Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliebw_gw

Tiger Eyes Cutleaf Staghorn Sumac

18 years ago

I just purchased this plant. Beautiful foliage! Wiill it spread by its roots like the wild form of this plant?

Comments (15)

• 18 years ago

I have had one in one year and it has made no sign of spreading. My understanding is that this one won't spread.

• 18 years ago

I would expect some suckering eventually. Green cutleaf sumacs may sucker, why not this one? Claims of lower height and lack of suckering would presumably be based on yellow foliage imparting less vigor. But: has it been grown long enough and widely enough to know long-term behavior, under varying site conditions?

Technically your plant is 'Bailtiger', with Tiger Eyes being a trademarked selling name rather than the name of a specific clone. Searching for cultivar name 'Bailtiger' will help you get appropriate hits.

• 18 years ago

To answer your question: Yes! I forget exactly when I planted this, but I think it was early fall '03. It grew at a modest pace last year, but has shown all of the attributes of the species this year. It is now 4-5'tall and 7-8' wide. It has thrown out half a dozen suckers this summer, with one already over 2' tall. It does have beautiful foliage, but it's rampant grower that will consume real estate. I'll be moving it. ;(

{{gwi:271634}}

• 18 years ago

Wow! Just like its relatives, I guess. Can you dig out and give away the suckers?

• 18 years ago

OH...: ( I have really liked mine...I'm saddened to hear it eventually goes on a rampage. Also a little angry to be misguided by the nursery and information shared by them...grrr.

• 18 years ago

Bailey doesn't claim no spreading, only slow spreading. Then it becomes a matter of how "slow" is defined in this instance; some plants spread alot faster than "half-a-dozen" shoots per year. And suckerous shrubs and trees like locusts and sumacs can be seen both sprouting vigorously as well as hardly at all, in different locations. With such plants Your Mileage Will Definitely Vary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bailey Nurseries, Inc. - Bailey News Flash

• 18 years ago

I've got one and haven't planted it yet because I'm doubtful of the claim of "mature height and spread 6 feet". If the native gets to 15', well... I actually concluded that I should split the difference, and plant it somewhere that it wouldn't be a problem for it to get 10' tall or more...

• 18 years ago

Basic, I wouldn't mind one of those suckers. And Giboosi, don't try to overwinter it in the garage. I tried it last year only to lose it, and the nursery confirmed that it's a tricky plant to overwinter in a pot.

Sharon

• 18 years ago

The green cutleaf has a different, shorter habit than the typical plant as well.

• 18 years ago

I have the perfect color match in this bed: Agastache rupestris. Together they are bold and beautiful to my eye.

• 18 years ago

Does anyone know if Tiger Eyes also have the fruit and upright cone thingies that other sumacs have and that last into the winter?

• 18 years ago

The plant that I saw in Duluth was not a sumac but thanks anyway. The ends of each branch of this shrub like plant had the end leaves brilliant yellow and red in a sort of "Rod Stewart" hair-do. Very spikey thin leaves where the leaves were green all the way up the branch until about 10 inches from the top where the leaves changed to yellow and red. Like a pointsettia's colored "flower" is just the green leaves changed to color, this shrub did the same thing. The leaves did not change shape just color as it got to the ends.

• 17 years ago

My newly-planted sumac is showing a lot of fall color. Am I doing something wrong or have others noted that this summer everything, including Desdemona and H. Lancifolia, are about two weeks or more ahead of their fall schedules?

• 17 years ago

I gave my friend some suckers from my Tiger Eyes about a month ago. His are showing some red/orange leaves. I think it is stress from being newly planted and from the excessive heat and drought we are experiencing. Sumacs are tough plants and should be able to get through this with proper watering.

• 17 years ago

My one-year experience is that this plant gradually develops color all summer. We have had lots of heat but also record-setting rain.