Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Please Weigh In on Refrigerator Option - Thermador vs. Kenmore/KA

13 years ago

Sounds like a no brainer, right? Here's the situation:

We downsized the entire house due to the current mortgage crisis. The appliance budget shrunk accordingly. So we had only planned on putting in a regular full depth (just not enough room in those counter depth ones) side by side refrigerator. We were leaning heavily toward the Kenmore Elite 26.5 cuft. or the KA 26.5 cuft.

Yesterday, I stumbled across someone selling a brand new never installed 2009 48" Thermador side by side at a huge loss putting it in the price range of the regular refrigerators we're looking at. It's out of the box, but all the packing and plastic is still on it. They said they bought it for their kitchen reno but it didn't end up fitting and they had to go with a 42" instead.

The only drawbacks I see:

- No warranty

- I have to go pick it up (~500 miles)

- Being a built in, its counter depth (how much of an issue does the shallow depth become when the refrigerator is 48" wide vs. 30"-36" wide?)

- The planned adjacent cabinet will shrink from 36" to 24" wide

- If & when I have to replace it I am pretty much locked into another super-expensive built in that I may not be able to find such a good deal on again.

Am I missing anything? What would you do?

Comments (3)

• 13 years ago

I can't comment on the Thermador, but we just installed a SS Kenmore elite french door/bottom freezer that we like alot. The cubic feet is approximately the same. It is made by LG. Aside from when the ice maker refills 1-2 times a day, it is virtually silent (and we have an open concept home with tile floors so we would hear it :)

• 13 years ago

Picking up and moving a 48" built-in is not trivial. You do not mention the model number of the fridge in your post, but I would not be surprised if it weighs 700 pounds. So you will need some kind of moving truck with a ramp or liftgate and plenty of help to get the thing moved, or you will need to freight it, heavily insured, to your house. Those costs will not be insignificant no matter what. Just the gas for the truck will be an appreciable expense.

But there is no question that the interior room of the fridge will be better than a 36" standard depth. While you are giving up depth in the cavity, you are substituting an additional foot of storage with noticeable increases in both refrigerator and freezer capacity. Everything is easier to get to in a 48" and the aesthetics of the built-in vs. the standard depth 36" are simply not in the same ballpark in my estimation. You get a much more trim and finished look with a built-in and your kitchen will be greatly enhanced in appearance and "show-appeal" with the Thermador.

So the question is what would I do? I'd go get the Thermador in a heartbeat. Had there been any 48" fridge with the dispenser quality of my LG on the market at the time we did our reno, I would have one now. I much prefer the wider presentation of the storage in a large built-in over having to reach over things like you have to do in a standard depth fridge. About the only thing I would be cautious over would be the lack of a warranty. But I am pretty handy and a decent diagnostician when it comes to appliances so it is less of a worry for me than it would be for someone who must always rely on service companies. Still, overall, I would shoot for moon and get the best you can get for the least amount of money because, well, that is just the way I am wired. I can't imagine this helps too much since your circumstances are markedly different, but I do wish you the best of luck with your decision and hope you will report back on what you decide and how it all works out.

• 13 years ago

MCMesprit-Thanks for your input on the Kenmore elite. We like the features & looks of the Kenmore a little more so than those of the KA. Love the handles on the Kenmore too!

Mojavean-Yes, it's the 700 lb fridge. I asked DH when I found out about it if he'd rather have it shipped (estimated ~$1,100.00--still a steal at that price) or go pick it up and he suprised me & said for that amount of money, we'll go pick it up. I'm guessing he's thinking we'll drive there in our car then rent a truck in the town where it is & drive it back. Then we're only paying for the truck's gas one way. DH is also good at troubleshooting & repairing, but I worry on these higher end appliances. It sounds like you & I are similarly wired when it comes to shooting for & buying the moon for the least amount of $$--hence the post. Thanks so much for sharing your view.

Anyone else have any thoughts?