Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddle_gw

TORO really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 years ago

I just ended many months of research on snowblowrers and ended up purchasing a Power Throw 522. Seems like a good machine, compared the the Areins, Simplicty, Sears. From what I needed, size of driveway hope it does the job,cost $1100(canadian funny money)

I noticed after reading the manual(clearly states "DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT HEAT SHIELD IN PLACE!") there was NO heat shield! I figured they forgot to put one on, so i called Toro and they said it was an OPTION. I could not believe they wanted another $40 for the shield, which i felt was a safety issue. Even in thier snowblower booklet the shield is clearly on their motors, yet you have to order one!Whats going on???All competitors had the heat shield as a standard safety part!

I called a couple of times and they basicaly said your"s**t" out of luck! you want one , order it! These guys got nerve! I'm tempted to return the machine but dealer is far away, so I will boycott toro and spread the word!! They may have good product, but their service SUCKS!

thanx for putting up with my rant

jim

...............i feel better

Comments (13)

• 17 years ago

You have every right to be peaved. This is a hell of a way to run a business. You would think these companies would show some concern about their image in the marketplace but their market is so big, they must not really care if they upset some along the way. I have never been a fan of Toro. In general, I think most of the products Toro offers are of fair quality at best. That may generate alot of controversy, but not intended too. Just a general feeling I just beleive is true.

• 17 years ago

Write a latter, to dealer,CC the president of Toro/and the state attorney. notifing them of a deceptive sale, to say the least. Think i would return it anyway, even if inconvient.

• 17 years ago

I suggest you contact the dealer and calmly express your disappointment about this situation. Rather than have an unhappy customer, he may decide to give you the part or at least a discount on it. This sounds like unusually poor service by Toro, contrary to my experience which so far has been good. What I find hard to understand is why both the factory and the dealer would let the machine go out the door without this necessary part. Let us know what happens.

AZ

• 17 years ago

what is the purpose of the heat shield, beyond the obvious meaning?

• 17 years ago

The purpose is to prevent any possible injury due to burn(I'm more concerned for my teenage son)But what I'm really mad about is that toro advertises the machine with the heat shield in place with no mention of an "option".

jim

• 17 years ago

I have seen this and not just on Toro. Some jurisdictions require certain devices under liabliity laws that are optional in others. The manufacturer only installs them where necessary to cut costs but one manual covers the complete line. Catalytic converters are a good example.
    We in Canada also run into this because CSA and UL standards differ. The Honda EU1000 generators come with a provision to hook two together in parallel to double current output. The American EU2000 units also have this feature, ours do not.

• 17 years ago

I think the entry in the manual is a litigation device, in other words, if you get burned then it is not their fault. Not only did they warn you but offered an optional extra for your added safety. Take it back. The Ariens is a better tool get that instead, Home Depot has an equivalent model for a similar price.

• 17 years ago

Yes Toro really does suck, I have had my Toro snowblower 5-6 years now, I had problems from day one, called, called and called again their customer service, never a reply. E-mailed customer service several times, no reply, called and obtained the name and e-mail of their president, e-mailed him, guess what no reply from him but he did pass it on to his customer service who gave me a half ass answer. Yes deffinitely do not bother with Toro, move on, you will get far better service from companies such as MTD who's products are no worst or no better than Toro but less intial purchase expense with far better service. You will not obtain anything from Toro after your purchase and have layed out your cash.

• 17 years ago

Take it back sell it buy the Ariens 926 DLE, throws snow 45-50 feet turns on a dime and most City crews use them.

• 17 years ago

I don't have an issue with the way it was sold. I for one would rather have the option of paying less money and doing without the safety features that protect idiots and frustrate adept folks.

• 17 years ago

tahclep:

I agree...

Bad service, no return calls would be enough for me to return the machine.
    ===================================================

You have Ariens, Simplicity and Honda who all make great machines. Honda is a bit on the expensive side though.

I have dealt with Ariens which has excellent customer service. I called them twice on two different occasions. They answered all of my questions and pointed me in the right direction when I needed an engine part and an accessory. Their warranty covers Tecumseh/Briggs engines for 3 years. They really stand behind their product.

I have not heard anything bad about Simplicity service either.

• 5 years ago

I've owned and worked on a lot of mowers and snow blowers in my days. That being said,I would never buy a Toro product. You can't beat a Honda. Period. Pry a few more bucks out of your wallet and save yourself a ton of grief.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Toro is equal or better than any other Blower Manufactured Period !