Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Lost in the 50's

14 years ago

I have hundreds of buds, many of them all colored up and waiting to pop and I'm afraid they may not beat the deadline. So many buds and so little sunshine and now tonight the threat of our first frost :-( I know I have no right to complain after the summer we've had but one can still hope for just one more week.....right ?

I've been spending time fertilizing all the evergreen acid lovers and slowly weaning my koi off their food for the winter while keeping one eye out for that one more possible flush. Here's a few random shots I've taken over the last couple of days when the sun has popped out briefly......I even managed to cut a few more bouquets. Thanks for looking :-)

Oklahomas on the clock

{{gwi:1283283}}

Joseph's Coat in the sky

{{gwi:1283284}}

Abe Darby

{{gwi:1283285}}

Bouquets

{{gwi:1283286}}

Scent from Above

{{gwi:1283287}}

Some shots of the pond

{{gwi:1283288}}

{{gwi:1283289}}

{{gwi:1283290}}

The front

{{gwi:1283291}}

Comments (15)

• 14 years ago

BOXOFROX first of all I want to tell you that I will surly miss your works of ART (bouquets). They have truly inspired me to try and grow other forms of flowers for my bouquets.
    Now for your garden there is none that comes close to your MASTER PIECE.
    Harold

• 14 years ago

Boxofrox, what wonderful garden photos to look at. I love them all. Especially though the one of the boquets and the last photo of your garden. In that photo what are the blooms on the left, and then all the rest ? Its a mix of Roses and Dahlias ? What time of the growing season was this photo taking ? Its a gorgeous photo ! No wonder you will miss your garden over winter.

• 14 years ago

Beautiful roses and garden views, boxofrox, my favorite being your gorgeous Abraham Darby and the fountain with the roses and dahlias around it. I hope you'll continue to have these visions of beauty a little while longer. Still, you'll have your pond and the trees and shrubs and, even without much color, I can imagine your garden looking equally beautiful in an entirely different way.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

Thanks Harold, I agree that my favorite bouquets include other flowers but feature roses. My pathetic little weather whine was more about the present than the future. It's been such a great season just for sheer volume and the longer the roses last the shorter the time to the camelias and the like :-) The great thing about a young garden is that it gets better with each season. I'm going to be doing some tweaking in the spring that I'm excited about and without winter one can't get to spring but.....:-)

Thanks rosemeadow, you are such a sweetheart to say that:-) The last picture is recent, all the flowers in the foreground are dahlias. They have bloomed so heavily and now are starting to decline with the cool and wet temps. Roses run all along the fence in the background. They start by that copper gate to the pond and run most of the way. The dahlias were just temporary for there and are all moving to beds in the back where they will be interspersed with roses and azaleas. I'm currently looking at various low growing/mounding roses to circle the fountain pool.

• 14 years ago

Thank you Ingrid, you're right in that winter is just a whole different breed of cat. We just hate to see all them gorgeous engorged buds go to waste.I ain't heard no fat ladies singing yet and the suns out as we speak so just maybe......

I am getting quite fond of my camellias too and I've added new Edgeworthias so with the daphnes and sweet box and firethorns and flowering quince, winter has it's perks, it just doesn't have those beloved roses. But then we do have those 2 trips to Palm Springs :-)

• 14 years ago

What a treat to visit your beautiful garden-----Your pictures are so lovely and you do have a wonderful artistic touch with your bouquets-
    Florence

• 14 years ago

Thank you Florence :-)

I have this neighbor lady who power walks the neighborhood and she loves my hydrangeas but says they aren't in the budget. I went out this AM and cut her 4 huge hydrangeas and stuffed as many dahlias in with them as I could fit. You know it's a fine line between making her smile and getting grief from her husband, but what the heck I just decided to take the leap. Besides, if I don't get jiggy with cutting them, they'll just become compost pretty soon anyway. Pretty easy choice ;-)

{{gwi:1283292}}
    {{gwi:1283293}}
    {{gwi:1283294}}

• 14 years ago

Boxofrox, I just love your pond shots, the front shot and those outdoor bouquets! So lively and colorful! My POWER WALK is Empowered-Stalking, LOL, LOL!

• 14 years ago

Very beautiful landscape you have Boxofrox and your bouquets are absolutely amazing, I wish I had that many flowers to make such lovely arrangements. You are so lucky.

• 14 years ago

Oh my goodness, I luuuuuuuv the shot of your front yard. Its soooo gorgeous. Your bouquets are so pretty. I love mixing my dahlias with my roses. How many dahlias do you have? I have the hardest time trying to stake my dahlias and always wait to late in the season to start staking them but plan to do much better next spring as soon as I see those babies pop outta the ground. My dad has me a bunch of bamboo stakes ready to use for support. You are sweet to make you neighbor a bouquet. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• 14 years ago

Wow Boxofrox, you have a truly beautiful garden! Love the pond! And the dahlias! And the hydrangeas too! Mine quit blooming months ago.

• 14 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

Judy, I think I have around three dozen or so dahlias and I know what you mean about the stakes. I have most of my taller ones in the same bed by my pond and I just made a cedar and copper fence around them for support. I took 2x2 cedar and drilled holes @ 12" intervals and ran 1/2" copper pipe through horizontally, it works like a charm. Then I just use my trusty green velcro garden tape to tie.

• 14 years ago

Boxofrox, Thank you so much for the inspiration. You garden is just heavenly.

Carrie

• 14 years ago

Thank you Carrie, you are so kind.

What I really like about this gallery forum is that as the times and seasons and weather changes and the roses come and go from one garden, they appear in another. I was somewhat melancholy when I started this thread because it felt like my roses had so much unfinished business. Then pictures started showing up here from other regions and vicariously the blooming business is finishing. Now the weather is giving me a bit of a reprieve and although the buds may not all open, plenty of them already have.

When you wish upon a rose, I suppose only heaven knows what you can expect :-)

{{gwi:1283295}}

{{gwi:1283296}}

• 14 years ago

Just one question - can I come live in your yard? Absolutely gorgeous pictures!

Michelle