Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Anyone else plant trees for Earth Day?

14 years ago

I still remember the first Earth Day.... I was lucky enough to have a 'cool' young teacher that dragged us out to honor the day by cleaning up the wooded area next to school. :)

I ordered myself a small fruit orchard recently (lol!) and the trees arrived on Wed.! I planted one then, and two yesterday (my Earth Day planting was a cherry tree and apple tree :) and still have more to plant tonight or this weekend.

I'm a gardener and, as much as possible, protector of the earth.

Comments (4)

• 14 years ago

That is so neat Party Music. Nice that you have the space to be able to plant your fruit trees. You will enjoy them for years to come. I'm in So. Calif. and have a very small yard. No space to plant trees here. Luvs

• 14 years ago

Good for you PM...glad that teacher made such a positive
    impression on you!
    Seems like you've turned into a regular 'Johnny Appleseed'!
    In the old house I owned, before I moved here, the former owner was a Botanist. He planted 7 Apple Trees.. One was a grafted tree with several different types of apples. Unfortunately..'ole black thumb here' could Not get it to produce anything like he did.
    It's nice you're able to have those Fruit trees. I have the space here to do that, but the deer would enjoy them way more than me. lol
    So each year I get my little saplings from the Arbor Society.. and this week planted my 'Happy Little Pines'!

jane

• 14 years ago

Good for you, party! I think it is so important to plant something if you can...I've got some corkscrew willow trees rooting...and am going to plant some around the place...and working on flowers...such a beautiful time of the year!

Always good to hear GOOD things about teachers! TFS! Jeanne S.

• 14 years ago

Jeanne, I have very good memories of my teachers from that time... most were new hires that were very young, so it was easy to relate to them -- and aspire to be like them (especially thinking of Miss Baumgartner with her miles and piles of hair. :) And good luck with your corkscrew willow!!! A friend bought one and it was awesome (very pricey!)

luvs, I don't have any delusions about my little fruit orchard. lol! I don't have much room at all (25' wide side yard), so they're being planted a little too closely. :O) One of the reasons I ordered more fruit trees was actually precipitated by the Arbor Foundation! I ordered a 'Prairie Fire' flowering crab from them many years ago... it turned out to be some ordinary apple tree, so I decided to get another apple tree, hoping for cross-pollination. :O) I used to grow out their saplings for a year or two and then give them away to friends and relatives... it's really neat when I see how large they all are now.

slinkey, your inherited orchard must have been WONDERFUL! I'm planning to just let my trees take care of themselves. ;^) If I don't get fruit for myself, that's alright. I'm hoping to at least have some privacy/interest, nice spring blooms, and food for the birds/wildlife.

I share and still get plenty of the elderberries and blackberries that I planted several years ago, so figure I have nothing to lose.

Sponsored
More Discussions