Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofyyno

any unusual, different fridges?

13 years ago

I�m redoing my kitchen. We have a Viking SS refrigerator (which is awful) and a Bosch dishwasher (which is worse. Well it�s great if you like quite, but not very good if you want it to actually clean a dish). I�m looking for some ultra-modern, unusual options. Bright colors work also. I can�t seem to find anything different or fun out there. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• 13 years ago

Smeg fridges, 50's look but bright colors. Try googling red refrigerator, usually the manufacturer will have other colors as well.

• 13 years ago

Another retro style brand at the link below, but they come in almost every color of the rainbow.
    Elica makes some really cool bright colored ultra modern hood fans. Some of them are recirculating and can also double as pendant lights (if you end up needing to replace that).
    You could try doing panel ready appliances where applicable also and get a cabinet company to make you a painted MDF panel or something in whatever color you want. I saw a Sub-Zero kitchen done in lime green and bamboo and it looked amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bright Colored Appliances

• 13 years ago

Miele refrigerators - gorgeous, but so expensive! i saw one that had a laquer over white finish. it was beautiful.

• 13 years ago

not sure if its available in the US, but while researching fridges, I came across a Bosch that has a flatscreen TV on the door. Not a gadget person, but even I thought that was cool. No idea of the cost, either. Just FYI.

• 13 years ago

We have a blue Big Chill!

Another one we considered with color was Amana, but these were a little small. We had 18 cu ft but wanted something a little bigger. They used to have a cobalt blue, but it appears they don't carry that anymore, just red and the green is new.

I really wish color kitchen appliances were more common.

You might want to look at IKEA, too. I can't remember if they have colors or not. I can't get the page to load.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amana color refrigerators

• 13 years ago

A day will come when you will be able to channel where to put the "waste" heat that your fridge creates. In summer it's best sent outside. If I could just send it to the basement, I'd be happy.

A remote compressor is possible. It gives you have totally silent operation in the kitchen (open area in many houses and condos.) A little tubing to and from the compressor is not a challenge.

Combine these two and you have something new and perhaps worthwhile for many,

I saw Blomberg or Liebherr mentioned they would provide a remote compressor option one day.

Do-it-yourself boat fridge kits let you snap-connect a tube (once only) onto a compressor, and your system is ready to go. The tube and compressor have refrigerant in them already.

• 13 years ago

A remote compressor - now that's something I'd be interested in. I have a remote blower for my downdraft, a remote fan to ventilate my finished basement, and a remote fan in the attic to ventilate the second floor bathrooms.

Luckily my current Sub Zeros are fairly quiet but they're 24 years old and I'm dreading the day when I'll have to replace them. It's not just the cost but there have been so many reports here about the noise level on new refrigerators.

• 13 years ago

The big chill's are cool. I do like the freezer on the bottom set up i have now with the viking. ( I'm tall). I which they had that, or refrigerator and freezer only options.

Davidro1- funny you should mention this. the other thing I'm considering is turning a 5'x5' pantry into a walk-in fridge. Sorta like a wine cellar (but without need for humidity control). It would give me plenty of room, and a high degree of unique/coolness factor.

• 13 years ago

Aga makes a refrigerator that comes in 4 or 5 colors

Here is a link that might be useful: Aga fridge

• 13 years ago

I've got one for ya - if you're lucky enough to find one sitting in a showroom collecting dust!

How about a round fridge? Equator introduced one @ 2001 and it was around $3500 and they probably sold a half dozen or so.

The link shows a few other wackadoodle options too.

There's also the corner fridge , but you'd have to self import from England.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round fridge

• 13 years ago

Goofy, are you talking about just colours/patterns on the fridge, or actually a physically different looking fridge? If the former, can't you just put a clear panel on a built-in and just put whatever colours/patterns you want behind that? Heck, if you want to spend the money you can even have the backing changed out seasonally so it's always fresh! Follow clothing trends -- argyle was popular again in 2009/2010. :)

At least in the end you'd actually have a fridge that accomplishes its intended task in a practical manner.

• 13 years ago

The door can open both ways. A fridge can open from both sides. It's one door with the right mechanism on both sides so that it can either open from the left or the right, at any time with no adjustment necessary.

With this either-or door, a fridge in a corner near the doorway can be opened by someone standing just outside the kitchen. Good for getting snacks.

I repeat: a single door, with hinges on both sides, and depending on which way you pull the centered horizontal handle makes the hinges on one side or the other become the pivot hinges, and the other hinges aren't used. It works very well. My description so far doesn't explain how the "unused pair of hinges" keeps out of the way. I'll have to go look again, one day. It's the opposite of a French Door concept where you have to get right in front of the fridge and open two small doors.

60 years ago there was a brand that sold these. " Philco V-Handle Refrigerator".

• 13 years ago

oh, I like that round one. I'll need to search for it.

Bishop8, either or. I have a very fun whimsical house. Fun (but sort of practical) is the key. I'd love a different looking fridge, but will probably need to go with colors instead.

• 13 years ago

Summit is offering custom colors: http://www.summitappliance.com/refrigeration
    They have refrigerator and freezer drawers in custom colors as well. I wish I could see those drawers in person. I wonder if they are practical as a replacement for a traditional refrigerator/freezer.

• 13 years ago

They haven't made them for years, but General Electric for decades sold a refrigerator that looked to all the world like three side-by-side wall cabinets, until you opened the doors. The rightmost door opened to the freezer. Google GE Wall Fridge or GE Wall Refrigerator (on the web or under "images") and you'll find lots of them. They turn up for sale from time to time - they seem to last forever and owners can't find suitable replacements that will fit, so they keep fixing the old ones.

Currently there's the Sub-Zero 700 series that disappears into a pair of drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Wall Cabinet Fridge/Freezer