Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Texas Pink vs The Spider Mites...[pics]

18 years ago

Well, all summer long Texas Pink has been fighting spider mites and sadly, neglect. I've not been diligent with my spraying or watering of this particular plant. Largely due to it's location.

It would put on lots of buds, then get an attack and drop them all or very near it. The neighbors across the street have been showing me up all summer with the one I gave them this spring.

Well the cool nights have done the trick. (And maybe, so has the alcohol and soap.) Here is a nice flush in spite of several dozen buds on the ground. Oddly though, this same plant had blooms twice this size last year. So the battle has taken it's toll. Perhaps next year I can be a better gardener.

{{gwi:542207}}

{{gwi:542208}}

Comments (14)

• 18 years ago

Good job! I'm wondering if some sort of systemic 'mite' help. :-)

• 18 years ago

TNGreenThumb

I see the top picture but on the bottom I see the box with the red x.

• 18 years ago

I see them both. Try reloading the msg.

I know what you mean about the spider mites. Mine have now become under control, but they have certainly taken their toll.

Nice photos.

• 18 years ago

W0W. I have been thrilled with mine this fall, but mine are NOTHING compared to what I am seeing on these sites. I guess i need to be more determined with the fertilizer. I do better every year though.

• 18 years ago

NGraham: Keep in mind that almost all of my plants are at least second year plants. I may have started with cuttings, but once I get a decent root ball and a nice straight trunk I keep them by lifting the entire plant in the Fall and planting it back outside in the Spring. It's hard work but very rewarding.

• 18 years ago

Last fall I dug my puniest brug, Ecuador pink, which is still less than 4' tall, but has bloomed quite nicely for its size. I am going to dig all this year & try to overwinter in the garage. I don't know where I will find the space, may have to park my car outside this winter!

• 18 years ago

NGraham: Slow growing brugs like the Ecuador Pink and the Versicolor Orange I have really benefit from being dug up and overwintered. I had three or four nice waves of blooms on the VO this year. Compared to none the first year I had it.

• 18 years ago

Where do ya'll get the Texas Pink I really want one. I hear they are great with our heat in Texas and bloom more. Do you agree???

• 18 years ago

how big of a rootball do you dig up?how big of a pot do you dig up.i've been cutting them off at base,rooting them,then growing them out in the greenhouse.i get the first flush of blooms in january this way.but i have one 9 foot brug tree that i want to dig.

• 18 years ago

As to spider mites...I battled some I recieved on a cutting.I thought would loose the cutting by spring,but made it and still presisted once was grounded,but when I sprayed my lemon tree with neemoil for whiteflies,by the 2nd application.the spider mites were gone on my brug.I waited 7 days in between sprays.It was not easy spraying a 20 ft lemon tree.some sprayed out on brugs as was up on ladder waveing my hose end feeder holding onto branch of oak tree.

I know ALL about them roots on brugs.I made my pond larger and moved mine last January& I had to use the dolly to relocate them.the mass of roots they form are TRUELY AMAZEING.

• 18 years ago

cindy

People will be cutting their brugs back for winter soon and they usually offer cuttings here on the exchange for postage or trade.

• 18 years ago

Cindy: Texas Pink is a name I gave a seedling of unknown parentage. It's not an official name yet as I wanted to give it a couple of years to prove itself.

As for how they would handle Texas, well I had hoped to get some feedback on that this year as I did send some cuttings to someone in Texas last Fall. So far I haven't heard anything. Interesting that you have though. Where did you hear that? They do seem to handle our summer heat better than some others do. As long as they get decent watering.

Normally I'd be one of those posting that I have cuttings for postage. However, we are just about to move into a new house and while I have taken some cuttings I will likely get rid of most of them this weekend at the Middle Tennesse Plant Swap. I may post a message later on in the Fall if I have many left over.

• 18 years ago

I was on a website that I was directed to either from here or DG and there was a description of a brug that was being introduced for our heat here in Texas....do you have a site maybe??? It was during the winter....

• 18 years ago

cindydj Maybe it was Cala's Tropicals? If yes then it was B. 'Eternity' that they mentioned as a good Texas brug. I don't think they carry it anymore.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor