the crazy winter storms-- but we will have very windy and cold days with the possibility of some light snow. Basically, it's soup weather!

I have a number of recipes saved that I wanted to try-- like smitten kitchen's short rib and onion soup and Once Upon a Chef's White Chicken Chili (recommended by Legomom, I think?)-- but I want to focus on low calorie so I will wait to try them another time. Still trying to narrow it down but I think I'll make my fav creamy mushroom wild rice soup (I make it without the "creamy" part) and then something with chickpeas-- maybe chickpea parmesan soup? I really can't decide lol. Tom Yum soup sounds good too-- especially as I am fighting this cold!

Are you going to see snow? What are you making this weekend? Maybe your picks will help me narrow down my options. I am trying very hard to eliminate food waste so I don't want to over order!

• 4 months ago

https://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/soup/

she usually has good low cal recipes, maybe some inspiration?

I’m still traveling and holding steady I guess. Walking a good bit and a little extra exercise. I usually pick healthy choices when eating out, but who really knows what they’re adding to make it taste good :)

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 4 months ago

I have made a few skinnytaste soup recipes -- I especially like the acini di pepe soup as a base (i add to it). I was really tempted by the cauliflower and brussel sprout soup -- but as these will be "meal" soups I thought a chunky soup might be better than a blended one. Mostly a mental thing.

Hope you are having a great trip, Lego! I find that I generally manage to hold steady when traveling -- but I know what you mean about dining out. I guess the extra activity balances it out?!

• 4 months ago

I have these ingredients on the counter waiting for me: zucchini, summer squash, canned fire roasted tomatoes, garbanzo beans, black beans, pinto beans, red pepper, green pepper, onion. I am not tired of eating some version of my vegetarian chili almost every day for lunch.

I am back on track and feeling good. Amazing how a couple weeks of healthy eating can have such an impact. I just feel less sluggish and my jeans feel better even though I have only lost a couple lbs. Also: dry (ish) January. We did go out to dinner and a movie one night this week, and I had a glass of wine. My dinner was shrimp cocktail and a veggie/grain bowl. And no candy or popcorn at the movie!

My latest snack that makes me happy is a tiny bowl of mixed nuts (we mix our own: almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamias, and sunflower seeds) with some dark chocolate chips added.

Also, sumo oranges!

Today’s challenge is a bridal shower. I know there will be sweet little cakes or something that will be hard to resist.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • 4 months ago

I read these weekly, and always mean to write earlier in the week. But something causes me to wait until later.

I've picked up weight training again these past few weeks, and my body feels sore and good! I've listened to a few podcasts about longevity lately, and, like Gscience's article, there is no doubt that strength training is essential. One longevity expert/researcher even cited a study where, out of all the exercise options, strength training was shown to better reduce cancer. Don't ask me to cite it... it's long buried in my list of podcasts. But it's part of the overall and very clear message that we need to maintain muscle as we age.

Saying that, my shoulders and arms are especially sore because I shoveled snow twice yesterday (the heavy "heart attack" snow), and I have to shovel one more time today before temps drop. My driveway and sidewalk are not long, but just long enough that it's a physical challenge. And I remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to manage this on my own.

Food-wise, I'm doing ok, but have had a few extra sweets that I don't normally have, thanks to DS's late-night trip for ice cream. But I haven't eaten out since the holidays, and so lots of homemade food. Yesterday, I made a cauliflower lentil curry soup that was filling and delicious.

I agree, Funky--this is soup weather. I enjoy the process of making soup, and especially vegetable based so I can use whatever I have on hand. Sue's chili sounds like my next one.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11