Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyful_garden

UGH-My horribly neglected garden....

15 years ago

I went outside to just look at it. I started to try and pull some weeds but in my absence the ants have taken over. I have this big boot and I walk like Herman Munster but I thought I could do some. Then the thought of the ants getting inside the boot stopped me in my tracks. LOL. My marigolds are beautiful but you can hardly tell because of the weeds. My coleus is holding it's own. All of my veggies were choked out by weeds. I did see the prettiest spiders with their webs in my marigolds and a moth flitting from flower to flower. I pulled some of the dead flowers and just broke the seed heads open and dropped them to the ground. I wanted to water but DH moved the hose somewhere and I can't walk around that much. I have a very invasive weed with thorns beginning to pop up throughout my garden. The mother plant is about 6-10 feet away and the root structure is amazing. It spreads underground and these small pup weeds are attached to the mother plant. It's terrible. I would love to start some fruit trees somewhere but I'm a seed person, I rarely ever buy plants because of the financial aspect of it. Does anyone know where to buy just fruit tree seeds? Maybe I'll take some before and after pics of my sorry garden so I can feel good about it when I get it done.

Hugs!

Joy

Comments (15)

• 15 years ago

that weed could be Tropical soda apple,better get a handle now or you will be in trouble. It fights back!
    My ruellia got outta hand and started to take over. I cut it down and covered it with wet papers and dry bahai grass for mulch. Little bit by little bit Im regaining my garden. Do you have a torch? They are good also for big areas.

• 15 years ago

goldenpond-I googled that one. I have yet to see any fruit on this thing and it has been off in the brush for some time now. I live on a corner lot and it is pie shaped with the wide end at the road. My back lot has about 30 ft. of brush-scrub oaks, tons of pines and lots of palmettos. This weed started out on one side of a palmetto that borders my garden. I started pulling the little sprouts out when I started my garden in March and that is when I realized the roots actually trail off underneath the palmetto to the mother plant. My DH pulled out a lot of the mother plant but not sure if he went far enough to the roots then or not. I was still having to be in bed when he did that. I will get a pic of it when I can and I will post it on here if I can figure out how to put a pic in here. LOL.

• 15 years ago

Joyful, I feel for your situation. I have weeds that have taken over a good portion of my garden too when I couldn't get out. But then I look around at what is pretty and kind of forget about the ugliness - for awhile anyway. Hope you are as good as new when that cast comes off.

I have ordered from Tradewinds. They are very reasonable. The only fruit I ordered though was a papaya and the seeds sprouted right away, but I didn't keep the plants. They have alot of different varieties.

Ginny

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit and Plant seeds

• 15 years ago

Recently Solstice sent me a link on how to post pictures from Photbucket to Garden Web. She also said that she saved the photos in Photobucket at 780 x 640 or larger. hope this can help you too.

Becarefull of those ants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture posting to GW

• 15 years ago

Those pictures would be saved at 640 x 480.

• 15 years ago

OK, we'll see if this works. The first pic is of this weed that has thorns and is spreading everywhere. The second one is of my Marigolds among the weeds. Then also is my coleus that my mom gave me cuttings right before I had surgery and all I had time to do was stick them in the ground and have done nothing since. You see how bad my weeds are but this is just one little section of my yard. It's the only place DH lets me do whatever I want with. Oh I am so embarrassed to even post this but oh well, here it is.

• 15 years ago

Native raspberry.

That coleus is fab! Esp against that purple.

• 15 years ago

joyful:
    You're weed with thorns is a wild blackberry; very wicked. I have to use leather gloves to pull it up whenever it rears its ugly head. Good luck.
    SJ

• 15 years ago

I think everyone posted photos of parts of their garden which needs help so don't feel bad. At least whenever you get around to the weeds you'll have some pretty plants there.

• 15 years ago

SJ-Wow! Wild blackberry huh? I've never seen it fruit. Is that common for it not to fruit? Crazy stuff that is. Thanks for the id. I will tackle that again when I can. I usually use a shovel to dig it out as far as I can so I can keep the roots intact to get as much as possible.

thono- THanks. I think coleus is my favorite plant ever. So many varieties and the ease of propagation makes them easy to collect.

Barb- I remember that thread. I have a couple of areas I want to work with but DH is so opposed to change. Our house that we lived in for 10 years before this one, I did it all and he loved it. He is the kind of person you can't ask, you just have to do it and let him see the end results and then he says, "Wow, what a good idea-I'm glad I thought of it!" LOL

• 15 years ago

joyful:
    Balckberries don't start blooming until they are in their 2nd year-that's probably why you haven't seen them fruit. If you're like me, they get pulled or dug out before that happens. I don't want them growing in my flower beds at all. They are just too thorny-my roses get me bad enough. LOL

• 15 years ago

Thanks! That's good to know. Yes, they do get pulled out before then. I will continue to pull them out. I don't like them at all. If I want blackberries, I will buy them and let someone else deal with the invasiveness of it. My husband pulled out the majority of the large plant but I am finding too much of it's offspring. It will be a continual battle. I have also seen them spreading into my lawn area as well.

• 15 years ago

Hi joyful.. I know what you mean. I had carved out this nice garden area myself all by hand. My DH only likes everything neat and clean blah blah blah. I on the other hand like a more natural look. After I had dug out and weeded this space where I planted all kinds of things that I loved, I had a serious medical problem. Had a TIA from it and since ( about 1 and a half years) have been told no lifting, no strain what so ever on neck ( my carotid artery dissected ). I'm only 49 and find gardening my stress relief. Needless to say my garden became so neglected .. embarrassed but I had to let that one go and have jsut planted a few thing here and there. ( drives DH crazy but..).You'll get back even if it's something smaller. I don't know there is just something about nuturing plants that is so gratifying..Hope this helped just a little.. Lorraine

• 15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your story Lorraine. I'm sorry to hear that you have had to cut back. Yes, gratifying is a good word. The one I usually use is therapeutic. It seems that gardening is one thing that I can do and succeed no matter what, that and mothering. I will keep you in my prayers if you are a religious person. I know it must be very difficult to be so limited at such a young age. You make me very thankful that mine is just temporary. Sometimes things just need to be put into perspective to make one appreciate the good things she has. Thanks for that. I hope you can still find some things that you love that you are capable of caring for. If I lived closer to you, I would certainly come help you. My mom is becoming more and more incapable of caring for her stuff. She tells me that she is losing her zest for gardening. That worries me about her. I have been getting a bunch of plants from her. Good luck with everything.
    Hugs,
    Joy

• 15 years ago

Thank Joyful my kids keep me active that and my really weird sense of humor! If something were to happen to me I'd rather be doing something I love. I have to take an Iv infusion for RA and b-12 shot's. The funny thing is That I feel so good right after I start buzzing around the house Or most likely garden LOL. DH knows it's comming and just hsakes his head. Another really special thing is DH and son built my a square foot garden so I could still do planting etc. Of coarse I filled that baby up !! And every once in a while I'll stick a new plant somewhere else!! ha ha I can't help. Lorraine