Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobluedjm

Young ceanothus flowering

13 years ago

This is my 2 of 3 young ceanothus tessajara blue.

They were planted Oct 2010 and already flowering.

Never before have any flowered the first year for me.

I know to give them water for the first year to establish but I am wondering what you guys and gals think. I surely don't want to overwater them like the concha and have them die on me. I just wonder if they are established enough to stop watering? Also am a little concerned about the few yellow leaves which can be a sign of over and underwatering.

When not enough rain this past winter during a couple dry weeks I watered them weekly.

That is ceanothus carmel creeper in the pic also from about 8 feet away.

{{gwi:527350}}

Comments (10)

• 13 years ago

Wow. How long do you think that wall block is going to stand? 2 more years?

Nonetheless, just because it is flowering doesn't mean it is established.

Dan

• 13 years ago

I agree they are not yet established and will need to be watered during this summer. You do not seem to have any mulch anywhere to help conserve any water in the soil from the winter rains. Your soil does not look like it has a drainage problem. Al

• 13 years ago

The better the drainage, the drier the soil. Since those plants are on a slope, I would keep watering. On flat ground it might be a different story.

• 13 years ago

I agree. First, the retaining wall needs to be addressed. It looks like it might come tumbing down. Secondly, your poor little Ceanothus are not going to do well as they are planted. It almost appears as though they're in a dirt pot. They are going to be very, very dry the way they're planted. They would do so much better if they were better seated into the hillside, and had a nice well. The are sort of sticking up and out?? Very odd.

Patty S.

• 13 years ago

It must be really steep there, and hard to plant. Perhaps you can put some of those retaining blocks in front of the plants to retain some more moisture, and keep their roots cooler. I think that they will be fine by themselves by next winter, as long as we have enough rain.

• 13 years ago

They are planted in a well, they are deeper than it looks and yes it is steep and not very walkable.
    The wall has been that way since moving in 4 years ago.
    There used to be just 2 rows of blocks I added a third...notice the different type of blocks. That is the only spot where it could use some soil. Looking at it all the time never really noticed it much. I guess I'll have to water the flat part up beyond the fence and bring some soil down. Its really only about an inch back underneath missing if its even that much.
    It is a problem area in planting and even steeper in other areas.
    It's rock hard up there now and very dry from all the wind.
    The wind is the reason no mulch it just blows it around and can't keep away from the stem.
    I have a growing rock quarry up there also.

• 13 years ago

I like the idea of a growing rock quarry. :)
    I don't know how you got up there in the first place, with that soil. It looks like you would need baseball cleats to walk up there.

The ceanothus look really good, though. I think once they cover the soil it will hold more moisture. Have you considered a temporary ground cover just to keep the area cooler and more stable?

Renee

• 13 years ago

I know you like rocks Renee, thats why I said it ;). But I really do have one. I just keep tossing them up there.
    Maybe I'll drag some down this weekend and place around.
    You really think it will help? I mean I have a waterfall and those rocks get hot.
    I could see if I could find another 1 or 2 of carmel creeper. The last one grew really fast.
    Not sure what other ground cover I might like there and then for it to be temp...
    Other than Lantana which looks dead here by Jan.
    The myoporum up on top takes too long to fill in.

• 13 years ago

The Carmel creeper you have established at the left will creep all the way across in a few years. I planted 50 Carmel creepers here, liner size, 6 feet apart and it took less than 5 years to fill in solid. In ten years they were four feet high. Al

• 13 years ago

Thanks A1. Yeah that carmel creeper is doing great. I've had just 2 cankers on it but thats the only problem. I am shocked it does so well here, but it does get some shade noon-2pm on the hot summer days. I just picked up 3 more carmel creeper tonight. If I can't get the joyce coulter or tessjara blue next weekend I'll put the cc there.
    Otherwise I will put cc up in myoporum cuz I figure in couple years it will have to cut back from being woody.
    I know its getting late to plant natives and yeah I would much rather do it in fall...but it is a bare spot...lol