Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanie34_gw

how should I ask for insurance/licensing?

17 years ago

I'm hiring a mason to install a flagstone walk & concrete stair. I think I should be asking for evidence of a license and/or insurance, but I'm not sure how to put it. Should I ask for a license number? a copy of insurance certificate? Say "are you insured in the state of Maryland?" Will he be offended? Is it required in most states? I found this person through the yellow pages (no luck with word of mouth), and plan to check references. Quote seems reasonable, compared to one other, but seems like a young guy (late twenties) without lots of experience? but seemed knowledgable & confident.

thanks for any advice!

Comments (6)

• 17 years ago

Hi, I'm having a large job done in the yard later this year, and found lots of great info on the state contractors license website. I'm sure your state has one online. When I got estimates from contractors found on that website, they just handed me all the info about their license and insurance. They gave me large lists of references that I could call or go see in person, and lists of questions to ask other contractors when I got other bids. I didn't even have to ask. Your state website should have a list of questions for you to ask. They also recommend that you actually check the insurance company directly and make sure that contractor is currently covered. No decent contractor has a problem with you checking on anything you want to know about their work, license, etc., or asking questions about how the job will be done. Checking on the BBB website can be some help also. These websites are very useful for finding qualified people. If you start seeing red flags when dealing with someone, don't hire them. You'll likely get more of the same if you do. Look this mason up on these websites, and just ask him about it. If he gets "offended", too bad. I would just chalk that up as strike 2, strike 1 being that he didn't offer any information about insurance, etc. the first time you talked to him. These days, all this info is just a mouse click away. Hope that helps. Linda

• 17 years ago

I just ask contractors if they are bonded and insured...and ask them to bring proof when they come to give me a bid. Anyone who is worth his/her salt will NOT get offended.

• 17 years ago

A friend of mine hired a tree person to remove trees. The guy "said" he had insurance, etc. but no proof was ever asked for. The man had an accident where a branch punctured his eye. The homeowner volunteered to rush him to the hospital, but he said "no, no, I'll get my own doctor to take care of it" and had his helper drive him home. Obviously he didn't have insurance or he would have gone straight to the hospital. My friend then lived in fear he would come back to him and sue him, but it didn't happen. Still he felt terrible for the worker, and lived with this fear of a potential lawsuit for months.

THe moral of the story is taking someone's word for it is not good enough. Ask to see papers.

• 17 years ago

Thank you all so much for the information. I did find the online state licensing information. when I asked the guy for license info & references, he was having a beer with buddies (at 3:30 in the afternoon on Friday) and said he'd get back to me in a few days. He called & left me a license # & gave me another name (their "CEO" or something), and it's on the public website, but it's not in his name, I can't find any info on a business associated with it, just a residential address & phone number. he left me a couple of references, but one is the person through whom he emailed me a quote. I think I'm just going to call him & tell him I've hired someone else. there's some thing hinky here. what do you all think?

• 17 years ago

Don't be afraid to ask--most reputable contractors (especially commercial contractors), are either bonded or insured. In addition to state governments, many municipalities have ordinances requiring contractors to be either bonded or insured and registered. Your city's building dept. may be able to provide more information and may be able to tell you who is registered (the individuals doing business under a company name do not necessarily have to be registered provided the company is).

If you do use a contractor who is bonded or insured through his/her employer rather than individually, I would advise that the employer be a named party to the contract. Otherwise, if it is a "side job" for the contractor and something happens, the employer's carrier would likely deny coverage.

• 17 years ago

That's a good decision. If it were my house that last incident would have been strike 3, you're out! He couldn't make things right even before getting the job. Don't forget, contact any insurance company independently to make sure that whoever you're considering is currently covered. Please post pics when the job is finished, here, and on Garden Junk. Linda

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor