Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Four new hostas....looking for opinions and/or photos of yours

14 years ago

Hey all....finally got to do a little bit of hosta shopping (not nearly enough). Today we bought Invincible, Devon Green, Kathryn Lewis and Whirlwind (gonna be one of my faves I think).

Just looking for any opinions on how quickly or slowly they might grow, how hardy they have been for you...and any pictures you have of yours so I know what to look forward to.

Thanks!

Kristy :)

Comments (9)

• 14 years ago

My Guardian Angel has been a pretty slow grower up until this year. She really "leaped" as they say. This is from early this spring, and she has really gotten a lot fuller since then. I just bought a great Devon Green from Hallson's a couple of weeks ago. No photo yet, but it's a great plant. I hope it grows quickly.

{{gwi:1041312}}

• 14 years ago

Love Kathryn Lewis -- where did you get it.

• 14 years ago

Okay, I'm an idiot. You asked about Whirlwind, not Guardian Angel. Same story though. Slow growing for me, but finally showing a spurt this year. This photo is also from early this spring. I've seen only a couple of mature specimens in gardens, and they were fantastic.

{{gwi:1053742}}

• 14 years ago

One tip about Whirlwind - I have two one in a little morning sun and the other was in quite a bit of mid day sun. I read here on the forum how people were disapointed that their Whirlwind turned green over the summer. My original one in only a little sun never did. The one in more sun did turn green during the summer so I moved it to a pot in all shade.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the photos and the tips! I do have my Whirlwind in a spot where it will be mostly shaded all day with some sun in the early evening.

Slp, we buy our hostas from some local people in Ramsey MN...we are so lucky to know them. Their yard is gorgeous ~ we enjoy strolling through it while we shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostas & More

• 14 years ago

Here's my Whirlwind, only 2 years old, but it's been a fantastic plant and I really don't baby it as much as some of the others I have. It gets a couple of hours of afternoon sun, but it seems to keep it's color well and it's grown to a nice size in just the 2 years I've had it.

Janet

• 14 years ago

I love it, Janet, thanks! Love your user name too!
    I'm happy to hear that it could be a quicker grower too.

• 14 years ago

I love, love, love both Whirlwind and Invincible. The hostas in the pictures are from last week. They have been in the ground for 3 years.

Invincible

Whirlwind

Queenie

• 14 years ago

Queenie...they are GORGEOUS!!! Thank you for sharing your pics! Hubby picked out Invincible....he's got pretty good taste considering he's not so much the gardener as he is the guy that helps the gardener. ;)

Kristy