Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

Maureen-Check out your orchid cactus!!

16 years ago

Look what I found this morning. I am so excited. I cannot believe the small cuttings Maureen sent me of her orchid cactus are already sending out buds. I am sooooo stoked!!

{{gwi:955673}}

Comments (12)

• 16 years ago

Wow that's neat!

• 16 years ago

Hi
    What type of potting mix are you using?? Got a red day bloomer last year that is really struggling. Probably from all the rain. I went with an orchid bark mixture but suspect it's too free draining??? Have never had a problem with the white night bloomers no matter what I used. Thanks gary

• 16 years ago

Gary, this one is a day bloomer. I just have regular potting mix with some peat. It opened today.
    {{gwi:955674}}

• 16 years ago

Hi
    That is a beauty!! . I added a bit of boiled peat to the bark mixture.. Hope it works. Thanks gary

• 16 years ago

Boiled peat? That's a new one, Gary. How/Why do you boil it?

In the same hanging basket I have a Red/Pink one from Maureen, also. I can't wait for that beauty to bloom.

Where is Maureen, anyway. I haven't seen her in a while.

• PRO
    16 years ago

Cindee, that epiphyllum pumillum flowers are beautiful. I got cuttings from Maureen too but mine are just starting to root. I think the flowers close up by noon due to being night bloomers. I can't wait for mine to grow big and bloom. I remember seeing them in a coir basket with other epis in full sun, do you leave yours out in full sun all the time?
    Jan

• 16 years ago

Jan, mine is in full afternoon sun. The plants are just leaves that took root fast in a coir hanging basket with potting mix and pearlite mixed in. They must have great roots already to be putting out flowers. It is a shame they don't last very long. But OH the beauty when they bloom! I have Maureen's Pink and Red epiphy and rick rack cactus with it. It makes a nice hanging basket.

• 16 years ago

Maureen's here! I've been incredibly busy with company lately.

Your epi pumilum is looking good, Cindee. Here's a picture of the momma plant in all her glory a couple of nights ago. Around midnight when the flowers were fully open, the fragrance was heavenly.

• 16 years ago

Hey Maureen (((HUGS))) mine was blooming during the day? Weird. It did smell good. Boy, those beautiful flowers don't last long enough do they. The Momma plant is stunning, girl!

• 16 years ago

Cindee -

On mine, the flowers open up at night and then last well into the following day.

• 16 years ago

Hi
    I boil the peat to help reduce the tannins ,sterilize it and allow it to accept water.. In this case I was potting up some submerged aquatic plants and had it left over. if you don't boil it it floats lol
    Any body growing any of the rat tail types of the epi cactus?? The ones with the spines??. I finally got some cuttings to grow but boy are they susceptible to rot. Have been using crushed lava rock with them but still get some rot from all the rain.. They have the most fantastic flowers but not for me lol gary

• PRO
    16 years ago

Hi Gary, I have few Rat tail cactus. The trick is to bring the cactus in during rainy season, they can not take that much rain. Mine is planted in sandy mixture and I keep them on the dry side.