Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Another Yard On New Years

14 years ago

Happy 2010 to everyone! Here are a few pictures of my yard. I moved here about two years ago so all of my tropical fruit trees have been planted less then two years. My Alano Sapodilla just started to speed up its growth and has lots of pinkish leaves. The large Mango tree is a VP bought as a seven gallon plant from PIN two years ago, its now about 10-12 feet tall! I included a pix of a still unplanted dirt mound...future site of an undetermined Avocado, Longan or maybe another Mango. The small Tamarind tree is planted in my front yard. I have about a dozen Banana trees planted that includes Ice Cream, Orinoco, cavendish, and Thai Egg type. Also have an Ackee tree, its now about 7-8 feet tall. Last year it totally dried up and lost all its leaves and branches when about three feet tall. I was about to pull it up when I noticed a little green at the top, it came back in spring and even grew about 4-5 feet more. The avocado tree is a Russell, if you notice it has a section with no leaves. Last fall/summer I almost lost the tree due to a fungus, I made the common mistake of overwatering the tree. It lost almost all its leaves and the trunk even split. Talked to a guy at Spkyes who advised it had fungus and needed regular copper treatments. Started spraying copper each week on the tree and pouring the excess solution on the roots and it slowly came back. Today it seems healthy except for its small bald spot. I don't water it unless its really, really dry.

Luckily its raining here now because my rain barrel just went empty this morning. Again Happy New Year to everyone.

Comments (25)

• 14 years ago

it just got done raining here as well.

my Alano looks the same as yours and just started getting red flushes of new growth. it didnt do much the first year i planted it.

• 14 years ago

wow your trees are looking great in the ground, the tamarind is nice and thick.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• 14 years ago

Beutifull yard. I wish I could look outside and see the same but all I can see is endless snow! And this time of year it is no longer pretty. The snow is dirty and brown. You guys in FL are sooo lucky. Good luck with all your fruits. Your VP is awesome!
    Andrew

• 14 years ago

swrancher,
    Your trees look very nice. What are the stakes and wire around the tree for?

• 14 years ago

Wow, that Valencia Pride looks amazing for a tree that has only been inground for 2 years. If I ever am actually able to move a bit south I think I'll definitely spend the extra on some bigger trees to start with.

• 14 years ago

Nice yard. Your plants should have no problem receiving full sun there! Great job. Post more pictures as they grow.

• 14 years ago

You're Alano looks like it'll end up with a nice shape. I had to trim mine quite a bit last year since the fruit were hanging too close to the ground. They are great about having fruit in different stages. VP mango is excellent, tastes great and it grows as fast as any mango can.

• 14 years ago

Great looking yard and trees...are you in zone 10? Thanks for posting the pictures!!

• 14 years ago

jsvand,
    I don't think its a good idea to spend the extra money on larger trees. I included an interesting link on the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree size

• 14 years ago

I have seen that, but I don't know if a 7 gal would really be considered a big tree. I am thinking that article is talking about people buying the huge 35 gal trees or even bigger. I could not believe the size of some of the trees Excalibur sells. I didn't even know they made pots that big.

• 14 years ago

a wise man once told me its not the size of the tree that matters, its the girth of the trunk ;)

you have to watch out for big trees, if they are in a small container (most people think good buy) its probabl;y rootbound and may have adapting issues.

if its in a large container then its probably well over priced

i never buy anything over 7 gallon, that Angie Mango is sold by fairchild at about 3 foot in a 2 gallon pot, you can see already how solid that trunk is developing.

• 14 years ago

Wonderful looking yard!! What zone are you in?

• 14 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm located in zone 10B, about 15 miles west of Fort Lauderdale, FL. The small fence barriers around the trees are to keep my chickens from digging in mulch. They love digging around in the mulch looking for bugs to eat and I got tired of raking up after them each and every afternoon plus buying bags of mulch almost daily gets expensive, LOL...

Here's one of our feathered excavators/bug eaters "Buttercup."

• 14 years ago

Murahilin,
    I agree with you on the tree size for any tree. I bought my lancetilla and requested alarger tree. I noticed my mistake immedietly as soon as I got it. The problem being that I paid more $$ for a tree that had to be cut down to almost notyhing because it only had one leader. I had to prune it back to get it to branch. Well now I know for next time. I was satisfired with my Julie but Lancetilla cost me way more then it should have. Even with annuals and perrenials in NY, I always go for the smaller plants. Better bargain and better root system.
    Andrew

• 14 years ago

Jsvand,
    I wouldnt really even recommend a 7 gallon over a 3 gallon. Within a year or two both trees would probably be around the same size in the ground and for the price of a 7 you could probably have bought two 3 gallons. 3 gallons are also easier to train because of the smaller size. Even at the nursery I would usually recommend 3 gallons to people over a 7 unless they wanted fruit right away which I usually sold them 25-300 gallons. It was amazing at how many people bought trees in those hundred gallon containers.

• 14 years ago

When I was at Excalibur getting my Bangkok Lemon jack I saw someone buying one of those huge mango trees. I am not positive I am remembering right, but I think they paid 1k for it.

• 14 years ago

That sounds about right. And then they have to pay for delivery and planting.....I think that is extra.

• 14 years ago

The most I've ever seen anyone pay for a tree there was 8k for a Gary mango that was in the ground. The tree was about 15ft tall and wide. That included delivery and planting I think.

• 14 years ago

thats ridiculous for a mango tree, a slow grower like a Canary Island Date Palm i can imagine spending that much on.

a big part of the enjoyment for me is watching them grow.

• 14 years ago

They wanted the tree that large so they could block the view of their neighbors house. People tend to buy large trees for that reason more often than youd expect.

• 14 years ago

Is the "Gary" mango at least a good variety? I have not heard of it before.

Oh, and I checked last night, my Bangkok lemon is definitely grafted. Don't know what you call it, but it looks like they did kind of a reverse cleft graft.

• 14 years ago

nice pics wrancher- how much land you got going on there? and how many chickens do you raise?

• 14 years ago

Gary mango is supposed to be very good. I was waiting all year to get to try the Gary mango for first time but they sold the tree with the fruit on it. I was told it has a pina colada taste to it. Hopefully this summer i'll get to try one.

The graft they did was pretty much an inverted cleft approach graft. The tie little jackfruit seedlings to the big tree and graft em like that.

• 14 years ago

The Gary mango is another of those small mangos that matures with little color fanfare but great flavor and no fiber. It seems to be pretty susceptabe to anthracnose, however, it may do better in coastal areas rather than inland areas like my property. I believe it is named after Gary Zill from Zill High Performance Plants. His family has been very, very prominent in the world of Florida mangos for many decades. You have to know that if Gary Zill would put his name on it....it has to be darned good.

• 14 years ago

lycheeluva - We have almost two acres of land and thirteen chickens.

Tony

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting