Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Openings for Willow Dean, Jay and English Lavender

11 years ago

The were more ffo's than I expected in the soggy gardens today. I had to change clothes twice because I got so wet taking pictures.

ENGLISH LAVENDER duo - I've no clue why one bloom is so much darker than the other.

ENGLISH LAVENDER up close - I had no idea there would be teeth and tendrils on the edge!

JAY FARQUHAR had his ffo today.

WILLOW DEAN SMITH had a double ffo - I was surprised the edge looked more lavender than pink. Must be the weather. I've lusted after Rita's WDS for years. It's so wonderful to see it in person - just love it!

Here she is from another angle. Excuse the weeds that have grown up fast after a couple of showers.

WORTHY CREATION with balloon flowers

RASPBERRY WINTER - I thought I had lost this one since I hadn't seen in bloom in a couple of year. I guess it got mowed down in the past.

RED SLIPPERS is such a cheerful red!

SHAMROCK SPRING had its ffo today, too.

SMOOTH JAZZ - I have GOT to get this one in the ground. Five years in a pot is just too long!

{{gwi:802816}}

MISTY TWISTY

VISIONARY - This is the first bloom that's opened well. The others haven't cared for cool nights at all.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN - Boy has this one improved a lot in just a few short days.

I bet you can tell I LOVE lavenders!

Debra

Comments (22)

• 11 years ago

Debra, they are all beautiful and well worth the effort of taking pictures. I really like RED SLIPPERS and it is my favorite today. But your WILLOW DEAM SMITH looks lovely. Must mean your daylilies are going towards the late bloomers as I know it is past a midseason bloomer in my yard. I often get really lovely sprays of multiple blooms on mine. I am sure you will really love yours.

• 11 years ago

They are lovely indeed. I like Willow Dean smith, Red Slippers, Jay Farquhar, smooth Jazz and Visionary, but the tendrils seal the deal, so English Lavender wins my vote for lovliest today.
    kay

• 11 years ago

wow, I just love that WILLOW DEAN SMITH . its gorgeous, but most of them are.SMOOTH JAZZ is goregous, too. and RED SLIPPERS is a beauty..WILLOW DEAN SMITH Is my favorite today of these.

Jean

• 11 years ago

Debra: What a coincidence that you posted RASPBERRY WINTER as I sent an email to Trimmers today asking if they will be selling this dl again. I noticed no price on their site so figured to ask. No response yet. So, tell me how it performs for you. I know it was MIA for awhile but overall, your thoughts?

Of course all the pics are wonderful. How could they not be.;-) I have to go and look up Visionary. I think it would pair nicely with Winter Treasure here. Just concerned with the ruffled edge opening on cooler mornings.

Julia

• 11 years ago

Julia - I haven't had very good luck with Raspberry Winter. It performed very well and rebloomed the first season I had it. Then it died that winter in a pot. I liked the bloom so well I subsequently replaced it, planted it and it had mediocre performance. I obviously forgot about it, and mowed it down the past two years. This year it has about 10 buds per scape.

I dont' think Visionary would look good with Winter Treasure because it has beige looking petals. Also, I don't think it would fare well in the North. It seemed a bit tender, even here. Plus, it won't open at all after cool nights. I see it mainly as a hybridizing plant.

Debra

• 11 years ago

Think my favorites today are Smooth Jazz and Carolina Cool Down.
    I have been growing English Lavender as a club plant since its first year. I think it's gorgeous, but seems borderline hardy here. It's only increased to 5 fans. The color here seems to have more blue in it and the knobs and hooks were mentioned in the description, but I think it's too cool here so I haven't seen them.
    Val

• 11 years ago

Marietta Gardens has Raspberry winter for $12.

kay

• 11 years ago

Val - When I read your post, I was puzzled. English Lavender looks very blue lavender on the my Dell laptop monitor. So I called up this thread on my Ipad, where it looks very pink lavender. And Smooth Jazz is NOT that red. Just wondering - what kind of computer are you using?

Debra

• 11 years ago

Willow Dean Smith is beautiful and I love the color combination of Worthy Creation with the balloon flowers.
    Christine

• 11 years ago

Debra, I was using my iPad. It was definitely making the pictures more red. After I read your post I got out the laptop. I think maybe my camera made my pictures a little more blue too. I know I can't get an accurate picture of a purple siberian iris. They always looks blue. Here's a picture from last summer.

{{gwi:802821}}

What kind of increase are you getting? I'm thinking I'm at the nortern edge of its hardiness zone.
    Val

• 11 years ago

Val - The color in your photo looks about right. I think EL increases slowly. I started out with a double fan last year and only have three fans now. But the bloom is so nice - and late - that I will forgive the slow increase.

Debra

• 11 years ago

Debra: Thanks for the feedback. It is registered as a dormant but looking at the site Kay mentioned (THANKS KAY) - Marietta -and the Trimmers own site, it says semi-evergreen. I'm wondering if colder areas see it die back? I'll post on the Robin and see what responses I get.

Thanks for letting me know about VISIONARY being more beige.

Julia

• 11 years ago

I'm with you lavenders and blue are my favorites to. I really like English Lavender and Willow Dean Smith.
    Linda

• 11 years ago

It is always nice to see Willow Dean Smith. It has been on my wish list for a while. I would love to hybridize with it.

Edward

• 11 years ago

English Lavender is very pretty and it's nice to know that about Raspberry Winter. It's one I have debated buying for awhile. I have a lot of trouble getting purples to photograph right too. The color is almost always off.

• 11 years ago

Rita - I have a mishmash of blooms opening. Shamrock Spring just had its ffo, and it's registered as an early . I've had some lates blooming for 5-6 days, but many of my midseason bloomer have not started yet. Some are blooming 2-3 weeks early, and some are on the regular schedule. It's very strange.

Christine - I love that color combo of Worthy Creation and the balloon flowers too! The blue balloon flowers work well with a lot of colors, especially coral pinks, peaches and yellows.

Edward - I've already started hybridizing with Willow Dean. Great minds think alike.

Debra

• 11 years ago

I am trying to catch up on the last 2 day's posts so I will comment on both your posts. From the other one, I think that 1st seedling is exceptionally beautiful and I love big blooms. The gypsy cats are precious and I want to hug them all (even though some of them wouldn't like that...LOL). Of these, what's not to love? They are all wonderful. I am glad to see a picture of Jay Farquhar because mine has scapes but no blooms just yet. I got it last fall from Maryotts so this will be it's first season.
    Your photo is gorgeous. English Lavender and Willow Dean Smith are to die for!! What beauties they are. I also really love Red Slippers. I think that one is amazing. I just love it.

Celeste

• 11 years ago

Sounds like my English Lavender is increasing at about the same rate--adding 1 fan a year. I do think it's gorgeous and have been happy with the bud count although it's nothing like what was listed, but I didn't expect that. I did pick it because it was late too. Doesn't look like it will be this year, but so many are off schedule this yer.
    Val

• 11 years ago

Great pictures and beautiful flowers today!
    Willow Dean Smith is so very pretty with perfect first flowers! Love Smooth Jazz and English Lavender. And I too find the combination of Worthy Creation with blue balloon flowers very appealing. Jay Farquhar is very pretty and it's a beautiful photo!
    Interesting about colors on diff. monitors. On my old desktop Smooth Jazz is red and English Lavender is not blue lavender.

• 11 years ago

I've got to quit looking at these posts Debra. Love English Lavender. Absolutely Love it.......Maryl

• 11 years ago

Golly, it's really hard to pick one out of that bunch of beauties. I am really taken with Willow Dean Smith though. She's lovely...Ellie

• 11 years ago

My faves are Willow Dean Smith and Smooth Jazz.

Just lovely!

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals