Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepbob1

'RainGrow' Organic fertilizer

16 years ago

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with "RainGrow" Organic Fetrtilizer? The N P K is 4-2-3, it is manufactured in Canada, but sold also here in the States. i had used a fish/seaweed combo last season as a supplemental fertilizer and iam not too sure if i "liked" the results. Iam looking forward to your comments!

Comments (7)

• 16 years ago

Are you using this on the soil or in containers?

I have not used RainGrow but see it is a compost/plant based liquid.

Should be fine in soil, but not so great in a container.

• 16 years ago

Thanks, i was going to use it on plants in the ground and in containers. Why not containers?

• 16 years ago

We've used it on houseplants for a couple of years with great results. My wife had picked up a small jug of it for free at a horticulture convention. It is mostly composted chicken manure. Houseplants we'd had for a long time, and never thought of as flowering plants, bloomed for the first time when we started using it. Now we use it very sparingly in the garden, when transplanting seedlings. We should use compost tea or manure tea for that but sometimes we get lazy. I do prefer Raingro for indoor plants though. Pleasant smell and impressive results. I would think it would be fine for containers.

• 16 years ago

The 'why not' in containers is that organics require soil critters to make the nutrients in the material available to plants. In a typical container there are no soil critters other than bacteria and their activity level fluctuates with temp, moisture and air levels which are erratic in containers.

It isn't that organics can't work in containers rather it is that the nutrients the plant needs will be delivered in an uncontrollable way since the bacteria have to do all the heavy lifting.

For a houseplant I can certainly see it working out fine as the moisture and temp levels will be much more even and the plants don't have high nutrient demands, but for outdoor containers you may end up finding the results less than acceptable as you apparently did with your fish/seaweed combo.

• 16 years ago

An expensive and unnecessary product if you have built the soil in your garden into that good, healthy soil well balanced with nutrients and alive with the Soil Food Web. If might be useful for containers if the soil in the containers is composed of the dead, non renewable peat moss, but if the container soil is compost it will be unnecessary there too.

• 16 years ago

Houseplants grow in containers. Indoors, outdoors, what difference does it make. People grow bushes in their basements hydroponically using liquid organic fertilizers (legend has it).

"There are a number of good, organic fertilizers available, made from fish, seaweed, etc. that can be used to feed seedlings once they have developed their first true leaves. Find one and use that but for these seedlings dilute whatever you use to half strength." - Kimmsr on another current thread

If it works it works.

• 16 years ago

thanks for the feed back. all around, i would be using it as a suuplemental fertilizer in the garden, thats interesting about the house plants tho, i think i'll try it on some of those also. Thanks again to all!