Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

New Blooms Feb./Mar.

Rather than tack on to the January thread, I thought I'd share what's blooming now in a new one.

My Chickasaw Plum burst into bloom over the past week and the bees are loving it:

Walter's Viburnum also bloomed over the past week or so

And my neglected no-name rose (Louis Phillipe?) is blooming like crazy - needs a good pruning, but I hate to cut off those flowers

Comments (26)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month

Everything looks great! I love that rose!

I have a Walter's Viburnum that I planted on the side/corner of hubby's shop/garage. There's no water spigot over there yet (its on the long project list lol) so we have to haul a 5 gal bucket over there to water. Maybe it will bloom soon.

Have you ever tried rooting your Walter's Viburnum? I'm thinking I might try and root a few cuttings from mine.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • orchidrain
    last month

Wow, what gorgeous blooms. I'll have to look up chickasaw plum.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked orchidrain
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

My WV is several years old now, taller than the roof, and survives with little to no care. There are lots of sprouts emerging from disturbed roots. I've been thinking we may wind up with a hedge.

I bought the native plum hoping for fruit, but haven't had any and it's been a few years now. There were only 2 that aborted very early. Thinking I should've bought a second one. The flowers are lovely, but brief, followed by the leaves.

last month

I just did a deep dive into Chicksaw plum last night lol. Ive been making a list of edible trees and shrubs (people and/or wildlife) that can survive 8b/9a winters. I'm planning a food forest of sorts and also trying to attract birds and wildlife to our pond area.

whgille, thats a gorgeous rose! Do you know the name? Very sunny and cheerful colors.

last month

Here's the citrus I got for my Bday. I told my family I wanted fruit trees this year, when they asked lol. These are from Backyard Citrus Nursery and Brite leaf Nursery. I am so happy with them Reasonably priced on decent sized trees and reasonable shipping!

_Nagumi Kumquat

-Glen Navel Orange

-Brown Select Satsuma

-Owari Satsuma

-Duncan Grapefruit

I just ordered a Ray Ruby Grapefruit too.

This is a Ponderosa Lemon hubby picked up at Walmart..it will have to stay potted because they are too tender for here lol.

He also got a Weeping Willow for our pond. There are already willows out there but none are weeping.

Not much blooming here except Spirit of Freedom rose starting

Sweet Almond

• whgille
    last month

Sultry, the roses that I have are drift roses, they bloom most of the year, the one in the picture is peach.

Nice citrus that you got! I planted three new varieties one mandarin, one tangelo and one orange. For now they are doing good, time will tell...

Silvia

last month

Silvia, very exciting about your new citrus! It sounds like you got some good ones.

Hey, which varieties of bell peppers or sweet grilling peppers do best for you here in FL?

I threw this question out on a different thread but I know you are the FL Veggie Gardening Queen! lol

• whgille
    last month

Thank you Sultry, you are very nice.

This season I did not grow any peppers because my garden in the back is all renewed and moved, no more grass and more raised beds and fruit trees.

The beds are using a lot of tomatoes , I am having a bumper crop and glad to share with all the friends that we know. Also growing onions and radishes after the carrot harvest.

A lot of peppers did good for me in the past some of them are the Marconi variety, Nardello,Big Daddy. From the bells I grew Quadrato Asti Giallo, the Chocolate varieties.

The paprika peppers, other is the Ajvarski, also like the Padron peppers kind of like the Shishito.

One season I grew a lot of peppers that somebody gifted me with the seeds,they were all foreign and did great!

Good luck with your peppers, in the summer they like a little bit of shade.

Silvia

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked whgille
  • 14tomatoes_md_7a
    last month

For roasting Ajvarski is unbeatable in flavor since it is a true Red Kapia variety. Also very prolific and great tasting fresh.

Sweet Banana peppers give 3 flushes with over 80 fruit total per plant here and set up buds for 4th flush before the cold kills them in November -- so in FL you'll get a 4th flush! Also easiest pepper to peel when roasted.

Red Lipstick are smaller but non-stop producer and best is they taste just as good green as red, fresh or roasted -- so I pick them green for a ton of production from a single plant.

For me bell peppers are low producers, so stopped growing them a long time ago -- when my wife likes to stuff peppers she uses the Ajvarski.

I know Silvia grew the Ajvarski and loved them, and if she grew the Red Lipsticks will back me up on that variety, too.

Sultry, in Baltimore you were not Baltimorian if you did not grow Fish -- amazing little somewhat-hot peppers on a compact exotic looking plant!

Fish peppers are picked at the green striped stage, never past the one pictured in the middle.

Tony

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked 14tomatoes_md_7a
  • whgille
    last month

It is good to hear from you Tony, did you moved to Florida already? And yes about the peppers, it was you who told me about the Ajvarski peppers and yes I agree about the Lipstick peppers, I grew them and they are very good.

When I was in Monticello, I bought a packet of the fish peppers, good and ornamental too.

Silvia

• four (9B near 9A)
    last month

The Clerodendrum quadriloculare of which I posted a photo in January when the flowers were buds. Progression from buds to full flowers was very gradual.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked four (9B near 9A)
    last month

Sylvia, thank you for the sweet pepper suggestions. I will try them. Another FL Gardener on you tube, also grows Marconi successfully so I will def try that one.

I have no problem with hot peppers at all or smaller sweet peppers like Aji, corbaci, or banana peppers, etc..its the larger bells and frying peppers that dont seem to give many pepers here. One exception is Chocolate Beauty Bell. That one does okay. I had Blot pepper bell last year and they made peppers but very small.

I put up several dozens pints of Cowboy Candy last year from just 2 jalapeno plants. They really do well here and start early. Ghost peppers are what my hubby likes and those do well here too. They really get going in about Aug/Sept here. He musta burned his taste buds off long ago, I dont know how he can stand to eat those really hot peppers lol! I like more of a jalapeno type of heat. I like to be able to still taste my food haha!

Tony, I will have to try the Ajvarski and Red Lipstick peppers. They sound like winners!

I have grown Fish Peppers in the past. They have a kick to them! Also very beautiful.

last month

We got one weeping willow tree planted in front of the big cypress pond. I have one more to put on the backside of that pond.

Maybe it will make a nice fort someday lol.

Also got 2 LSU Purple figs planted today. 2 more to go! They are from cuttings of the mother fig tree at my old house.

My daughter gave me 2 Dorsett Golden Apple trees so I also bought an Anna Apple to pollinate them. Not sure where they are going yet.

My doe had 2 babies the other day. A gorgeous silver doeling and cute little black n white buckling. All my girl goat babies this year, are named after roses!

This girl is named Reines des Violettes. Queen of the Violettes

As for blooming our wild Crab apple is in full bloom. It makes tiny seedy apples but the birds like them.

• whgille
    last month

Clivia in my garden

last month

Your Clivia is beautiful!

Does anyone here grow a Southern Catalpa Tree (C. bignonioides)? I am thinking of planting one. I know they are messy with their seed pods. They attract squirrels and rodents. This will be going way out by the ponds which is a 2 1/2 acre jungle surrounding the ponds anyways so I don't care about the mess lol. They apparently attract the Catalpa Sphinx Moths and are a food source for Catalpa Caterpillars which are prized by fisherman for bait. My hubby and I love to fish. The trees are also good honeybees. The back of the leaves secrete a nectar as well as pollen from flowers. They are supposed to be good for honey production.

I am actually hoping the beans will attract rats and mice out by the ponds. I have a few Barred Owls out in our woods towards the back of the property. I sometimes hear them by the ponds (which is on one side of our property) at night too. I can hear them much better from that area. Its near the garden. At our last house, we had a huge population of barred owls. They sat in oak trees right near the house at night making their silly calls. Often they called in the late afternoons as well..like every day. I don't hear them as often here but I know there are a few around. I'm hoping the mice will attract more owls.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    last month

Love those little goats photos!

• four (9B near 9A)
    last month

>" Owls out in our woods.... I sometimes hear them.... hoping the mice will attract" ___ A fellow from somewhere in this area catches many of the non-native brown anole, wanting to reduce the heavy invasive pressure on the native green. He told me that he feeds the non-natives to the owls, and that the owls come for them in response to his owl calls. (Practice you call. However, I imagine that fish might flee from your spot if you were to call while fishing.)

last month

Thank you carol :)

Four, interesting about the owl calls. I've heard that it can attract them during mating season. Also read that calling or playing recorded owl calls might prevent owls from coming due to the fact they dont want to enter another owls territory so Whooo knows haha!

This reminds me of when one the kids was little and I was telling him that Barred Owls say...Whooo Whooo Who Cooks for You! So then the next time he was outside and heard them, he started yelling at the top of his lungs, in reply, " My mommy cooks for me. My daddy cooks for me, my grandma cooks for me, my grandpa cooks for me.😂

Then, of course, the owl would do their call again and Again, he would yell out who all cooks for him and finally he asked me.."Is that owl deaf or something? He keeps asking me the same thing!" 🤣

• dirtygardener
    last month

My loquat that I planted from seed 6 years ago finally bloomed and has fruit, but not enough that I'll ever get any, because one little squirrel lays in wait until they are just right and eats them all. Oh well, one day it will be big enough to give fruit to both of us.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked dirtygardener
  • four (9B near 9A)
    last month

Chaya. This week some flower buds opened.

I am trying to figure out Houzz's assignment of display size allocated to photos in comments section of threads. Notice differences as you scroll this Comments section (not thread origination part where it seems that photos always are displayed larger).

I do not know what it is exactly that provokes Houzz' diminution of combined photos. Through more experimentation I find that it is necessary to upload each part as separate photo.

• whgille
    last month

Four, I don't know the answer, I posted from my phone.

last month

I also post from my phone. Often, I have to resize my photos- as in crop them, otherwise they will take forever to upload on Houzz. I sometimes have better luck posting a comment then going back to edit, then add my photos. Sometimes it wont load several photos at once . My internet is spotty here though. We are very rural here. Our county got numerous million dollar grants to improve the internet out here last year. Nothing has hapened with that as far as I can tell lol. When I lived outside of Jax, we had great internet but Houzz was still slow sometimes at uploading photos.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last month

Flowers of Aristolochia trilobata Pipevine. Photos taken today March 24.

• four (9B near 9A)
    last month
    last modified: 26 days ago

Hamelia patens

Virginia Pepperweed

Clover

March 31 Verbena bonariensis. The silly thing grew to 4' height then decided that it wanted to qualify by the thread deadline date.

• four (9B near 9A)
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Mango. Because no flowers until recently, I thought that this year again, third in succession, none would come.