Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Pictures of Nor'easter in VB

I wanted to post a few pictures of our Nor'easter here in VB...

{{gwi:1178604}}

Lynnhaven Fishing Pier

{{gwi:1178606}}

Lynnhaven Colony...Flooded from Drainage problems...

{{gwi:1178607}}

Barge that ran aground at Sandbridge...Contains chemicals...

Beach road after storm...it had to be plowed to get all the sand off of the streets...

My back yard before the storm...rising tide already close to the top of the bulkhead....

Our boat on the boat lift already at it's highest setting...my hubby starting to get worried!!!

My dog checking out the high tide!!!

Take care everyone....

Laura in VB

Comments (15)

• 14 years ago

Th

is is a picture of my backyard before the storm...

• 14 years ago

Nice looking wiener, I've got one too ;-)

• 14 years ago

Great pics. You guys got it 100x worse than by us. Hope the palms didnt mind it too much (by the looks of it, alot of other trees did).

• 14 years ago

Wow, looks like the lower Chesapeake area got the worst of that storm, oh well, they come along now & then!

• 14 years ago

Wow,now how long before it will be back to normal?

• 14 years ago

Hi
    Damage here has been limited to ocean front. Couple of condos going down at sea. Much beach erosion. gary

• 14 years ago

Hey Don,
    As I make this post...I hear chain saws still cutting trees!!! The tide has dropped back to normal...alot of debris in the water....The pier is in sections....The barge has been towed back out to sea (with the help of two tugboats) But Sandbridge has alot of sand to move around.

We are... sadly to say.. quite use to these storms...everyone has bounced back quickly...the pictures still don't really give you a real feel from the storm...but gives you some idea of what happened here in VB

Have a great day!!!

Laura in VB

• 14 years ago

A picture is worth a 1000 words. That was a close call for many. The last sunny shot of your back yard shows real talent and gives a warm-climate feel. Hopefully, your neigbors will be inspired to plant palms.

The palms probably increase your property value for the VB area. What does your hubby think of the tropical trees, my wife is supportive and likes that its a hobby that keeps me out of trouble :)

Thanks for looking up the volik oil to use and the information on when pindos fruit and how long they fruit for. First hand info is best.

• 14 years ago

Hey Greg,

My neighbors really do enjoy the trees!! They especially like it when I put on the Christmas lights!!! Makes me feel like I'm somewhere near Jimmy Buffet land!!! LOL !!

When I first planted the trees...my hubby thought that I had lost my mind...even my kids thought that I loved the trees more than them!!! Now you would think that he planted the trees!!! He loves them...my kids really like them too! They finally understand what I was trying to accomplish years ago...When they bring their friends over and sit around the firepit...they finally get it!!!

Now that the trees are easy to take care of (except when trimming them at spring time)..I have turned into a Plumeria addict... I still love the palms though!!!

Hobbies are a good thing!!!

Take Care...

Laura in VB

• 14 years ago

Hi Laura,

I know what you mean, once in a while someone acts like if one enjoys cultivating palms, that its wierd, until it grows in and looks sharp:) Meanwhile it has gotten more and more mainstream. Even Atlantic City NJ places palms in every so often, however its the wrong variety often in a poor location.

One day, I hope to show that my micro climate in Brooklyn can support palms with minimal protection. My 3 story brick house is 30 ft and the back yard faces south. My basement (giant old foundation) is warm and the ground that is not cemented almost never freezes on the southern side. Its a row house from the 1880s Eventually we will see if I can get a cabbage palm or pindo planted along the back of the house how it does.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• 14 years ago

Thanks Buzzsaw...My dashscund is the best dog ever!! What a personality they have...

Greg...I think you do have a great way to keep those palms warm...I think your row house is great...especially from back in the 1880's !!!

TZ7...if you want to try some "Jelly" send me an email...I will be happy to send you some!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• 14 years ago

Thanks laura, but maybe they have some in a specialty store nearby (especially in NYC, they have alot of exotic things there). I might go looking for some :)

What does it taste like? It looks pretty good!

Thanks again!

• 14 years ago

TZ7,

I'm so sorry that I missed your post on the jelly...I was just showing my daughter the pics that I posted and saw your post...I thought that my post was the last...anyway the jelly taste like a sweet citrus jelly. It's hard to explain...but it's quite tasty!! I have sent to some on this forum and on the Plumie forum...They all like it!!!
    Maybe the jars will be bigger next year!!! LOL I was alittle nervous about this batch...since it was a new recipe..(it came from a palm poster) Tks..Bryan in LYH !!!
    I especially like it on Bagels...Makes me hungry thinking about it!!!

If you would like to try...give me a shout (TZ7) my email is listed by my name....I have read before that you are sometimes shy about contacts...and locations... I do understand and appreciate this!!! But if you ever want to try...I will be more than willing to send you some!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• 14 years ago

Thanks laura for replying to my post, I appreciate it!

• 14 years ago

Laura, Thanks again for all the great pics! Im glad you and all your trees made it thru NorIda ok! I love seeing all your pics and hearing you discuss your climate and palms! It makes me a tad jealous and almost even want to live in VB! HA! Its people like all of us here who are getting these palms and the whole "tropical esque gardening more and more popular every year. now if I could just talk the owner of a tropical themed resturant very close to where I live into doing palms that will actually survive here in stead of killing a dozen qeens and a dozen coconuts and several washintonias every here....

Btw... My best friend has two lil wiener dogs and I Love em to death! They are my niece and nephew! hehehe! Love dem hotdogs! ;-)

Keep those awesome pics coming!