Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kev843

Would this simple mix work for blueberry plants in a container?

16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if a 50/50 of peat moss and miracle grow organic potting soil would work well.

I am new to gardening in general,so the easier the better for me right now.

Also I am growing Powder blue and tifblue,are these good varieties?I know they are good for my area just wondering as far as taste and such.

Both of them are rated as mid season I know this will mean that I wont be able to harvest through out the season but will there be any other bad effects?

Comments (11)

• 16 years ago

I use 100% peat moss. Fertilize with acid loving plant stuff. Seems to work great. Make sure you wet the moss down very good...I only use rainwater. Mine are still dormant (in containers), but hope to have them break soon.

• 16 years ago

Thanx Frank,

Do you or anyone else have any more info on these varieties
    or other potting mixes?

• 16 years ago

You definitely should read the blueberry page on Dave Wilson's site:

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/blueberries.html

• 16 years ago

I would not recommend using any commercial potting mix, unless it is specifically for acid loving plants, as they will very likely have added lime to help neutralize the peat. I have used just pure peat mixed with coarse sand, topped with pine bark nuggets, and the plants loved it. 100% peat probably holds too much water, at least in areas that receive frequent rainfall.

• 16 years ago

Well I couldnt wait any longer and went to the store before some of the other posts were made:(
    I looked around at all the different potting soils and still went with the MG organic potting soil.
    I have a ph soil tester and from past expirence know that the MG organic has a ph on the low side.
    I did mix in a good amount of peat with it.
    I have tested the soil now and its about 4.9ph.
    So that should be ok right?
    I also added some perlite but Im worried not enough:(
    The only thing Im worried about is that it seemed to take too long to drain after watering!
    I tried to work some more into the first coulpe of inches.

Does it sound like they will be happy in there new home???

• 16 years ago

Well IM pretty sure I have a problem no as the water was still draining small amounts about 2 1/2 hours later.
    I sucks being a newb lol.
    Sould I see if it can survive or pull it up and start a new mix with more perlite.
    Its already starting to form little green berries and I really dont want to loose my new friend:)

• 16 years ago

I use maybe half-and-half peat (the typical baled Sphangum type, usually incorrectly called peat moss) and finer ground pine bark. The latter can be as coarse as "mininuggets" or as fine as "soil conditioner." To make it even less soggy the peat can be reduced to one-third (it is really just filling the spaces between the pine-bark pieces) or some perlite can be added. Some cottonseed meal fertilizer and a small amount of vermiculite can be added if handy, but is not necessary.

• 16 years ago

I used the recipe on the Dave Wilson Website. The plants are looking VERY healthy. In the past, I used peat moss and potting soil and the plants did not do well. Well actually, they died.

Nancy

• 16 years ago

Hi Nancy

Let me ask you this...What leaf mold or forest humas based potting soil did you use?

Did you find the coarse peet moss?

Did you use pine for your pathway bark?
    Was it 1/4 in?
    Did you mix it in or just leave the bark on top?

Sorry to go on and on,Its just that I already planted 1 of my blueberries in potting soil and peat and its NOT HAPPY!!!
    Trying to make sure I get the next one right:-)

Thanx

• 16 years ago

Hi, No worries. I am happy to answer your questions. I used this recipe. http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/bluecontainer.html
    I received a copy of it at a lecture w/ Tom Spellman. I took the piece of paper to my local nursery (not Lowe's or Home Depot) and I was given the items. I am doing some of it from memory because I ended up using up the whole bag and threw it away. For the Pathway bark, I used Greenhouse Mini Mulch Orchid Bark. It did not say 1/4" but I would say so. It just says forest bark, I doubt it is Pine.

I used Acid Loving - Azalea Mix. This is what it said on the bag. It may have been Greenhouse which is Kellogg's.

The Garden Sulfur was by Espoma. They did not have this at my local nursery so I got it at Home Depot.

On the paper that I got from Dave Wilson it did not mention the course Peat Moss. I used whatever I had on hand which was Premier Professional Peat Moss which is finer than most.

I used a bucket for everything except the sulfur and filled it and then dumped it onto a tarp. I mixed everything really good, used my hands and then a shovel. Then I put it into the container and then I put the bareroot blueberry in. It was a little over a month ago and it is doing beautifully.

I hope I answered your questions, if not, please ask again.

Nancy

• 16 years ago

Yes it did thanx,

I have been looking everywhere but havent found anything like azalea soil mix,which is real funny considering where I live the nickname is flowertown and every yard you look in has Azaleas lol.