Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

A good day gardening.

19 years ago

Ah,yesterday was prefect after the clouds burned of and I spent a long time playing among the sprouting flowers. I have one place in the yard that's going to have to be a mini meadow for a while because in the grass is coming up 4-get-me-nots,foxglove and a little geranium that arrived under mysterious circumstances years ago(just came up one year and has been re-seeding it's self every since). I just can not bring myself to mow that area until they've had a chance to do their thing.

I have several irisies with fat buds.Dug out from under pinestraw,"Little Brown Jugs",a nice size clump of viola "Fame Check Apricot" the slugs and snails didn't find...yet....knock on wood. One out of about 4 varieties of epimedium is just coming up but I haven't found the others yet.All the tricyrtis I planted last year look like they tripled in size.Gentiana are just tiny little green spots so far. Dutchman's britches haven't come up yet even though the potted ones in the greenhouse have started sprouting. No signs of the yellow fringed orchid(why is it called yellow when the blooms look orange to me?) yet but the chinese ground orchid have flower spikes that should open pretty soon.

The odd little dwarf fritillaria are up in the rock garden and maybe my dogs won't eat them this year before they bloom.Chocolate daisies,winecups,chinese foxgloves and creeping veronica are all looking good in the rock garden.

Trimming all the hydrangeas are going to be a big chore since it I can't stop buying,trading for or propagating the darn things."Cardinal"newly plant last year and still small. Can't remember if I got it limed last fall so the blooms will be the right color.Tri-colored hydrangea"Lemon Wave" sprouting slowing showing off it's colors. Testy little bugger to get established and I think I killed 16 out of 18 cuttings trying to get some big enough to go in the ground the first year and finally planted out 5/4"pots last fall. ,Azalea "Hampton's Beauty" is blooming...I just love this one it's ruffled orangey-pink flowers remind me of a little girl's party dress.

Well, today's going to another busy day in the garden hunting for more treasures that make it thru the winter. I planted lots of new things last fall but have forgotten mostly what and where so it'll be like working in a mine field trying not to un-earth plants.

PP

Comments (7)

• 19 years ago

Yesterday and today were perfect for for getting leaves off all the growing things. I found a couple hostas under the leaves and astilbe. The asiatic lillies are putting forth. Daylillys coming up everywhere. Columbine showing a pretty green. Mockorange budding out as well as Weigelia.Creeping phlox showing a few blooms.Lambsear doing good,mints,catnip
    doing their stuff. Have'nt found my peonies yet hope they made it. It's so good to have a garden.
    Vickie

• 19 years ago

Haven't had much chance in the yard the passed day or so. Trying to get more plants"purdied up" and onto nursery display area. Lots of gardeners coming out to make the first of the seasons plant sellections.Fedex delivered a box of 600 cuttings(fancy coleus,var.begonias,var.lantana,3 varities of sweet potao vine,alternanthera,strobilanthes and 3 varities of wandering jew) so as soon as it gets light out,I'll be off to the greenhouse to strike cuttings. Daughter and kids here for Easter holiday so as we'll be having a big family breakfast when they get up,dye easter eggs and later a dinner on the lawn of bar-b-qued chicken,potao salad,hot dogs and other trimmings.

New chicks arriving later today so we'll be playing w/ baby chicks. Daughter brought a couple of ducklings she couldn't pass up at the farm supply store.Hubby said he saw a new arrival of baby rabbits at the local farm supply and I've been wanting some rabbits for fertilizer(not them...their by-product)

Have a great Easter!

PP

• 19 years ago

Big Red am coming to your house for easter. Will work in greenhouse for food. Sounds like yall will have a real good time. Forgot to mention. Have husband and 3 granddaughters coming with. Hope you have a blessed day. Judy

• 19 years ago

Red,
    come on down....The grandkids and I, dyed eggs and made easter baskets out of brown paperbags yesterday.Rainy today so we're hiding eggs in the dirty laundry and un-made beds....LOL. BBQ chicken,potato salad,hot dogs and other trimmings for Easter dinner. Sorry you missed Easter Sunday breakfast. I made cathead biscuits,thickening gravy,fried some bacon and ham. Lots of hot coffee.No eggs,we raise laying hens and if I eat one more egg,I'll sprout feathers and start clucking.

PP

• 19 years ago

sounds like you had fun. have 3 granddaughters here for a week . No parents so can really spoil them rotten. Will be outside today planting stuff. So guess we will make lots of laundry. Got the eggs done now they have to eat all of them. They can't hardly believe that the Easter Bunny followed them all the way from Nebraska to get their stuff to them. Have a good day. Judy

• 19 years ago

...IS the best cure for a bad day of anything else! LOL!

Leesa

• 19 years ago

It must be spring! I have my first case of posion ivy! Argh! A first I could have done without.

Had another productive day in the yard yesterday.

Uncovered lots more goodies sprouting in the warm weather.A few larkspurs fixin' to bloom w/ lots more right behind them.Yellow scabiosa has buds.Tons of poppy seedlings,about 6 different varieties.A lot ferny looking seedling I can't id until they bloom. The wild evening primrose are trying to take over one bed so I'll have to thin those out along w/ native gauras that self-sewed rather abundantly.Didn't get around to pruning back my rose bushes so they already have buds.

Some of the bearded irises have fat buds soon to bloom and the hostas in pots are unfurling their leaves. A sure sign of a storm w/ high winds and/or hail to blow over the irises and/or beat them and punch holes in the hosta leaves. Looks like I'm borrowing trouble but it happens every year.

Have to move the compost pile onto the new veggie garden and noticed several large sedum "Autumn Joy" and a few bearded irises,I tossed onto the pile last fall coming up so I'll have to find new locations for them.

Gotta tidy up the "Gnome Home" under the big double trunk oak the dogs keep running thru chasing squirrels up it. They've up-ended all my little gnome people.I'll have to put a tiny picket fence around it and hope that keeps them out.

One of these days I'm going to learn to operate this new camera and replace the scanner that just refuses to work any more.

Redhotflowermamma,
    if you'll work for plants,room and board....come on down I could use the help.I haven't even made a dent in the plants that have to be divided and potted up out in the greenhouse.*G*

PP