Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

Squash Vine Borer Eggs on Tomato Plants??

11 years ago

I'm wondering if any of you have ever had squash vine borers lay eggs on your tomato plants? I suddenly have these flat reddish eggs all over a couple of tomato and peppers (and even one of my citrus trees). They look exactly like squash vine borer eggs to me, but maybe I'm wrong... They seemed to have passed over my squash patch, oddly enough. Are there other pests that lay similar eggs? If they are SVB, I'm assuming I don't really need to worry that they'll attack the nightshades - and they're far from the squash so I can't image the larvae getting there on their own.

I'm picking and destroying them, but the habit is like SVB - an egg here, an egg there - and I'm sure I've missed some. I looked up eggs for tomato stalk borers and they don't seem to look similar. Should I prepare to do surgery on my tomato stems later this season?

Weird...

Comments (13)

• 11 years ago

This would be exceptionally early for SVBs even in your zone. May is claimed as the earliest emergence date on most info sheets and it is mid-June here. Do you know the emergence date for your area?

I agree that the eggs in the pics are possibly SVB eggs but they could easily be something else too. So the only way to ID them for sure would be empirically. Have you seen any sign of the moths? For eggs in the numbers you describe one would expect there to have been many of them.

And on tomato plants and trees while passing up squash? That would be most unusual IME. Are you west coast or east of the Rockies. SVB is an east of the Rockies pest and per most IPM info on them cannot complete a normal life cycle except on squash or pumpkins so it would seem they will do little damage to tomatoes or peppers with their woody stems.

Dave

• 11 years ago

Hi - sorry - my info used to have my city on it. I guess Gardenweb changed that. I live in Houston TX. Last year I saw my first SVB moth on April 10, and it's been another mild winter, so I would think now is possible...

I guess the main thing to do is keep picking them and keep an eye on the plants...

• 11 years ago

It would be great info to have for the future Julia so you might want to snip a branch and monitor it for hatch to see what they are. And make a note of the date too. Not only good info for you but it is the kind of info our local county ag extension office loves to have to pass on to others.

Good luck.

Dave

• 11 years ago

That's a good point, Dave. I picked a branch with 3 eggs on it - we'll see if anything emerges. I'm not sure I'll be able to ID something that tiny, but you never know.

• 11 years ago

You might try taking them to your local extension office (or another branch with the suspect eggs) to see if they can identify them. If they can't identify the eggs, they may want to allow them to hatch so they can identify the hatchlings.

Betsy

• 11 years ago

May is claimed as the earliest emergence date on most info sheets and it is mid-June here

Dave, Where can I find this 'info sheet' for my area? I've tried calling my County Extension office but the wait time (12 minutes + usually) on hold is too much for me. :-)

• 11 years ago

Mary - it is part of the IPM (Integrated Pest Management) Research Project and most all land-grant universities - the state university that runs your ag extension offices) are part of the project.

So depending on your state you should be able to find a link to it on the your state's extension website. Needless to say, some state extensions are better than others so if not post your state and I'll see if I can track it for you.

Dave

• 11 years ago

I've been trying to find it on our site and it ain't there! Arizona. Thanks tons and bunches. Julia, sorry for the hijack but this will be quick. :-\

• 11 years ago

OK Arizona explains it as SVB are considered an east of the Rockies pest only. That doesn't mean you don't have any that wander in, just that they aren't regarded as a significant pest in AZ and each state IMP focuses on primary pest problems for their state.

Below I linked the U of AZ IPM website - all sorts of info on what are considered your dominant pests. And they offer a Monthly Calendar of Pest Activity you can explore. Click on each month for a list of pests associated with that month. May seems to be your grub hatch so SVB pupae would likely hatch about the same time. June brings out your "All summer bugs alert". etc.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: U of AZ IPM website

• 11 years ago

Thanks a lot Dave!

• 7 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I am SO hoping someone sees this!! I live in New Hampshire and the squash borer is my nemesis. Ever since I lost my first squash to it 7 or 8 years ago I have been studying and analyzing this horrible insect. I won't bore you with all the awful details unless you want me too, but you all must know something that just happened in my garden......a vine borer moth was laying eggs all over my tomato and pepper plants!!! I followed her for at least ten minutes! She eventually went to my summer squash, but I was shocked to see her activity around my other plants! So Julia, YES, those are borer eggs! Also, what will happen to the tomatoes?????

• 7 years ago

If the Moth lays eggs then the eggs ( if survived) will become borer. Will they bore tomatoes ? Probably not. That is why they are called Squash vine borer, me thinks.

Sey

• 7 years ago

They may adapt and become tomato borers =:o

Linda