Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

When to thin Broccoli Seedlings

15 years ago

Hi all, when I started my broccoli, I planted 3 seeds per cell (using the 72 count trays) many of the cells now have 2 and some 3 seedlings started. They are just showing signs of the first set of true leaves, I was wondering when I thin them and how? I dont want to keep but one plant from each cell, I dont want to try to transplant the ones I thin out. also, when do I transplant my remaining seedlings to their own pots?

Comments (5)

• 15 years ago

If you aren't going to transplant the extras (which is a sad waste) and plan to just snip all the extras off, then the sooner you do it the better. There is nothing to be gained by letting them grow on and they are only stressing the ones you plan to keep.

Dave

• 15 years ago

I started my broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts and lettuce the same way but I want to keep them, is it better to separate early as opposed to later due to the roots binding together? I separated my kale yesterday, They sprouted about 4-5 days ago and they were still standing this morning, any comments, experiences??

• 15 years ago

I am just worried that I will mess up if I try to transplant when I thin and lose all my seedlings.. I have never done this before but if I were to try to transplant them, when do I do this?

• 15 years ago

My experience is to thin them sooner rather than later, I've had good luck for a few years doing it. All my Kale that has been transplanted and survived but lost a few due to overseeding, it happens. I use a spoon and slide it an inch away parallel to the tap root and dig 2" past the length of the plant itself, it should lift out with a little help of your finger, have the hole in the new pot ready thats deeper than the lenght of the root. Then just place the seedling in its hole and slide the spoon out. Trial and error will teach a lot but a hint cant hurt. I would do this when the plant is like 3-4" tall, or when it has set its true leaves. The roots will bind quickly so its better sooner than later, I separated mine when they were just sprouting, about 2"-3" tall, I'd say its safe then for the broccoli.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the advice greenthumb..I think I will try a couple tomorrow and see how it goes..