Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnolias4ever

Excellent!! Thank You Dr. Carolyn :-)

16 years ago

OK, went to the library today (even got my own library card LOL) Well, needless to say, I haven't been in a library in a long time. The last time I was there I was working on genealogy, not vegetables.

So I look up tomatos to find where the books are (Non-Fiction 635 area) and what did I find? I found this really cool book "100 Heirloom Tomatos for the American Garden". I'm thinking "wow, this is a cool book!" Then I see who the author is -- Dr. Carolyn J. Male..... OH!!!!! I know who she is!!!!!

I couldn't wait to get the book checked out. Mel's new square foot gardening book is already checked out at all 4 libraries here in Mobile... but I'm on the list for when it gets turned back in.

So we decide to go to dinner (yeah!! I don't have to cook tonight I'm thinking) We went to Red Lobster and I didn't mean to be rude or anything, but I brought Dr. Carolyn's book in the restaurant with me. Before we left there, I am almost 1/2 way thru it! Love this book!!!

I've learned so much already, just about the history of the tomato, tomato diseases, how to start as seedlings, harden off, transplant, etc, etc. And I'm into the part where Dr. Carolyn gives specific info about EACH of the 100 heirlooms -- there's even pics of the tomato plant and of the fruit.

This is an awesome book. I think I'm going to just have to find one to buy because I can see where I would refer back to it time and time again.

I especially like the section on how to develop your own "heirloom" tomato... it would take a while to do, but it really sounds like it would be fun.

Thanks again for a great book. For all you newbies out there, get a copy. The book explains so much.

Judy

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

Very cool that you discovered Carolyn's book - it really does inspire & give great info -newb's & not alike. Some people try to make it a mission to grow all 100 varieties she lists ... Lot's of fun! I think it's a definite "must own" & I know they are in the next printing & available about mid-Feb, unless you get lucky!!

• 16 years ago

What Kim said about reprinting and availability by mid to late February.

And no, I'm not getting rich; I haven't received one penny of royalties and don't intend to. I was asked to write the book and didn't do it for money.

Judy, you'll see that I sign all my posts here and at other places where I post as Carolyn, and that's what I prefer. I'm retired and left the Dr. Carolyn moniker behind me. LOL

Thanks for the kind words Judy and Kim.

And now to bed b'c I've stayed up so late to watch the Australian Tennis Open for I'm a dedicated tennis fanatic. ( smile)

Carolyn

• 16 years ago

I love this book too. It was the first tomato book I bought. Very inspiring and informative. In fact I'm trying some of Carolyn's 100 this year.

• 16 years ago

Last year when the tomato craze hit me my wife bought me ALL the tomato books she could find. Dr. Carolyn's was definitely the most informative on different varieties and a great catalog of delicious options from someone with tons of experience. It still makes me drool. ;)

Mike

• 16 years ago

And no, I'm not getting rich; I haven't received one penny of royalties and don't intend to. I was asked to write the book and didn't do it for money.

Im a little confused here. You have commented on this a number of times publicly in the past with statements ranging from it being so little it doesnt amount to much to not receiving the royalties for ten years.

Either way, take the money honey. I would guess with an added printing it amounts to something. I seriously doubt Smith & Hawken (now owned by Scots - aka Miracle Gro and Monsanto partner in GMO technology) are hurting that much that they need that money due you.

If you feel bad about taking it why not donate the royalties to the USDA tomato seed project there in NY so they can continue growouts or some other charity?

• 16 years ago

Yes, I liked the book too. Found it in the library about
    five years ago and learned a lot. I had forgotten, though,
    about the section on "developing your own heirloom" so suppose
    I will have to go back and get it again. I want to try and "dehybridize"
    a discontinued variety for which I've been able to find a few seeds
    still available (reputedly F1).

• 16 years ago

Im a little confused here. You have commented on this a number of times publicly in the past with statements ranging from it being so little it doesnt amount to much to not receiving the royalties for ten years.

I guess you are confused K, since I haven't received any royalties at all and have never said what I received was so small it doesn't amount to much. I did receive a non-returnable advance but my latest statement showed that I still owed about 24K out of book sales. I was responsible, indirectly thru book sales, for picking up all the printing costs and photography as well.

Smith and Hawken does not owe me money. They subcontracted to Workman Press to do four books in a series, two on roses, one on orchids and mine.

No one owes me money, as I explained above I owe Workman about 24K in book sales. Small peanuts for them as well.

And the reprinting is not going to significantly change anything with regard to what I owe and royalties don't accrue until publishing costs are met.

I'm sorry I wasn't asked to redline a copy that was sent off for reprinting b'c there were a few errors I would have liked to correct and I certainly would have redone the recommendations for tomato seed sources since much has changed since I had to write that section in the Fall of 1998.

I hope that clarifies the issue for you. ( smile)

Carolyn

• 16 years ago

{{gwi:1294066}}As a follower and student of what your profess, I was just wondering about what you have said in the past publically to what you were saying now.

GW wont allow links to those examples but they are out there at several places (smile).

And I am a little confused still. Your response's choice of phrasing "I owe Workman..." seems misleading even when followed by "book sales". Should I take that to mean you wouldn't receive anything till about that much in publishing costs are recouped rather than Workman sending you a bill for 24K "Hey, you owe!" I mean that seems like their debt not yours. So I dont see as were you'd "owe" them. If so, seesh! Is that correct?

I've been asked to write several times now. I wonder why I should bother doing it for some entity when if I wanted to I can easily put anything up on the web. With the web being a more dynamic format things can easily be updated or corrected to change information. That's been almost as easy to do as editing a forum post since the late 90's. Now one could also embedded videos if they choose. Though it is harder to take it in for bathroom reading without a laptop and a wireless connection.

Not writing a book makes even more sense now especially after your lamenting of not being able to "redline" the revision. You could takehave out those lines that aren't actually heirlooms!

Speaking of "redline revisions", it seems you miss your red pen! (I worked for a professor who also seemed to enjoy red pens. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they got their work back!) I saw your comments about wanting to correct things in Linda Sapp's catalog. I'm sure she appreciates the corrections help.

• 16 years ago

Correct Keith, I see no royalties until book costs are covered. Workman does not send me a bill.

As regards royalties and your comment about insinuating that I've said in the past that I've received some and say now that I never have, that is totally incorrect. Why would I say I had when I hadn't? Makes no sense at all. And you will never find a link to anything where I've said differently/

Redlining in the trade does not necessarily mean using a red pen, it means calling attention to any suggested changes with a pen of any color.

I've been good friend with Linda Sapp for many years and there's a post at another site where folks called attention to some spelling errors in the new catalog. And I saw some as well; some were duplicates. And yes, she very much appreciates such feedback, whether it be from me or others, as was the case.

Carolyn

• 16 years ago

I am definitely glad to hear that there will be a 2nd publishing -- it's a great book. I would have never known or probably asked about tomatos with "cat facing" -- actually, I would probably just have thown the tomato away thinking that something was really wrong it LOL That's what I mean about so much info packed into this book. I've read it and now even re-read it again :-) The book is probably going to be worn out when I return it to the library in 3 weeks.

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ft2Garden.com