Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Crazy about wrought iron in the garden!

16 years ago

Here is a picture of my latest wrought iron gate. I've gone nuts for the iron look in the garden. The second photo is of (believe it or not, I never would have guessed, given I don't smoke), a vintage wrought iron smoking stand. I need ideas on how to display it.

One thought comes to mind. Another trellis, or perhaps to hold something like a gazing ball or a hanging plant? I just won it on eBay, so I won't know until it arrives, just how much space I have in the top area, as far as being able to put a gazing ball in there. Another thing I thought about was putting in a dish for bird seed. There would be plenty of room for the birds to perch on the bars and get to the seed.

Mango Moon

{{gwi:130785}}

{{gwi:130786}}

Comments (18)

• 16 years ago

Oh I adore wrought iron. My job is in enforcement, and I went to a complaint site and there was the most TO DIE FOR wrought iron fencing sitting in the WONDERFUL piles of junk the guy had on the property. Oh I wanted to dig sooo badly, and thought about asking him if he'd sell me that fencing...but then I realized, since I was about to fine him big time, he probably wouldn't. Darn it!!

I think that smoking stand would make a divine birdfeeder.

• 16 years ago

I love your vignette with that beautiful wrought iron. Are you in Florida Texas or Ca?
    I scarfed some at a garage sale Large gate and several smaller pieces.My elderly dad enjoyed sanding it but I haven't done anything else with it.I guess I ought to get going with it!
    Pesky,get someone else to do your dirty work and maybe theyll sell it to them(for You)

• 16 years ago

Love your gate. I found mine on the side of the road. I'm not too brave about rescuing off the side of the road yet so came back after dark when it was raining and about 20 degrees. Oh yeah and I'd just spent $80 dollars on meds cuz I was sick. Brave, I'm not but dumb? I'm your gal.
    Your smoking stand would make a great bird feeder and still leave room for a ball underneath. Be sure and post pics when you've got it done.
    Re

• 16 years ago

Mango Moon:
    That looks fantastic !!!
    I love it.....
    Hey...... are you going to hang something from the
    bar across it.... or what....
    or just place it where the ash tra y use to sit...?
    Well it looks good whatever....
    Thanks for sharing the PIcs !!!!
    Happy New Year 2008!!
    God Bless !
    susiesunshine

• 16 years ago

I love your finds. I have seen ashtrays used for bb stands, or a bird feeder would be great too.

• 16 years ago

Lovely!
    I, too, like wrought iron, and have always
    bought all I found, if I could afford it!
    The stand would make a nice bird or butterfly
    feeder. You will have to search for a container
    the some size as the ashtray was....

• 16 years ago

I just love that gate! It's gorgeous!! I like the idea of a birdfeeder for the smoking stand, or you could maybe fit one of those pots that look like a bowl, and put some trailing plants in it. That would look really pretty. I have several stands that look like that, and I can't stop buying them when I see them! They just look great with a plant in them!

• 16 years ago

I have a 'smoking stand' similiar to yours. I used my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, to remove the handle on top. This gave me plenty of room to put a potted plant on it. Currently it has a "Kangaroo Paw" fern in it. Looks neat!
    Rusty

• 16 years ago

Goldenpond: I am in CA. These garden treasures are rarely found on the side of the road, let alone in a thrift shop. The only way I can get my hands on them is to purchase them. With the exception of the iron smoking stand, I purchased the Victorian trellis gate with the finials, on a website along with this one called a ball trellis with topiary. Check this one out. I paid about $125 for both including shipping, but when you want something....you gotta do it! I do have another gate I purchased for only $11 on eBay, but sometimes you can't find everything you want on eBay. I think I will use the smoking stand for a bird feeder.

{{gwi:130788}}

This one here, I have placed at terra cotta planter at the bottom, so I can grow Cornflowers. I have been on the 'Vines' forum, going over and over what type of vine to use with my iron treasures, but decided long cottage flowers would not hide or take over the piece, like a vine could.

• 16 years ago

Wow, CA is much pricier. I am in REal Estate and prices are cheap now,Any takers?

• 16 years ago

I love wrought iron too. I think the birdfeeder would be a great idea also(-: Im in CA too and sometimes you find cool things at garage sales/flea markets etc(-:

• 16 years ago

Goldenpond: I purchased the wrought iron from Illinois LOLL, and what I paid is less than what I would have paid right here in CA. I don't buy anything in CA, except groceries and gas.
    Real Estate is dropping. CA will lead the recession parade soon! Hi Cindee: I do alot of flea markets, but when lazy, eBay fills the gap. I go to the goodwill at least 2 times a week. The solar ball in the first photo above, sits in a wrought iron thingee, which I bought for less than $2 at the goodwill.

• 16 years ago

Wrought iron is wonderful in the garden! I love the pieces you have. The gate is very nice, and the stand has so many possiblities! It would make a wonderful bird feeder or bath with so many places for the birdies to perch.

What is in your birdbath? It looks like colored pieces of glass.

I have wrought iron and rusty metal all over my yard and gardens. I love it!

~Sandy~

• 16 years ago

Mango, I agree with everyone else. And your vignette with the old gate is delightful.

Re...LOL...you sound like me. I'm not brave at all.
    hugs, Karen

• 16 years ago

Mango Moon, I have that exact black iron stand!! It used to be an ash tray holder for my dad. I managed to cut that top bar off of it and now I have a pretty flower in a pot on it.
    {{gwi:130789}}

• 16 years ago

use2bcapecodr: The birdbath is one of my many mosaics. It is done in one pattern called Desert Rose. I just finished another one last night that will be called 'Vineyards' because it has a grape focal and delicious bright colors. I live among the CA vineyards, which is why I refer to it as that.

Sandy...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! you do have the same stand. I like what you did to it. Do you mind if I ask you how old the piece is, this way I get an idea as to how vintage it is.

I am going to have to either use mine as a trellis or bird seed feeder because I live below canyons and I can't have plants on stands as they fall and break during high winds.

• 16 years ago

Mangomoon, you might put a heavy gazing ball or bowling ball in the bottom of that piece to weight it down if you really want to use it as a plant stand. I saw in one of the other threads where someone did somthing similar to that. You guys have some great ideas concerning wrought iron. I have two wrougth iron corner posts (like what you have on a porch) that I put at the corners of my small patio area and have red honeysuckle growing up one side and hope to have it grow across to the other post. I will try and post pictures but I have to go back to one of the previous threads that talks about how to post pictures here. When I get that figured out, I will gladly share.

Please let us know what you wind up doing with the stand. I look forward to seeing it.

Ms. Faith

• 16 years ago

I am also a wrought iron fanatic. I collect wrought iron plant stands from the 50's and use them on the porch in the summer for house plants. In the colder weather they go in our stairwell greenhouse.
    Someday when I have a patio, I will put the wrought iron dining table set I was given out on it. It too is from the 50's and from a dear friend. We also have shelves, "art work" like old plaques from the 50's, vintage butterfly plaques (not all iron but most look like it!!), small tables, a vanity bench used as a garden bench....

I love that stuff!

GGG