Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Oo, Oo, White Dishes

15 years ago

For years I've toyed with the idea of getting a nice set of plain white dishes, but other "needs" always seemed to jump to the head of the line. Then I read Judith's post about white dishes and decided that since the Great Swami of Table Decor decreed a set of whites as a basic table setting staple, it was not only my right to have a set, but my duty to have one. So I've been keeping my eyes open.

Yesterday the Bloomingdale's catalogue arrived (along with 40 tons of other catalogues). There are 5 different white-on-white plain sets along with a set with a gold band and a set with a platinum band. $100 for 12 five-piece place settings plus additional serving pieces. Of course, I guess you have to buy the whole shootin' works at once, but it seems like a pretty good buy to me, as I have been looking since the Great Swami spoke.

I tried to go online to find them, just to get a better look, but couldn't.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass it on.

OA

Comments (14)

• 15 years ago

OA, That sounds like a very good buy. Kathleen got a great buy on white dishes. Hopefully she will post here where she got hers, because I can't remember.

I have a set of very plain white and don't use them very often, but they're nice to have when I do need them. I wish I had gotten a prettier set though, but I thought the plain would go with everything better. And I was wrong! LOL

• 15 years ago

Penneys also has white dishes on sale. Don't remember how much but it was in one of the booklets that I got yesterday.

I have been thinking of getting white also.

• 15 years ago

OA...I say Go For IT...you won't be sorry. I have two sets of White dishes.(service for 12 w/each) They go w/everything and great for mix & match place settings.. One set is for 'Fancy' gatherings with fluted rims and gold trim...Bought them years ago on QVC. The other I purchased two yrs ago from Overstock.com.- Mikasa Italian Countryside. They had a great offer w/no shipping charges. When they arrived, two of the plates from from the 5pc place setting were broken and when I contacted them. They told me to keep the rest of the place setting, and they would send out two more at no charge!! I love this set, because of the Wide Rimmed Soup Bowls. Not all sets have that. Good luck & Happy Shopping!!
    jane

• 15 years ago

Love your thought process, OA, as well as the perfect title for Judith. Kathleen is the Kitchen Queen, so Judith definitely needed something. Those two are at the top of the Enablers 'R Us gang! (Tho some of you others are catching up fast and we might have to watch out even more.)

hugs, Karen

• 15 years ago

Hope I am not too late OA.
    I just got home from WmSonoma outlet and they have 70 off 2 kinds of white...one is basket weave, the oither plain. People were buying LOTS of them..
    You have near one right?
    Hop over. It was a great buy.

I got mine in Linens and Things. They are made by Gibson, so not the greatest. But I got service for 12 for 60 plus tax. That was with the coupon and on sale.
    I'll post a pic of them tomorrow.
    I really don't know that you need the whole place setting..I have never used mine...I have used the dinner plates mixed in with other things.
    After I bought those I found some neat white swirly plates at Pier One when they had a big sale. I use them more than the white set.. And then some of the white squares that you can find anywhere

• 15 years ago

I got off at noon today and went straight to William-Sonoma. Only had white dishes 20% off. Disappointed, to say the least. I'll pop over to Linens and Things tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 15 years ago

Is yours and Outlet, OA? They had tons of them here, I am sorry yours didn't..
    I posted the white dishes in the Dish chat thread..

• 15 years ago

OA, where is the William-Sonoma outlet around here? I didn't even know we had one in our area. (I don't buy much--not much storage room--so you don't have to worry about any competition on the good deals!) LOL

Oh, thought I'd mention that we got an ad for Sam's Club yesterday, and they had the square shaped white plates advertised in case anyone is looking for them.

Luvs

• 15 years ago

Calling OA, calling OA..
    Are you out buying dishes?

• 15 years ago

Hi,

I bought two sets, six servings in each set, from J. C. Penney's today ON SALE, of course. They are not true white and have a nice subtle design on the edges of them. They are Richard Phillips, Versailles, porcelain dinnerware set. My 20 year old daughter "approved" - said the ones with fruit designs were ugly in her opinion. I'm going to use them for various occasions, but they will certainly be a part of my thanksgiving tablescape. I LOVE dishes, and now am requesting a pie cabinet from DH for the dining room as my Christmas gift because I truly don't have any place to store them. I think they are very versatile and plan to use them a lot!

Rosie

• 15 years ago

I bet you I've been to a dozen places and seen 20 different sets of white dishes. Trouble is, the cheaper ones (and there are ones I like at very low prices) have to be purchased all at once. I'd like to avoid that, if possible. A set of 8 is all I'm really looking for at the moment.

There's a set at Crate and Barrel that has caught my eye. I'm just not sure yet. I always have trouble deciding, and the more choices I have, the more unsure I get. I've only been shopping in ernest for about 2 weeks, and don't want to make a decision too fast. I'll post pics if I ever get up enough nerve to actually make a decision and purchase some.

Luvs, as far as I know, there is no Williams-Sonoma Outlet any where around us.

• 15 years ago

OA you can check on line for 'Open Stock' white dishes..and purchase them seperately. It's better that way, as you don't have to purchase 5pc place settings or a whole set.
    I did that when I was adding to some of my dishes.
    just a thought..
    jane

• 15 years ago

this might be helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: white dishes open stock

• 15 years ago

I know you said that you would prefer not to buy a set all at once, but this sounds like a GREAT deal at J.C. Penneys in one of the sale catlogs. It is a service for 12 and also includes the serving pieces for $69.99!

I found this in a catalog called The Joy of Giving. It has a red cover with Santa holding a red Christmas present. It also shows on the cover that there is FREE shipping.

The dinnerware sets are porcelain and available in THREE patterns including Basketweave, Italiana and Elegant Pearl. The catalog numbers are:

Basketweave X 786-6992
    Italiana X 786-6987
    Elegant Pearl X 786-6984

The sets are regularly priced at $139.99.