Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

I can see my W/D through the window :( X-post

15 years ago

I asked this ? in the laundry forum too but thought I would try here also.

In our new home our W/D will be 52" high and the depth is about 30". I took the tape measure in there and noticed they will protrude out so that they will be seen through the window. If I didn't use those pedestals they would be 14" shorter and then they wouldn't show. But, there goes the conveinience of the pedestals! What would you all do? Sacrifice conveinience for asthetics?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• 15 years ago

Will the washer and dryer be sitting directly in front of the windows or do you just mean that they'll be visible through the windows? If the latter, I would get the pedestals for the convenience and not worry that that the washer and dryer stand high enough to be seen.

If the washer and dryer will sit under the window, maybe you could put two tiers of plantation shutters on the window and leave the lower tier closed to hide the machines but open the upper tier for light.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 15 years ago

My front loaders don't protrude in front of a window, but the window is close (I planned it that way). However, I need a window covering anyway (it's the only one in the house) because I almost got caught topless by the oil guy one day (oil fill cap is right outside that window). I prefer to think "almost", it might have been "actually caught". So, I have cafe curtains there now. The window at issue is next to the washer (so, if the washer was deeper it would cover part of the window).

Is this a front window, side window, rear window? You could just do a shutter or cafe curtain to hide it from outside.

I have back issues, so I like my pedestals. I assume the window at issue is behind the washer and dryer?

• 15 years ago

When standing in the door way of the laundry room the W/D will be on the right hand wall. The window is straight ahead; so the set will "protrude" out
    in front of that window about 3 or 4 inches. It is a pretty small LR. This window faces the front of the house; I wouldn't be concerned if it faced another direction.
    bevangel- I like the plantation shutter idea only my window is pretty small;
    3X3.
    sue36- I probably can do some kind of window treatment.....getting caught topless is a scary thought, LOL!
    I should just not worry about it; that's what DH says :) Thanks for the help!

• 15 years ago

I have the same laundry room set up and we did plantation shutters.

• 15 years ago

Can you actually see them from a distance or do you have to be standing right in front with your face pressed up against the window? My laundry is also at the front of the house and I didn't give it a second thought. If someone wants to peak in the window and sees the laundry room that's OK with me. As long as it's neat and clean I don't care. I have low e-windows so it's a bit difficult seeing in just at a glance from a distance.

{{gwi:1397849}}

• 15 years ago

brutuses,

That is just about like my LR! The only difference is the W/D will be right up against that window and out into the middle of it. I would love it if they fit like yours!!

• 15 years ago

Do you have a photo?