Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celastrina

No cukes or zucchini forming

17 years ago

My wonderful garden is now upsetting me. I have nurished these plants from seeds and they are not paying me back for all of my hard work.

The tomatoes love me, they are 3.5' high and full of wonderful little nuggets of goodness. The green beans are going to make a wonderful stir fry in about 2 weeks and the yellow squash are just the right size to put in a summer salad.

But, arrgg, the zucchini and cukes! On the cukes there are so many beautiful flowers (heirloom lemon cukes) but they shrivel up and die. i even got out there with my paintbrush to hand pollinate, NADA!!!!! The zucchini just flat out aren't making female flowers. I have had a steady onslaugh of male blossoms for 3 weeks now. The plants have decided that this is all they are going to do and now they are turning yellow an dying on me. What is going on?

thx!

Comments (16)

• 17 years ago

Be patient. The male flowers show up first. Soon the female flowers will appear.

Do you have bees? If not, it's probably necessary to pollinate them yourself, as you've been doing.

The link at the bottom shows male and female blossoms for cukes. See that tiny cucumber/ovary on the female blossom? When those flowers start appearing, that's when the action starts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber male/female flowers

• 17 years ago

I am trying so hard to be patient, I am mainly worried because I didn't think they were supposed to produce only male flowers for 3 weeks on end. The crooknecks that I started later are covered in little fruits. How long until the zucchini start with female flowers?

Thanks for the answer on the cukes though, I had no idea I had to wait for female blossoms on those too. I hope those love me as much as my tomatoes do. I can't wait to sink my teeth into them.

:) I love spring and summer!

• 17 years ago

celastina

From the link below:

Gardeners often become concerned when many
    flowers appear early but fruits fail to set. The reason
    for this is that all of the early flowers are males.
    Female flowers develop somewhat later and can be
    identified by the miniature fruit at the flower base. In
    hybrid varieties of summer squash, however, the first
    flowers to appear are usually females and these will
    fail to develop unless there are male squash flowers -
    and bees - in the nearby area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Set in Melons and Cucumbers

• 17 years ago

well, careful search of the zucchini indicated I have got one female blossom. It was much harder to tell apart the male and female on the zuch than the crooknecks. But I have one!!!! Woo HOO! Maybe the plants aren't too mad at me after all. Now for the yellow leaves problem. How can I post a picture of that?

Thanks to all!

• 17 years ago

Use the picture gallery at gardenweb and post a link to it.

• 17 years ago

{{gwi:49712}}

so what is the verdict on this little guy?

• 17 years ago

The "plant" does not look like it's turning yellow, just one leaf. Pull it and the flowerless stem off, they're taking energy from the plant for no reason. The plant looks plenty healthy.

• 17 years ago

That yellow blossom looks male to me! So does the unopened one. Which one do you think is female?

That yellow leaf looks like one of the very earliest leaves since it's at the outer base of the plant. All plants eventually shed their yellowing older leaves, so right now I'd just pinch it off to prevent any pathogens from entering the disintegrating tissues and not worry about it. If all your leaves start turning yellow, then you need to find out what's wrong -- that means a disease of some kind is present.

For what it's worth, I've NEVER had a squash plant with perfect leaves once it's planted. Maybe it's very noticeable because the leaves are so large and impressive. Some leaves dry up like the one in your picture, even an entire vining branch. Some get holes in them from insects or papery areas for some other reason. Some die of old age. But if they keep on producing, I don't worry about them since I plant a couple of batches about a month apart.

• 17 years ago

Whew-I am so relieved. Just the normal growing process. I will get out there and trim them up. Neither of those are the female. In fact the famale is so small that you wouldn't be able to see it in the pics, but there is one there! It is just so good to know that I am not at fault for the yellowing. Some are worse than others but I still have seed left so it should be fine if I have to yank one out.

Thx so much!

• 17 years ago

celastrina,

Sorry but I tend to agree, they both appear male.

Here is a photo of two blossoms,
    the one on the left is male,
    the one on the right is female:

Female blossom:
    {{gwi:49713}}

Don't waste the male blossoms, eat them! Stuff the male blossoms with cheese like fontina, saute or fry them with a light batter and eat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Blossoms Recipes

• 17 years ago

i had said "Neither of those are the female. In fact the famale is so small that you wouldn't be able to see it in the pics, but there is one there!"

They are both male, I don't srgue that one, that is one of the probs. out of all ot the zucchini i planted i have one female (1/4 inch long) but at least there is a female. I was posting the pic because i was more worried that the plants were diseased. But thanks to everyones help I know they aren't.

Stuffed blossoms are great but if i eat one more i will be sick! 3 and half weeks of them so far. lol

• 17 years ago

Have friends or family or neighbors who would like to try them? I'm sure they'd be grateful.

• 17 years ago

It seems some plants have mind of their own. They'll decide best time and temtature to give fruit. My zucchini did the wired thing this year. I had many male and female flowers but fruit stayed only 2 to 3 inches long for many weeks. So being a frugal gardener, what did I do? I havested tender stocks and flowers and small fruits anyway. Did you know Zucchini leaves and stems are all edible? Break off cut ends to peel prickly skins and blench it in boiling water then rinse, squeeze, chop, sautee with butter and garlic it's delicious. My grandma cook with all her squash greens. Now weather is getting warmer finally zucchinies growing fatter for the first time this year. You just have to let nature take their time.

• 17 years ago

The cucurbit family is notoriously problematic in florida, primarily due to nemotodes. I've never had much success with squash in fla, and have also found that yellow crookneck does better than zuke, I think probably because it's a bit faster and has more chance of beating the 'todes.

Also, from your picture the plant looks like it's suffering from insufficient nutrients and/or lack of sun.

• 17 years ago

That plant has the same problems I had in college: could never get a date at the right time.

I don't suppose finding more plants to pollenate with is an option?

Clock

• 16 years ago

Hi all,

I have a similar problem....I have healthy (seemingly so) yellow straightneck squash that are producing a mass of male blooms (I know a female from a male) and have been for about 3 weeks now, but not ONE female blossom yet! It's driving me absolutely NUTS because yellow squash are about my most favorite thing from the garden! Does anyone know WHY this happens? I have had a garden for several years and have never had this problem. Our weather over the last few weeks has been very hot and dry, but I have been watering every other day or so with a drip irrigation system, so moisture shouldn't be a factor. I'm careful not to over-do the watering too. The plants are very healthy looking, haven't seen bugs on them (but we have plenty of bees on the male flowers). I've just never had it be so long between the onset of male blossoms and seeing female blossoms. I'm just curious as to if this is an environmental factor (heat, cold, etc.) or if it's caused by something else. The odd thing is that I have a neighbor down the road who has been picking fruit already!