Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

The seeds have arrived!

16 years ago

Thank you Tracy!! It's like Christmas a bit early. Thanks to everyone who sent seeds!

Comments (49)

• 16 years ago

Oh my gosh! All this time I've been waiting for the "class photo" of all the envelopes sitting on the sofa, and today I got my seeds! Thank you, Tracy! They are just wonderful and I've received so many I didn't have and have never grown before! I am so happy! Thank you, thank you!

Thanks, too, to all the participants!
    I received one huge lot of seeds in a coffee filter with no name. The seeds look so familiar, but I cannot place them. All that is marked on the coffee filter is "Soak Overnight for spring planting; start indoors or wintersow." What are they?

Thanks agian,

Lime

• 16 years ago

I read this, put the laptop down and ran out to the front porch and there they were! the envelope had been cut open and rubberbanded but there are a whole bunch in there! woo hoo.Mine all mine. Thanks Tracy et al. Sue

• 16 years ago

Whoops Lime, thats me, sorry, those are lupins, Martha

• 16 years ago

And mine came this morning - what a blast to look through them all. Woo hoo! Thank you very very much, Tracy, and everyone who contributed as well! I'll be pulling them all out and looking at them from time to time through the winter to help get me through.

ThinMan

• 16 years ago

I am getting excited reading about some of you getting your seeds already. Of course, most of you live closer to Tracy. I look forward to recieving my pkt too and then to start planting, as this is our time to get out and garden.

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

Oh, what fun!!! Thank you all, what a great mix of seeds. Thank you so much Tracy for a great seed swap.
    Karen

• 16 years ago

Woohoo! I'm sitting in a pile of seeds. First the fun of sorting through them and then the fun of finding pictures of them online. Thank you everyone!

Watchemgrow-Thank you for the beautiful seed packet. Either you or one of your daughter's spent a lot of time making my butterfly so pretty. I'm sure my tiger swallowtails will love sipping their nectar.

Signing off to do some research,
    Squirrel girl

• 16 years ago

I received my envelope today, and all I can say is, WOW! This is my 3rd year participating and it keeps getting better and better.

Thanks to all who participated and a special thank you to Tracy for all the work you did in organizing and putting this incredible swap together!

I am so thrilled with the selection I received. Thanks, again, Tracy.

Marilyn ( who is also getting ready to do some internet seed research)

• 16 years ago

I also received mine today. Thanks Tracy for hosting this swap. Thanks to everyone for sharing their seeds with each other. I already set some aside to winter sow.

dem_pa

• 16 years ago

Yipppie!!! Mine came on Fri. So excited here. My DH even had a ball looking through them all. What a fantastic job you did Tracy...and thankyou to all the wonderful gardeners that sent seeds from all over the world. You all have a special place in my heart. It's kinda like getting "the gift of life" if you think about it. I feel absolutely blessed to be included in this trade. Bless you all.

Carol

• 16 years ago

Yay! I'm so happy they are arriving safely.

I wanted our foreign friends to know that I have not mailed your packages yet. Nor yours, Rainey. I apologize. I mailed the others Tuesday and have not had a chance to get back to the post office to mail the last batch. I hope you four don't mind waiting a few extra days.

And get this- I completely forgot to take the seeds-packaged-up-waiting-to-get-mailed photo!!! So the only photo I have is the one I posted on the conversation side. Duh!!

I have received a few emails of people who are disappointed in the swap this year. All I can do is apologize. I do my best, and this year it was quite overwhelming for me. There were roughly FIFTY participants, and as you can imagine there are quite a few seeds to sort through to try and grant your wishes.

Everyone had chimed in on a thread in the conversation side regarding sending a special surprise envelope to a gardening friend on the forum who is going through a rough time. And from what I recall, everyone agreed to give up some of their own seeds to go into that envelope. So as a result, some of you may not be receiving as many packets as you sent in. I am sorry if that was not clear for those participating.

Also, with the large number of participants, it was quite a bit harder for me to grant your wishes. About half of the participants did not send in typed lists nor self-addressed stamped envelopes, which left quite a bit of extra work for me. I had to count all of your seeds up, write down what you sent in, etc. As a result, there were some packages that never got tallied simply because I did not have the time to do that extra work. So I apologize to those who are not getting anything on their wish list.

I tried my best, and that's all I can say. I hope most of you are pleased with the seeds.

Tracy

• 16 years ago

Thanks Tracy, I got mine today too! I can not wait for next year and the NEW gardens at the OLD house!!!! I'm tickled to have seeds from so many cottage friends. I think I owe a set of nora barlow to Alison dawiff, they are sitting on my table--please send me a note via GW and I will send them off to you!

Leasa

• 16 years ago

Tracy,I got my seeds today.Thank You for the note you sent about my husband passing.I intend now to plant every seed I received in his garden..lol But he was color blind.I am still doing the red memorial since red was a color he could see and favored.I have no complaints at all and am very pleased with the seeds I received.Thank You for hosting,and thank you everyone for some great seeds.
    moonphase

• 16 years ago

(((Dear Tracy))) ~ Waiting makes getting them even more exciting, as the anticipation grows. I am sorry to hear that you've had complaints from some recipients. Sheesh. Even though I didn't read about the surprise pkg of seeds, I think that was a sweet thing to do. We are sharing from our gardens, big or small, and what we receive back is a treat!

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

BOOOOO HISSSS to the complainers!

• 16 years ago

Tracy,
    Thanks ahead of time for all the time you've spent in the swap (I haven't gotten my package yet but I'm sure I'll be delighted). I can't imagine complaining in a situation like this. My fun in the swap is the sharing, and getting seeds from folks I've met on the web is just the gravy.

Pam

• 16 years ago

No sign of mine here yet, I hope I did everything right, this is my first time participating in this swap. I did send a self-addressed stamped bubble envelope inside the envelope I sent, I hope I put enough postage on it. I am pretty easy to please, so I'm sure I'll be happy with what I get.

Alison

• 16 years ago

Tracy,no problem and I promise I'll love my "beads" because this has been so much fun for me. Its hard to believe people would complain, I suspect they aren't our regulars (maybe implants from seed companies trying to spoil a good thing)!
    That you have been made to feel you owe anyone an apology brings tears to my eyes, you are our much loved Queen of the Seeds(LOL in L'burg its Queen of the Sea) and nobody better mess with our Queen, Martha

• 16 years ago

Martha ~ I agree with you about suspecting the complainers aren't our regulars here in CG. Bless our Queen's heart. She worked hard on handling this again yet another year. I wouldn't blame her one bit if she didn't do it next year.

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

I echo Pattioh, BOOOO HISSS to the complainers! Shame on you! Don't you worry Tracy, it seems there's always someone who will be discontent. I think you do a wonderful job and I'm thankful you take the time to do such a sweet thing for everyone.

Squirrel girl - Your welcome...glad you liked it! I actually did them myself. My daughter (she's 16) rolled her eyes and laughed at them! LOL! She thinks her mama is corny. Enjoy!

Shawna----who's camped out at the mail box :o)

• 16 years ago

Dear Moonphase ~ I am so sorry to hear about your losing your DH. My heart goes out to you. How wonderful to plant all the seeds you've received in this swap in his garden.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

Tracy, Hello. My seeds arrived safely and I am thrilled!!! I do appreciate all the work and effort that you put into one of these swaps. I will look forward to your next swap. Thanks again, jenny.

• 16 years ago

Tracy,
    You did a WONDERFUL job and I thank you sooooo much! I am thrilled with everything!
    Smiles,
    Sooz

• 16 years ago

To the people who have complained, I can only say "get a life"!

Tracy, you are an organizing whizz, a sweet girl and you went through a lot of trouble *for complete strangers and not earning a dime* in a world where everything has a price tag on it. I for one appreciate immensely your patience and availability and, like others, suspect the complainers are not *regulars* here. You don't own anyone an apology, we all won you a big thank for your effort.

I haven't received my envelope yet, being one of the foreigners in the bunch, but I know when I do I will treasure each and every one of the seeds, even if none of them is part of my wish list. I also would like to thank all the American cottagers who sent in extra postage stamps so that I could participate in the swap, since I have no way to obtain American stamps here. To each and everyone of you a big thank you. And to Tracy the Queen of Seeds a special hug.

Eduarda

• 16 years ago

Good morning Eduarda ~ This is my first year participating in this swap and I have seen Tracy's efforts via pictures for the others. She does an outstanding job every year. It would be very daunting for me. I am thankful she has taken on this job and she is most definitely our 'Queen of Seeds'. I'm not one of the foreigners but I'm in your mailing, and I am looking forward to receiving my seeds too and will treasure them all also. It is wonderful to have a bit of others gardens tucked into our own. I miss seeing you here Lady, it's always a treasure to see one of your posts.

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

yay! Mine are here too! So exciting.Tracy, thanks so much for your hard work.
    I got two HUGE white packets of seeds with no marking on them. One looks like aster maybe? One looks like digitalis?
    Does that ring any bells? If not, I love surprises, so I'll just plant them and see what they are in the spring!
    Thanks again, everyone.

• 16 years ago

Got my seeds !! Tracy, you're the best for doing all the work for this, and the rest of us get the happy surprise.
    I opened the package on the kitchen table and what a huge pile of seed packs ! Such a nice variety, lots of seeds that are new to me. I've already sorted them in the order that I'll start sewing them. Can't wait to have some of y'all's plants growing in my garden here in Texas.

Carol

• 16 years ago

Oh thank you all for your sweet sweet words. I wish I could give each and every one of you a big hug.

I didn't want to single anyone out, I just really wanted to explain the process and let everyone know why some may receive fewer packets than they sent in.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely heartbroken and disappointed at the emails I received from the few people complaining. But I guess it's impossible to please everyone.

I'm just glad those envelopes are in the mail, though! Eduarda, Martha, Rainey, & Cathy, yours will be mailed tomorrow. Thanks for being so patient!!

Hugs to all,
    Tracy

• 16 years ago

I also got mine Tracy, they may of been here late last week but we were out of town for the holiday and I just got them last night when I got home. I was sooooo tickled when I opened them. I am thrilled beyond thrilled. I have many varieties or colors of things I have not had before. New stuff is always fun, and some are things I prolly would not of even tried if not for this way. I along with the others think your the garden queen for doing this for us, especially on top of the work , it being holiday time. It is a huge amount of work for anyone, let alone at a time of the year when most of us can never find enough time to do everyday things along with the holiday rush. I am extremely grateful!!!!!! YOUR the cottage seed queen in my book, please don't let this daunt you, I am begging you already to please consider this again next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• 16 years ago

Tracy ~ I will be watching for mine then the end of this week. That gives me more time to work in my potting area. So glad you are not discouraged so much that you never want to do this again. Bless your heart. Now you can relax and enjoy the holidays.

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

Tracy,

You consistently go above and beyond the call of duty by volunteering to organize this seed swap, and I am absolutely floored that some people have found it necessary to send critical emails to you!

For those of you that are new to the cottage forum, last year Tracy hosted the swap AND planned her wedding at the same time.

This year, in addition to the swap, she has been organizing the new house that she and her dh recently bought.

You have put yourself out there for us. You do not owe anyone an apology.

It's because of you, and your efforts, that my garden will be a colorful mix of beautiful flowers and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Marilyn

• 16 years ago

They're heeeerrrrre! Wow and thanks!! I walked in from work and immediately started entering the seed into my seed list - what fun! Then my hubby actually wanted some dinner (who can eat when there's seed to play with??) I managed to drool over about half before feeding him, so I'll have still more fun later this evening!

• 16 years ago

Wow! My envelope arrived today, and it was just chock full of good stuff! Thanks so much, Tracy, I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this. Please let me know if I owe you any extra for postage, cause I actually got back way more seeds than I sent. It was a real cornucopia!

What a bummer that people complained. Absolutely no complaints here!

Alison

• 16 years ago

Woohoo! My seeds arrived today! Thanks so much for all your hard work Tracy, I'm off to investigate my loot.

This is my first year & I'm so excited to learn more about all the seeds I received. Thanks to everyone who participated!

• 16 years ago

Mine arrived today chocked full of wonderful seeds. Thanks so much for doing this Tracy. You went to a lot of work to pull this all together and it is greatly appreciated.

• 16 years ago

OH HAPPY DAY! I got em and this is more fun than eating chocolate!

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful seeds and another big thanks to Tracy for putting it all together for us.

Shawna

• 16 years ago

Wow Tracy! You are so awesome! Thank you very much for all the effort and time that you've put into this swap. I received my over-stuffed package today and it really is a wonderful Christmas gift. It saddens me to hear that there are a few that are so insensitive to your hard work...just ignore them, don't let them bring you down! I hope to be able to participate more in this forum...it will be nice to have a little of everyone's garden blooming in mine. Thanks to all for sharing so generously! Happy Holidays!

Mary

• 16 years ago

Mine came yesterday. Much more of a variety than I expected. Thank you so much for the time and the effort. I'm still having a blast just sorting and seeing what I have.
    Debby

• 16 years ago

My seeds came today! Wow there are so many great seeds. Thanks so much Tracy for all your hard work and thanks to everyone who sent in such neat seeds! I can't wait to get started sowing!
    Joann

• 16 years ago

Seeds came yesterday! Thank you Tracy for doing this seed swap. My first swap and I am so pleased with everything I have received. Thanks everyone, Carol

• 16 years ago

I was among the first to receive my seeds and I am surprised and so sorry that someone complained.I thought it was very well organized and run. Tracy was very gracious to organize and do all of the work. I hope I was not the only one to enclose a little "hostess" gift for her. I have no idea if I got what I asked for- it doesn't matter- I received so so many wonderful seeds from all of you. I hope you liked mine too!

My envelope had a mishap at the post office (slashed open and rubberbanded back together)But it was still chock full of seeds! It is my first time swapping, and I look forward to next year.
    One of the dogs ate a packet I dropped on floor and didn't notice- what was left was an end of a white env. with a black cupid ? on it. Probably the seeds I wanted the most!! LOL I look forward to playing with my seeds and oh yeah planting them. Sue

• 16 years ago

Yahoo! The seeds came in yesterday! It was like an adult trick or treat night,such a wonderful variety. Thank you so much Tracy for going to all that work for us. Try not to take the negative comments personally, you did a great job. Thanks!

• 16 years ago

Hey guys!
    Who sent in the big white packets of seeds with no label? What are they? I'd love to know! :)

• 16 years ago

Tracy, thank you for including me in the seed swap. My DH and I were pleasantly surprised at all the packets of seeds we received and we can't wait to plant them!

Thank you to everyone else who participated also!

MaryNJ

• 16 years ago

Greenpurplegirl sent me a big packet of seeds in a white envelope but they are labeled. Could the mystery white packet be from her? I got several packets from her. Two are full of poppy seeds, one has Hollyhocks and one is a sunflower.
    Joann

• 16 years ago

I am away from home and away from internet access, but I am told I have a package at home that sounds like my seed envelope. I have no doubt I will be delighted with whatever it contains.
    Thanks so much to everyone who participated! Sharing is fun!
    Alana

• 16 years ago

I just got my seeds in the mail today. Thank you Tracy for putting this whole thing together. I was really looking forward to this swap this year, having participated last year for the first time. The variety of seeds is astounding, and I get a chance to try flowers that i've never considered growing, and some that I'd never even heard of before. So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who sent in seeds, and a big thank you to Tracy (i hope you see this at the end of this long thread) for taking the trouble to hostess this swap every year. I know that being in Canada, my return package is more trouble than most, so thank you very much!

• 16 years ago

I got my seeds a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to everyone (including Tracy for organizing this great swap). I can't wait to plant them! I got a packet too that isn't labeled... can't wait to plant the mystery seeds! I also got some strawberry digitalis and I'm so excited about that! I got so many great flowers to plant - that's what I'm going to do today - is start wintersowing some in pots! Yippee!

Estelle

• 16 years ago

LOL! Greenpurplegirl, that's exactly what it's like -- Trick or Treat for adults! (gardeners) LOL!

So many of the seeds I got last year, and this year too, were of things that I thought, 'Yuck!', or 'What's that?'. I must say that my very favorite, VERY favorite things this year were things I couldn't imagine ever growing from seed: Dahlias, Lantanas and Snapdragons. Why would you bother when you can get them from the garden center? And how many years would it take to get them from seed to flower, anyway?

Wellll, I must say that those bloomed the same year, and were the most fan-tab-u-lous flowers in my garden and the reason you grow them instead of buy them (besides cost) is because they really aren't the same as you get from the garden center...not at all. You can buy that short squatty Red Salvia, and it's ok. You can get 'Lady in Red' or 'Yvonne's Salvia' from the CG swap, and all of a sudden, Salvia is a whole other plant! It just seemed to me that EVERYTHING I sowed and grew on was a whole other plant that what I could ever buy, and ever afford, in the quantity I wanted and could sow from a pack of seeds. (I did see Lady in Red Sallvia at the store, but it's always the $4.99 plants in the 4" pots. )

Thanks you again, Tracy,

Lime

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting