Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_99

A successful CT plant swap

14 years ago

It was great to see everyone! We missed those of you who didn't make it. See you all in the Spring!

Now we just need the recipe for that yummy zucchini strudel from Abi!

Comments (16)

• 14 years ago

A great swap, even with a smaller (but dedicated!) group. And of course, great food. I second the plea for Abi's strudel recipe! And Richie's spice cookies (forgot how great those are -- and how much fun to eat!), if he'll share his secrets?

Thanks to all for the plants -- I braved my worms-on-steroids and got almost all in the ground this afternoon.

Looking forward to the spring swap -- hope everyone has a great fall! (There's a fun garlic festival in Bethlehem next weekend if you're looking for something to do on the holiday weekend...)

/ Marty

• 14 years ago

I just posted my thank you note on the other link, and adding a line on this thread too...it was great to receive all the wonderful plants. Thank you everyone.

It would be interesting to know if some of the plants (grass like) in the small green pots were dayliles or irises? They didn't have any tags on them, so I am wondering...

Also if there were any irises in the Tradescantia Bilberry Ice flower pot because there seemed some divided opinion about it. I looked up the pic and they look beautiful in any case, :-)

Anna
    greenbug

• 14 years ago

Any pictures?

:)
    Dee

• 14 years ago

Anna, maybe the grass in the small green pots you are talking about are my candy lilies. Richie

• 14 years ago

Here is the recipe for the spice cookies if anyone wants to make them. A warning ahead of time the cardamom is very expensive if you don't have any. I paid $12.00 for a bottle is Stop & Shop. Richie

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/ginger-spice-sandwich-cookies-lemon-cream.aspx

• 14 years ago

Anna -- I looked up Tradescantia Bilberry Ice when I got home (since I took a clump too) and I do think that's what you've got in that planter. The leaves look very similar to the photos of Bilberry Ice online to me -- it reminded me of other spiderworts I've had.

I planted the clump I took on the edge of my butterfly garden (since it purportedly attracts butterflies) near the transition to the wooded area. Partial sun, room to spread if it wants, a "native" setting. I read somewhere that it will do well in "moist to boggy" soils but that didn't seem to be a requirement (though I've got those, too, and won't hesitate to move it over there if it languishes where I've put it) ... so plant it and see what happens!

• 14 years ago

Thank you all once again for sharing all of your plants with me! My garden is really getting a good start thanks to you all. I hope to have some plants started from seed for the spring swap, so I'll see you all then! ~ Katie

• 14 years ago

Yep, those must be your candy lilies, Richie, because they were in the same lot with the other plants you gave me. I forgot, but you had mentioned that those were candy lilies.

I like the looks of Bonfire Ice from the pics on the web, so I will surely plant them.

My daughter is also holding on to the pink ball that someone else's daughter left behind at the swap. We will bring it to the Spring Swap :-)!

cheers.

Anna

• 14 years ago

No pictures Dee on this swap. I forgot my camera.

• 14 years ago

Richie- I get my spices from penzeys - they seem pretty reasonable price wise. They have small stores in west hartford and norwalk but I usually order online.

• 14 years ago

I remembered my camera ... I just forgot to take PICTURES!

Agree on Penzeys -- GREAT spices! (Their gift boxes make terrific gifts, too -- they use bay leaves and cinnamon sticks as "packing" around the jars.) The store in Norwalk is fun to wander through (there's a small one at Grand Central, too, now, if you happen to be headed for NYC any time soon). I love the variety of cinnamons they stock. Ethnic markets often have things like cardamon at very reasonable prices, too. I use a lot of it over the holidays in baking, mulled drinks, etc. I do find it better to buy more often, and buy less (tempting, price-wise, as the larger quantities can be!) I make a cardamon cookie at Christmas and boy, can I tell the difference when I make it with newly purchased spices versus the ones in the cabinet from the previous year!!

Thanks for posting the recipe link, Richie! (Abi... ahem...)

• 14 years ago

I go to Penzey's all the time but cardamom hasn't been on my short list recently. When I made these the last time I had to go to Stop & Shop. Penzey's in Norwalk or West Hartford is a bit of a drive for me from here. But for their vietnamese cinnamon I will drive miles for it!

• 14 years ago

When I was first ordering from Penzey's, cinnamon samples always came in the box. Which reminds me, I should do an order soon because they are currently giving away cinnamon. Free cinnamon is always a good idea :-)

My grandmother always had cardamon rolls in the house. I make them often enough that cardamon is a spice staple.

• 14 years ago

I remember back in the early 80's when my grandmother moved in with us she wanted to make pfeferneusse(sp?) cookies for xmas one year. She needed the cardamom and insisted I go to to store and get it. Well, back then it was $6.00 a bottle at ShopRite and I remember the cashier at the time made a big fuss and could not get over how expenisve that little bottle was. Well, believe it of not that was the only time back then we used the cardamom and when I moved out and got my own house I took that bottle of spice with me and still have it in my cabinet. Don't worry, I did not use it on the cookies...LOL. Everytime I open the cabinet and see it, I think of the time when we baked cookies with her. It's a great memory!!!!

• 14 years ago

OK folks here goes. Please realize I never use recipes just kinda dabble in kitchen chemistry. But for the strudel I used:

1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
    2 cups shredded zucchini, salt & pepper to taste
    1 tbs olive oil
    8oz ricotta drained
    about 1/4 cup Parmesan
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbs chopped fresh herbs (basil this time)

preheat oven to 425' lightly saute seasoned zucchini in oil until just soft. Add to drained ricotta, add nutmeg and Parmesan and herbs. Spread cheese veggie mixture on 1/3 of the puff pastry. Roll up starting at short end and seal edges. Make several deep cuts in top, place on baking sheet in middle of oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and puffy. I start checking at 25 min.

That's all really, also good with chopped spinach or broccoli. /Abi

• 14 years ago

Hi Greenbug,
    I realized after I left early on Sunday that I had forgotten a bunch of Tradescantia behind. They were in a long dark green plastic flower trench. They were all Tradescantia "Bilberry Ice" except for one which I cannot remember the name of - but I do know that it had a darker blue flower - perhaps 'Zwanenburg Blue'? NO irises or daylilies in that pot, for sure.

Anyway, I hope they all found good homes!

Bebe