Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunghui

Please post Persimmon fall color Pics!

13 years ago

It would be a delight to see others' pics of persimmon fall color! I had fall color for the first time in several years and will share pics of several varieties if I can ever get posting pics down straight.

sunghui

Comments (12)

• 13 years ago

I know you are more interested in D. kaki, but I thought I would show you what D. virginiana looks like in fall color. The photo is of two male trees that were planted about 15 feet apart MANY years ago, back in the 1970's. The fall color is generally a bright yellow, but they can develop some orange and red shades as well, probably is weather dependent (?).

[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/Dmich3210/AmericanPersimmon2007.jpg[/IMG]

{{gwi:125705}}

• 13 years ago

Tecumseh is a lovely vigorous tree with excellent late fruit.

{{gwi:125706}}

• 13 years ago

My Fuyu Persimmon tree leaves are dropping off without the slightest change in color. That leaves lots of unripe persimmons to look at.

• 13 years ago

BTW, does anyone know if I should leave the persimmons in the above picture on the tree? Will they ripen in this PNW maritime climate? We may drop to 17F degrees in the next couple days. Will that destroy them?

• 13 years ago

You can harvest them before hard frost. And 17F is certainly hard enough . They will ripe inside w/o problem.
    At least this is what I do with my Fuyu and the taste is wonderful. They will gradually change color inside to bright orange, but you can eat them before that.
    Olga

• 13 years ago

I think a full load of persimmons on a bare tree is very decorative.

If you prefer to eat them while firm however, I would definitely harvest them before the frost. Frost doesn't harm persimmons, but it softens them up.

• 13 years ago

Sung Hui was copper colored this year. The last time we had fall color, several years ago, it was multicolored, with lavender tones. Different but always lovely!

{{gwi:125707}}

• 13 years ago

If I could have only one (no!), it would be San Pedro. A drawback for some people might be that, here at least, as a practical matter it needs to be cured. It will eventually lose astringency just sitting but it takes a long long time. For Fall color, fruit quality, earliness, and productivity it is in the top echelon.

The color varies all over the tree. Every branch is a little different. There is no fruit in the pics because I harvest San Pedro as soon as it gets color (it's sweet and full flavored as soon as it colors up.) and ship it hard to friends and family around the country.

{{gwi:125708}}{{gwi:125709}}{{gwi:125710}}

• 13 years ago

Eureka persimmon. Leaves damaged by hail in the San Antonio area.
    {{gwi:125711}}

• 13 years ago

Tam Kam has a naturally elegant growth habit. It fruits a bit late for the Columbia Basin. But the long warm Fall this year allowed plenty of time for the heavy tasty fruit to ripen. (It's 7 degrees F outside right now. Hard to believe that a week ago we still hadn't had a freeze.) I'd been harvesting for several weeks when the steel bowl of fruit was picked. They were some of the last persimmons harvested.

{{gwi:125712}}{{gwi:125713}}

• 12 years ago

Sunghui
    How was your Tam Kam taste like? Thanks

• 12 years ago

Wabash is a variety of American persimmon that has bright red leaves in fall, as well as good fruit.
    John S
    PDX OR