Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_ma

That time of year again, dragged home another old snowblower

16 years ago

I've been away from here for a while, how's everyone doing?

As seasons change, so do my snowblowers. For two years in a row I stayed with the same Toro 724, so this summer I bought a John Deere 826 for $75 off Craigslist. It's a nice machine and in good shape, but it doesn't excite me like I had hoped. So...

Just dragged home something that's been on my snowblower want list for years--a "modern frame" Simplicity 760 (7HP, 24"). Their third pattern, if I recall correctly, following the paddlewheel machines and the older-style fan models. Basically the same design as the current Pro models. I paid $100 for the thing, but it's in pretty sorry shape from apparently being used in a high-salt environment. Lots of the brown cancer.

On the plus side, I've never worked on a 24" machine this solidly built. The 80s-90s third-pattern Ariens ST824 comes close, but without the strength in the handlebars. Hopfully once I get everthing unstuck this'll be my main machine for the future. Might repaint it in the spring if I like how it performs.

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

Hi john_in_ma!

It has been a long time. Do you still have that early 60s Ariens and the Noma?

My handle suggests that I am a NJ resident but recently moved to NE PA. I am sure glad I bought my Ariens 1128DLE a few years back. My NJ neighbors thought I was nuts buying such a big machine ...but they did not know I had moving in mind. The Winters in NE PA are far more severe.

BTW, how does the Simplicity 760 engine run?

• 16 years ago

I sold the '63 Ariens 6/24 two years ago. It was a great machine, but I needed something more modern. I sold the Noma 12/33 this summer. Too large and powerful for its own good. Like a big tinfoil box.

The last couple years I've been using a small-frame 1996 Toro 724. It's essentially like new, and I really like it, but it's undersized.

The Simp's engine seems to be in good shape, but it needs a carb rebuild. Won't run smoothly very long. I'm not worried about it. Actually, about the engine: It's a Tecumseh HM70, a fairly uncommon model built on the block of the 8HP engine. Usually most 7HP Tecs you see are built on the older 6HP block. So in theory it's stronger than the 8 horse because the cylinder bore's smaller.

• 16 years ago

"I sold the '63 Ariens 6/24 two years ago. It was a great machine, but I needed something more modern. I sold the Noma 12/33 this summer. Too large and powerful for its own good. Like a big tinfoil box."

I really liked that '63. I would have installed a Clarence impeller kit. That would have made a huge increase in throwing distance and lessened the chance of clogging which is probably its greatest weakness. I installed one on my 2003 Ariens 1128DLE and now it easily handles slush with no clogs.

There is another forum on the internet that is more into snowblowers. Many of its members do SB restorations. A search on (snowblower forum; will get you there as it is one of the best out there. You have to find it yourself as GW.. is sensitive about the "competition" and posting links. They used to routinely send GW "non performers" to this "theme park" in Florida........ if you get my drift.

• 16 years ago

Found all my old snow photos. How's this for a retrospective?

Craftsman 5/21, used one season and sold online:
    {{gwi:323584}}
    Craftsman 7/24, never used and sold for scrap:
    {{gwi:323585}}
    Noma 5/24, never used and sold to neighbors:
    {{gwi:323586}}
    Ariens 6/24, used one season and sold online:
    {{gwi:323587}}
    Gilson 5/26, never used and sold to the Gilson collector:
    {{gwi:323588}}
    Noma 12/33, used two seasons and sold online:
    {{gwi:323590}}
    Toro electric prototype and Toro 7/24, used two seasons and still in service:
    {{gwi:323591}}
    Deere 8/26, waiting to be used:
    {{gwi:304386}}
    Rust bucket Simplicity 7/24, waiting to be used:
    {{gwi:323592}}

• 16 years ago

Interesting! I didn't know the non PowerShift Toros had a drum style auger. I thought it was reserved for their top of the line machines. Is that Toro drift breaker OEM? That is the longest bar I have ever seen!

The electric Toro 1800 is something I would be interested in when I need my wooden deck cleared as it is light enough to haul up the stairs. The only question is possible wood damage from kicking up splinters.

The Deere 826 looks like it has a cast iron (Ariens?)auger gear case which would make it the strongest (IMO) of all your machines but the Toro has the edge as far as traction.

The Simplicity is not as bad as I thought rust wise. IMO, it just needs chains or SnowHogs for those 30" snowfalls like you received about 4 years ago.

• 16 years ago

My old Ariens never clogged or misbehaved. Mainly, I sold it because the controls were awkward and dangerous, and the 40-year-old engine was getting tired.

All Toros used the drum auger until fairly recently. This model was current from about 1992 to 1999, I think. It's a really nice lightweight snowblower, but it's a little small for me.

The electric Toro works pretty well. I don't have much use for it, but it's a prototype/dealer sample so I figure probably fun to keep around.

The Deere is an actual Deere-built machine. The gearbox is a cast iron monster, larger than I'm used to seeing. Powdercoated, too. While the inner workings of the Deere are heavy duty, the frame and housing are pretty flimsy. Several broken welds.

Most of the rust on the Simplicity is in the bucket or underneath. The wheels and augers are rusted onto their respective axles. I have the feeling it'll take a lot of PB Blaster and torch heat to get them off. Looked it over a little more today, looks like the engine was shortblocked in 1992.