Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

No one warned me ornamental grasses are addicting!

16 years ago

I have some older clumps that I planted years ago - zebra grass, fountain grass, Chasmanthium and have always enjoyed them. There didn't used to be that many varieties availabe at the nurseries, pretty much just the old standbys back then - back then meaning about 5-6 years ago. (certainly was not easy finding Chasmanthium in the past, only one local nursery carried it)

So I went looking for some blood grass, and was surprised at the variety of ornamental grasses now available locally! Many of them are simply beautiful, and I'm glad they are now easily available.

I ended up getting (6) blood grass and (3) variegated bamboo (pleobactus - ? spelling), that ought to satisfy my urge for a while LOL!

If I had a bigger plot, though, or more room in the beds I have, I'd definitely add more :)

I get so many compliments on my mature clumps of zebra grass, that one seems to attract a lot of attention from folks.

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

There's no going back now : ) Even if you were warned you'd still be addicted! I have 2 fountain grasses, a Pennisetum, couple sweet flag grasses and I want to add at least 4 more. I get addicted to most perennials though, I have no shame. Daylilies are my thing now. Happy gardening!

Jen

• 16 years ago

Watch out for the bamboo!! Pleioblastus is a great little groundcover form, but spreads like greased lightning. This is one of the running bamboos and needs to be contained or it will claim your entire garden. And the neighbor's :-)

Ornamental grasses are excellent additions to perennial beds or mixed plantings. My preferences are to the evergreen forms (sedges, etc) because of their size and year round presence but a taller Miscanthus or Calamagrostis makes a great focal point! I just consider them another form of perennial and include them wherever appropriate.

• 16 years ago

I also have an addiction. I won't name them all (because I'd have to go look) but counting in my head, I have 23 different kinds.

What bothers me is that they take over. I'm dumping Northern Sea Oats right now because although I absolutely love it, I can't stand the stupid reseeding it does.

One of my favorites is Pony Tail Grass. It's medium in size, very blow-y in the wind and never flops. Blue fescues are great, too. I like switch grasses because again, they don't flop.

I gave away Miscanthus varigatus and Indian Steel because although gorgeous in color, one strong wind and they smush out everything underneath and beside them. I love Black Moudry because of it's low, large clumps.

And ... so on! :)

Yes, addicting.

Christine

• 16 years ago

When "gardeners" tell me the don't like grasses I have the same reaction I do when men tell me they "don't like cats". I'm instantly on "alert" and wary...

I think grasses are "way cool". Tall, drought resistant, and effortless graceful for fully 3 seasons! in a cold zone, how can you beat that? Like cats, they're perfect in every way!

And every man I dated who "didn't like cats" showed his true colors readily. The helpmeet was ambivilent about cats. But now he can't nap without one.

• 16 years ago

Try Miscanthus "Morning Light"! It's beautiful, especially when it's backlit by the sun.

• 16 years ago

Hi I saw and took a liking to miscanthus 'Rigoletto' in the States last year. Worth checking out. Its smaller than M. variegatus and a real top notch grass.