Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scizzo_gw

concrete area on lanai with dirt inside help

16 years ago

My new courtyard home has a section where there is irrigation for plants. This area has dirt inside and the prior owner had plastic down which was really making everything too wet.

I took the heavy plastic up, but it still puddles. Apparently the rest of the concrete patio runs into this irrigated dirt area.

I can shut off the irrigation obviously, but still think it will be too wet.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Barbara

Comments (9)

• 16 years ago

Hi Barbara:

Sorry, but I can only think of two options: 1. You can plant a bog garden or 2. Lighten the soil with a lot of sand and plant Florida natives. You might want to check to be sure the area does actually drain. Hopefully, it is away from your foundation.

This is an interesting problem and I look forward to hearing how you solve it. Good luck.

Julie in WPB

• 16 years ago

Cut off the irrigation and plant succulents, cactus, aloe, and small agaves. Fill the space with river rocks - 3 sizes - and three large boulders (one- or two-man size).

• 16 years ago

If the area gets good sun, I would add more rich soil and plant Louisiana iris garden
    Olya

• 16 years ago

What about a small waterfall and pond? Maybe some Koi and waterplants?

• 16 years ago

Or what about putting a small wall around the edge of the patio using bricks (2 bricks tall would work). This would keep the water from the patio from draining into the soil and would allow you to add sand and potting soil to the area so you could plant what you want.

• 16 years ago

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it as much a resource and inspiration as I do.

My suggestion would be to get a bit of that soil up and out, and replace w/ a 1.5 to 2 inches deep of river rock. Then I would add some water loving plants as this may be the one place in your landscape you won't feel any guilt for having'em as a lot of the water will be rain run off.

My landscape's biggest water hog is my new Black Elephant Ears, and if that spot is shady in addition to moist, it might be perfect spot for them. They're gorgeous, but in my limited experience need shade & like it moist.

Best of luck, & keep us posted,

Nat

• 16 years ago

Nat - those black Elephant Ears want full sun for best color along with the moist soil.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the heads up fawnridge. I appreciate it!

I don't know why but they literally crisped on me in full sun...every leaf looked deep fried crispy except for a small part of one by the second day, even with all the watering I was doing. I dug them out and hightailed them over to the shade where thankfully new leaves have been sprouting and opening, and it seems like they're happy, so for now I will let them continue their recouperating and then try again in a different sunny spot.

Wish me luck :), I really like the look of this plant and would love to get it established in several spots close to the sprinkler heads, a/c drain, where ever gets a little moister naturally.

• 16 years ago

Nat - They last a couple of years and then it's best to yank them out, trim them back, and replant. I've got 8 or 9 varieties of Colcasia and Alocasia in the ground. They all seem to grow best in early morning or late afternoon sun.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz