Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Rolling Stones with the Garden Helper

16 years ago

I had this project in mind for a long time, but needed help with rolling my stones uphill. DGS dug out saplings, catbrier and groundcover, and placed the stones. It was really too hot to work, so I will haul backfill and finish the project some cool mornings.

This project is steps up through a long strip of pines with azaleas and hydrangea underneath. I've long wanted steps up the slope. There's an azalea I've already cut back and will give away and a hydrangea that has to relocate, to open up a path. This view is looking back over the steps toward the driveway:

He painted the old metal glider and we put it in the shade of some pecan trees looking back into the garden. I painted the matching chairs, which no longer match since I painted them pale lavender. They're under the grape arbor but there's no close up photo of them because we didn't have any white paint for the round table.

Nell

Comments (11)

• 16 years ago

A fine day's work. Reward yourself with a cool beverage and sit in that glider to observe your hard work.

Love the rock!

• 16 years ago

That's some good lookin' rock there, did I ever mention I've got a thing for good looking rock LOL, I'm forever dragging them home. Make my DH stop the truck in the most unlikely places if I spot a keeper.
    OMG, Pecan trees, how lucky are you. Pecan nuts, they're worth there weight in gold up here. YUM!
    You've certainly put in a good days work, doesn't it give you a sense of satisfaction to get things done.
    I finally got the rest of the path from H... cleaned out today, this path is only 14 1/2' long. It is composed of driveway chips and those big round pavers and was choked with grass, the roots felt like they were set in concrete. One more thing I can cross off my to do list.

Annette

• 16 years ago

I like those steps..a nice bit of charm..great improvment!

• 16 years ago

Your GS is a wonderful helper to you. Don't work too hard out in this heat, and drink plenty of water. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of this path. I love it.

FlowerLady

• PRO
    16 years ago

This morning I went out while GS was running 2.5 miles and rolled the stones around and up and down.

I like this better; needs a front end loader scoop of dirt after a bit of repositioning.

• 16 years ago

Those ARE some fine rocks. You and GS have done a great job. I love seeing your progress. Caroline

• 16 years ago

shame on you! a good scoop of dirt and that's a plantin bed!
    Nice painted glider up there by the hydrandea, DGS will have to cut another path and haul more rocks. lol
    Couldn't resist posting, I've been lurking on this forum
    Annie

• 16 years ago

Nell, at first I thougt you were making a walking path up to the top...but no? Just doing some landscaping for that natural look you are so good at? Either way it looks really nice. Hope you're spoiling that GS with your good cooking! He's earned it.

MeMo

• 16 years ago

Nell,

When I first saw your picture it definitely reminded me of a secret garden, a place to relax and get away from it all. It's very cozy!

I have a thing for natural materials and those rocks look perfect for that area. It looks wonderful.

Marilyn

• PRO
    16 years ago

Y'all are always so supportive with your comments and I appreciate. Nice to see you, Annie. You should comment more often.

Memo, I'm trying to make steps (stepping stones? path for the nimble? anyway, a short cut) up to the top and will remove an azalea and possibly a hydrangea and maybe a couple of dogwood limbs to open the path into the upper garden. The long way around has a gentler slope and smooth walking.

Now that the GS has gone home, progress is much slower. There's backfill to bring in once I stop rearranging stones and standing and staring, and start leveling them. I'm thinking to remove the big one at bottom right that could be hollowed a little more for a bird bath. I have this need to have an uneven number of stones. Five steps, two supporting cast.

Nell

• 16 years ago

Ahhh...Constructive staring Nell, that's the term I use. I finding I'm doing an awful lot of that lately LOL. Your rearrangement of the rock really looks great. I like that big stone right where it is, kind of balances out the flow.

Annette

Sponsored