Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Bon Jour Rose Lovers! (very photo heavy)

Hi All! I was recently in Paris and thought of many of you throughout the week. Cameron, thank you for all your tips in advance!

The roses were just spectacular. Here is a sample of what we saw. Please pardon the overcast skies and slightly dark pictures. We only had one day of sun, but it didn't matter! It was all so beautiful.

I had no idea "The Thinker" would be surrounded by such beauty!

A couple other pictures from the Musee Rodin. The rose borders were really spectacular and I was surprised how they had all different varieties and colors mixed in together.

We happened upon a beautiful garden along the Seine in the Bastille. There were all kinds of city gardens throughout Paris. They were tended so nicely.

Also along that same walk.

And one last one from that garden.

The Promenade Plantee is a 3 mile walk that is elevated about 4 stories from the street. It used to be a railway viaduct and now is a beautiful garden walk.

At the end of the Promenade was this playground. OK, seriously, roses on the fencing and inside the playground? I was amazed!

Rose garden on a houseboat!

Roses at the Paris Botanial Garden

I was surprised that there weren't more roses at Monet's garden. Here is a beautiful standard that was just coming into bloom.

For all you iris lovers here are a couple more pictures from Monet's garden. There must have been hundreds (if not thousands) of iris blooming when we were there.

Ever wonder how they plant those perfect rows of annuals in public gardens. These photos show the gardeners working on a huge garden bed. It was so interesting to watch them. The two guys on the ladder would plant a row (plants were already laid out for them) and then they would wheel the ladder back to do the next row. Quite ingenious.

Wouldn't you love to get your hands on all that plant material?!!?!

Finished product

We didn't go to Paris just for the gardens but it sure was a nice part of our trip. Hope you enjoyed the pictures!!

Susan

Comments (16)

• 13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A woman after my own heart,i'd want to see the gardens first,then if i had time left,i'd check out other sites.LOL,LOL
    TFS
    Kathi

• 13 years ago

Wow! Fabulous roses. You did a great job on the pictures; in fact, the overcast sky was an advantage. Much better than the heavy contrast that comes with bright sun.

• 13 years ago

What a great tour, wish I could have been there too, now if my roses would look that good TFS

Bear

• 13 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting them.

• 13 years ago

Oooh la la!

• 13 years ago

What a sweet treat to go with my coffee this morning. It must have smelled just wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Carrie

• 13 years ago

It's also on my list of things to do one day - see the gardens of France, especially Giverny.

I loved the photos that showed the scaffold across the gardens so the workers wouldn't be trodding on the soil as they planted. How ingenious!

• 13 years ago

Just lovely! I adore Paris. Isn't in an amazingly beautiful city? Thank you for sharing the pictures. I'm glad you had a nice trip, too!

• 13 years ago

Well you know I'M in heaven! This is wonderful - Paris AND Monet's gardens. All great photos, thanks for sharing I'll be back to this post often.

• 13 years ago

Fabulous pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them, I doubt I'll ever get to Paris.

MeMo

• 13 years ago

Thank you for sharing these photos. In the rose garden, I'm very intrique by the topiaries. Do you know if those are yews or something else?

The iris walk is very pretty. Are those campanulas edging the walkway?

Also - thanks for the shots on the process. Often it's the process I'm interested in.

• 13 years ago

Oh, good LORD! I think I'm moving, lol. I LOVE love love those photos. Thanks for posting them!

• 13 years ago

Amazing gardens. You are great for posting these pictures so we all can enjoy them. I loved the roses and iris especially.

• 13 years ago

Thank you for sharing these Susan! It is so amazing how there are gardens all over the place. And they don't use the typical landscape plants that we do over here but intersting plants! Particularly like that picture of the roses on the houseboat. How cool is that!?
    CMK

• 13 years ago

Thank you so much for posting all of the beautiful flower pictures. The roses are amazing, aren't they?
    kay

• 13 years ago

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the photos. We had such a great time. I just loved Paris and I found the Pariseans to be quite nice and helpful. We even had a driver on the metro hold the train for us!

Ianna, I'm not sure if they were yews. You weren't allowed down a lot of the walkways at Monet's garden so I sucked in the iris photos. I'm not sure if it was campanula, but it would be a good guess.

OK, now that I've whet your appetites...here's more!!

This was the garden behind the Musee Rodin

And now more from Monet's garden.

Field trip anyone? The kids were so cute. There were many school classes and the kids all had booklets of all the plants currently in bloom. Their task was to explore the gardens and find each of the blooms.

The famous bridge. Most of the wisteria was going out of bloom but it was still beautiful. I can't believe I scored a picture with no one on the bridge!

Back in Paris.....
    How would you like to have this rooftop garden?

And how about this greenhouse? (Paris Botanical Garden)

And you can't go to Paris without a visit to the Eiffel Tower.