Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

Internet off at home

14 years ago

Well, I had my internet access, cable and phone turned off -I could not pay the bill. I am writing from the library computer. I had not checked my email since the access went off - Thursday, I think. So my boss emailed me this morning saying I should come in to pick up the samples, paperwork, etc. I arrived at the library at 5pm. I actually got here at 10am but the library does not open until 11am Mon, Wed, and Fri - summer hours. And then at 11am, the parking lot was full and so I figured I would come back later so I would not have to wait for a computer. I replied to the boss explaining the situation and told him I will be there Tuesday morning. Wish me luck on making some sales.

My son is going to help me pay my rent so that is good.

Any bank recommendations? I have Wells Fargo and they jacked me up with all these fees. The debit card kept working even though there was no money in there. (The unemployment debit card will not work if the money is not available.) I thought I had more money than I really did have. Even getting the balance at the ATM machine is not accurate since that does not show pending bills, etc. I asked them at the bank today to reverse at least some of the fees, but they won't, not at all. I heard Bank of America was like that too. I even stopped at Dillards today to stop my automatic deposits and just get a check. Can't do that either. They don't do checks any more I was told. I don't like Chase either.

Anyway, not sure when the home internet will be back on or when I will be here at the library next. If I don't see you, good morning, good day and good night!!! And have a happy and safe 4th of July all!!

Love from Phoenix,

Eileen

Comments (14)

• 14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eileen...try a credit union. In my experience, they're MUCH more consumer friendly than the banks. I've been with mine for years and love it...DH has switched big banks constantly when they continue to jack up fees for this and that. One bank started charging for deposits!! If we made more than 3 deposits in a month, it was a charge. Nuts.

Anyway, sorry for your troubles. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• 14 years ago

Sorry to hear this. Many others in your same situation right now, unfortunately. I will echo the credit union recommendation. Fees are usually lower and they are more consumer friendly as Pesky says.

Now, for my day-job-Red: You must reconcile your checkbook. You must write down every check, every POS (point-of-sale) purchase, and every fee. YOU have to keep a running total. The ATM does not do it for you. And the ATM doesn't know how many places you've been that have AUTHORIZED charges, but have not yet sent them through. For example, Dillards might authorize that $25 skirt on Tuesday, but not send through the debit till Thursday. So, if you check your bank balance through the phone or ATM on Wednesday, it looks like you still have money.

My sister hasn't been able to afford internet for the last year. She also uses her library card. It's a good thing to have.

Red

• 14 years ago

threedgrad- Sending lots of good juju your way for making some sales :) Your son- awe, bless his heart- what a good one you have.

I used to use a Credit Union but recently switched to Regions and they are so much easier to deal with. The credit union I used refused check deposits/cashing that exceeded a % of your average account balance. Just remember that you have to keep up with it to the penny- make a spreadsheet if that will help.

If you haven't listened to Dave Ramsey- start there- check out his books while you are at the library.

I hope things turn around for you soon and best wishes for the new job!

• 14 years ago

Eileen I'm so sorry your trials continue.

Red's *gentle* nudge for you to be the responsible keeper of your money records is on target. That's important regardless of financial circumstances but critical in yours - no one can afford fees.

Just a suggestion...... have you asked at your library if they need any help? Our library has several people in less than ideal financial circumstances working part time shelving and doing various office jobs. I know this because at one point I thought it would be a great part time job for me since I'm there a couple times week anyway and was told certain jobs are 'reserved' for residents in need. It's worth a shot - you might be able to pick up a few hours at least.

• 14 years ago

Eileen, have you talked to the bank about your situation and the fees. They might be willing to revoke them as a one-time courtesy.

Good luck with some sales soon! Maybe a virtual would help if someone is close but not sure : )

• 14 years ago

"Well, I had my internet access, cable and phone turned off -I could not pay the bill."

Check out the many, many FREE ISPs that are out there. Some limit the number of hours you get, but you can at least check your email to see if your boss sent something important and then still use the library for recreational internet use, like accessing GW here. Some give you unlimited usage but you have to sit through annoying banner ads - but it is FREE.

http://www.all-free-isp.com/arizona-providers.php

Cable is a waste of money for any one on a tight budget. It is a luxury item. I don't have it. I don't need it. Even if I made more money I probably would not get it since it offers so little.

Now about your phone. I am assuming you are talking about your landline and not your cell phone. Most people do not need BOTH. But, your state may have the program where you can get assistance to pay your landline phone if you have low income and a medical condition where you need the phone available for medical emergencies. Some phone companies in some states offer this with their own program too and you could check this out for yourself. You would get almost free access but have to pay for each call you make. The national assistance program is called LifeLine and I believe is for those living on public assistance but states have their own related programs with names like LifeLink for landlines. There is even free cell phone service called SafeLink good for up to a year for those temporarily disabled and low income. SafeLink Wireless is a federal government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers. You may need to take advantage of these government programs until you get back on your feet.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

"My son is going to help me pay my rent so that is good."

You say your "rent" is $800/mo and you could save HUNDREDS of dollars per month by getting a one bedroom place instead of living in a three bedroom since you are living alone. Consider renting out the extra rooms or getting a roommate. I know people who have do this and never had a big problem. I have considered doing this myself.

Look at the *big picture*. Trying to save pennies by burning up gas to drive miles, to save 6 cents per gallon on gas at some far flung service station, negates any savings. There are oodles of *money saving tips* websites on the internet that offer good sound advice. I know. I read them. I live frugally.

Start with this one that has advice on banking with low/no service fees:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/02/06/little-steps-100-great-tips-for-saving-money-for-those-just-getting-started/

There are plenty of places that offer FREE financial counseling and job search help. They even have free computers. A financial counselor can put a person on the right track and help formulate a budget that is living within your means. Women's centers have these resources so do the senior centers.

http://www.wehelpwomen.com/jobs/index.html

http://phoenix.jobing.com/blog_post.asp?post=19861

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Start Women's Center Phoenix

• 14 years ago

I'm actually surprised you were able to keep it this long.

We've been debating getting the house phone turned off too.
    We mostly use the cell's - can't justify spending over $100 on a land line. I've also gone to Verizon to try to get our bill down by redoing the plan. They have something where you log in online and get 10 people to call (cell & landlines) where calls will be free. This doesn't include the free verizon to verizon.

I used to get magazines but am not renewing. Can't justify spending the extra $150 a year.

I don't know how you've managed to keep as many pets as you do. When i was a single mom I kept our dog for almost 2 years but couldn't do it. It wasn't fair to her that she not get her worm medication or vet visits. Every time I took her it was $200-$300.

It's hard, especially having medical bills which we do; I am not working, my hubby's job hasn't been that great these days. All 3 of us have some sort of medical bills, last year we spent $13,000+ Thankfully my son is healthy.

You'll be fine without the net.
    If you have a cell, see if your boss can text you instead.

• 14 years ago

You need some sort of phone service, esp for emergencies. Just limit its use. Check out the MagicJack phone which is only $20/year. If you can get one of the free ISPs or run it on a compatible wireless service, it may work for you.

• 14 years ago

I do wish you better times ahead threegrad, you deserve it.

Excellent tips above.

• 14 years ago

Threedgrad, I know you'll be able to creatively work around these inconveniences! "Resourceful" is your middle name!

There are lots & lots of great tips here! I don't think there is anyone who couldn't benefit from making use of some of these ideas. So many of us are eager to learn how to live well with less.

Dilly's link to the Fresh Start Center in Phoenix looks fabulous! This could be a great resource for you, Threedgrad.

I know you'll do your best to stay in touch...keep us posted when you can!

• 14 years ago

Lots of brilliant and helpful posts above. Just wanted to ad I've been happy with a credit union for decades now, and I hope you can find one near you. I'm crossing my fingers for you to get the help you need and make lots of sales. Hope we hear better news from you soon!

• 14 years ago

I'll echo Dilly Dally and say: contact your phone company -- a phone company in a big city like Phoenix probably has some options. When I first moved to Minneapolis I had some kind of phone service that had a very low base fee and was allowed very limited usage. You can start by opening your latest phone book and checking into the phone plans that the company offers.

Good luck in all of your sales, Threed, and hang in there!

• 14 years ago

Phone companies have to offer lifeline service. We all pay a bit extra on our bills to support that service.

• 14 years ago

Eileen,

I'm so sorry to hear this. Things just have to turn around for you. I'm hoping it's very soon. Sounds like you raised a great son. You'll get no advice from me. It sounds like there isn't enough money to stretch.

Try to stay in contact!