Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Anyone read 'Defending Jacob'?

12 years ago

Rarely do I read a book that really gets to me, most books I read I enjoy, but don't really relate to personally. I guess I select titles that are more entertaining - I'm currently reading "Fifty Shades of Gray" - but that's the other post.

Anyways, I found this book to be so haunting. I don't belong to a book club but thought after finishing it, it would be a good title to discuss in a group.

It is definitely written in a manner that makes you think - what would you do in this situation and could you believe your child capable of violent acts. I personally haven't been through this type of situation, but that's what's so crazy about it - would it be possible for my "normal" kids to really be capable of such acts? Makes you feel uneasy that even though you know your child would never do such a thing, this parent didn't believe it either.

Comments (6)

• 12 years ago

I read it Caroleoh. It was very thougth provoking and I don't even have children!!

• 12 years ago

Yes! Made me consider what I would do if in the same situation

After finishing it I purchased 2 of his (William Landay) previous books. His first, Mission Flats, was also very good. Not as good as Defending Jacob.

ML

• 12 years ago

Caroleoh, we may be living parallel lives (um, in reverse?) because I recently finished the 50 Shades trilogy and then turned to Defending Jacob. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and I agree, it makes you think. Maybe especially because I have two teenage sons.

I am also, on the side, reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson. I occasionally read her blog, too. Well, I read the first couple of chapters of the book and I was laughing so hard, tears were running down my cheeks. I need to focus on the Jacob book and finish it, but I think Jenny Lawson's book will be a good one to read next for some comic relief.

• 12 years ago

Sueb20, I may have to read that book by Jenny Lawson. I think I read an article promoting it and it did look like a good book.

The ending of Defending Jacob is what got to me. Also the way it's written - trial dialog intermixed with the backstory.

Darn family came into town this weekend, so had to put my 50 Shades book down right at the part where he's taking her into his "room" and making her sign all the paperwork! Yikes.

• 12 years ago

I just finished reading Defending Jacob. It was very heart wrenching, but a good read. Reminded me of the old, old movie *The Bad Seed* with Patty McCormick. If you've ever seen that movie, you'd be sure to remember it.

jody

PS ... Also read the Grey trilogy ... loved the story :)

• 12 years ago

There sure have been a bunch of books about (supposedly) good kids gone bad. Similar books are We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. After Columbine, it was a popular subject. I find it hard to read, thinking about the pain of the parents and the destroyed lives of the children.

Ooooh, I remember The Bad Seed. Patty McCormack was positively evil. What talented actress. I just adored her as a child since she was just a couple years older than me.