Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdahl_gw

Interesting pots

17 years ago

Was at our local nursery today, and my DH was looking for bonsai pots. I noticed something new I've never seen before (and sure wish I'd brought my digicam to take pictures). Something along the lines of self-watering African violet pots, either one or two sections. The removable inserts were glazed except for the bottom 3/4 (clay pots), and there was a hole in the top of the sealed outside pot for adding water. I guess the idea is to keep water in the bottom, which will constantly keep the lower clay portion of the inner pots moist (including media), without waterlogging the media. Eventually I'm going to try this, but haven't the time for it yet. Sure sounds like a good experiment to me and when I put something together, I'll report on it. There have to be small orchids (the pot inserts are rather small) that would just love that kind of environment, beautiful enough for household use.

I'm a huge experimenter, and this sounds very promising.

Sharon

Comments (10)

• 17 years ago

A great one for that experiment would be bog type terrestrials. Namely Ludisia Discolor! Possibly a phal but more than likely not. As for the other epiphytic orchids, that setup would definitely lead to their demise.

• 17 years ago

That sounds cool.
    I love to experiment as well...usually to the deteriment of my plants. Can't wait to see a pic of the pot once you get around to buying one. Keep us posted!

• 17 years ago

It might work well for phals if you use a medium grade bark or smeting similar to keep the airflow going to the roots. I think it would probably rot em if you used sphag in the pots for a medium but maybe if you mixed it with lavarock to keep it more open and airy. Good luck with your experiment.

• 17 years ago

Yeah, and write back. I have also seen those pots and am a little curious.
    I think orchid folk in general are a little experimental. That's what gets us into this mess in the first place.

• 17 years ago

I asked about these pots on another thread, the general consensus was no. What about LECA (clay aggregate) or some other inorganic media as a medium? At least that way you can reduce the pathogen risk. A local pot place has 40% off everything ATM, I might grab one and see how it goes. Even if its a spectacular failure for an orchid, I'm sure I could try to grow an African violet.

• 17 years ago

They're great for african violets. I don't think bark would work in them, because it relies on capillary action to get the moisture into the mix. Leca maybe.

• 17 years ago

I've seen Phals growing in coco-peat, maybe that would be a good option for this style of pot. I assume growing them this way would keep them evenly moist (just what Phals like). Maybe coco-chunks would be better, they would be more aerated. A mix of both?

• 17 years ago

For this type of pot, there are 2 ways of doing it.

1: The plant must be a bog type orchid. If planted in any type of organic media it must have the ability within to ward off fungal/bacterial rot by being evolved enough to withstand constant moisture! PERIOD.

2: For epitphyttic plants that like to be on the moist side you could use any other NON organic media. In tern you would simply be transforming the pot&reservoir into a semi~hydro environment. The use of any organic media would run high risk of infection to the plant due to the rapid breakdown of the media. For S/H you could use pulverized clay pots, LECA, Gravel, Lava rock, Pearlite or even glass beads/marbles. If you are forgetful in you watering regime, suspend a small piece of twine/thread from the pot to the reservoir for extra wicking.

The use of organic media can be used but ONLY with orchids that LOVE water. Perfect example is something I did the week before you posted this. I placed a Ludisia discolor a compact fern and a sundew into a large african violet pot(8inch resivoir). The sundew loves light but the Ludisia despises lots so it is placed just behind another light loving warm orchid( Epi stamfordium) and the pot is arranged with the sundew in front, then fern then ludisia. Just tonight I put a clipping of Goodyera pubescens in front of the Ludisia.

• 17 years ago

I'd like to see these pots. Sounds like it might be a viable answer to keeping the roots cool/damp on my pleuros etc.,in FL during the warmer months. A nice alternative to slimy terracotta trays in summer.

Orchidaholic-you've got a lot to learn.

• 17 years ago

Could you grow anything in them without media, just held in place by some stones? Could the roots just attach to the permanently moist clay? Vandaceous spp. maybe?