Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Started over on hosta

11 days ago

1. My yellow-green hosta are turning green (Squash Casserole and August Moon). Too much sun or too little?

2. My yellow-green centered hosta are turning green (Paul's Glory, Captain Kirk). Too much sun or too little?

3. The new leaves on the hosta that came up with iron chlorosis look normal after repotting in lighter, better draining medium and using a mineral supplement (Foliage Pro). However the old leaves have not changed. The still have the the look of iron chlorosis (green veins and yellow/light green between). I have the (almost) overwhelming desire to put a hand full of Ironite in the pot or get another brand of mineral supplement.

Any suggestions?

bkay

Comments (5)

• 10 days ago

Since starting to put my yellow-green guys and my white-green guys into the shade house (downgraded greenhouse, condemned since major storm) they have started to go green-er or to color up from being sun bleached.

Summer Breeze was white margined in the sun

Zounds has had a hard year.

So, I will say too little sun.

On Paul's Glory If I would have left this guy out in the sun, he would have turned more yellow, but the new store bought one the coloration has still stayed in a green-er yellow but has gotten more defined in the shade house.

So, my answer is: I don't know. Just be careful of the sun. One day too much is not good. Hostas going to do what they want.

• 10 days ago

Boy I sure don’t have an answer here. But my hostas aren’t even fully up yet…. Bet in a month I may have the same question. I am potting a number of hostas this year to find the best spot for them before planting in the ground and to increase size on some that are minis and some that have diminished in size.

debra

• 10 days ago

August Moon is a lutescent hosta, it will yellow up as season the goes. I do not know what weather you are having but temperature can affect nutrients distributions and also fast rate of growth might be too fast for nutrients to catch on.

• 9 days ago

The weather I'm having is rain, rain and more rain. (I'm in Dallas.)

We had no rain last summer (second dry summer in a row). I was still recovering from surgery, so I didn't water the lawn and trees as much as I should have. So, I've lost some limbs on my pecan tree (and some of my lawn), which has always supplied shade for my hosta. I'm trying to figure out where the shade is, and where to put the hosta. I know by summer, I will have to move them again.

This reminds me of Moccasin, who used to post here. She was on the gulf coast. She put up huge shade cloth swaths (from the photos it looked like they were on telephone poles). She bought those huge shade umbrellas for her hosta, too. (I was looking at big umbrellas last week when I thought of her.)

Still, with all the hassle, I still love my hosta.

bkay

• 9 days ago

I found out the hard way that August Moon doesn’t tolerate sun even though it’s listed as sun tolerant. I placed it in a number of spots and it burned wherever I put it. So, now it’s in a pretty shady spot that gets limited sun.

debra