Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Info on Citrus Splash and Golden Zest

I am considering these two roses - have read good things about Golden Zest and photos on helpmefind are beautiful. I wanted to put Citrus Splash in a large pot next to an arbor. The one comment I read on it was that it was a great bloomer. Can anyone comment or have photos to share? Thanks!

Judith

Comments (5)

• 15 years ago

Judith, I have both, and so far I haven't seen any blooms on GOLDEN ZEST at all in 3 seasons. But, where I planted it, the soil isn't very good, so not much in that bed does bloom. I need to amend it this yr! As for CITRUS SPLASH... Mine is still in a big pot waiting to be planted in the ground. It's sitting in a semi-shady spot, and it did pretty decently there last yr. I think it kind of likes the shade. It rebloomed pretty well; probably 4 decent flushes. The blooms don't really last all that long, but they are quite pretty, altho they do tend to fade quite a lot. The stems get so full of blooms that they tend to nod a bit. All in all, I think it's going to be a very nice landscape bush.

{{gwi:215359}}

• 15 years ago

Beth, even tho CS fades....it sounds like it might work in the spot I have planned for it. It would get excellent sunlight. Since it has so many blooms.....maybe the faded ones would also have new ones to offset. Are the blooms smaller or floribunda size? Since you grow so many great roses, could you possibly suggest a companion to go in the other pot on the opposite side of the arbor? Perhaps a stripe? I plan to get Julio Iglesis at Teas Nursery in Houston next month......thought they might balance each other but if you can think of another stripe that would look good, I am all ears. Now not sure whether to order GZ or not.......everything I read about it says it is a top notch bloomer. Hopefully someone else will comment....No need ordering a rose that doesnt bloom well...
    Judith

• 15 years ago

Judith, the blooms on CS are around 3" or so. If you want to go with another rose in the similar color range, how about ORANGES 'N' LEMONS, RAINBOW NIAGARA or TROPICAL SUNSET? In my garden, they all average around 4ft or more, with TS & RN often reaching 5ft. ONL stays a bit shorter. TS repeats the best, with longest lasting blooms, but RN is a bit closer in the coloring to CS. Or if you want to go with something more shrubby, and not sriped, maybe RAINBOW SORBET?

• 15 years ago

Beth.....I love Tahitian Sunset!! One of my very best!! What I was wanting was another heavy blooming shrub type to go in a pot on the other side of the arbor. This area will one day be a bed, but I am going to do the lasagna method on the soil, so will be utilizing roses in pots for at least a year. Since Citrus Splash seemed to be a shrubbier type, I was looking for something with the same kind of growth. I have a Rainbow Sorbet and love it, already planted in another bed. Was looking for something I didnt have [and you are just the person to make a suggestion!]. I considered Julio I. as he was striped and a floribunda.....Whats Rainbow Niagra's growth like?
    Judith

• 15 years ago

RAINBOW NIAGARA tends to grow fairly upright, to between 4 and 5ft high, and maybe at most 3ft wide. The blooms are pretty. But if you want something stripey that's a more shrubby-type bush, maybe take a look at MOCKIN' BIRD. It's a lovely red/white one that is almost always loaded with blooms. It averages about 3½-4ft high and as much as 4ft wide.

RAINBOW NIAGARA
    {{gwi:215360}}

MOCKIN' BIRD
    {{gwi:215362}}