Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trucker8

Lennox XP14 vs Trane xli15 heat pumps

13 years ago

Which would be better? Both are with single speed air handlers. Lennox has a 5 kw heat strip where Trane has a 7.5kw. Both come with non prog thermostats.

should I go with variable speed air handler?

Is the size of the heat strip important?

Should I go with a humidity control type thermostat

We live in central Florida.

Thanks for your help! So much information to absorb when buy A/c.

Comments (11)

• 13 years ago

trucker

what size system are you replacing?

what size heat strip do you have now?

post all mdl numbers of both systems quoted.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• 13 years ago

Trane XR15 or XL15i a better choice than Lennox XP14

• 13 years ago

what is the price difference? The XL is the nicer cabinet. The XR is plenty fine too (just doesn't have trane's proprietary top). If XR is comparable in price or not a ton more, than the lennox, I would do the trane in a heartbeat.

• 13 years ago

We are replacing a 3.5 ton with a 3.5 ton/4 ton depending on model

The lennox is $700 bucks more than the trane. Neither are priced with a humidistat. I do not know our current heat strip size...Both inside and outside units are being replaced. Lines are not being replaced but can be for $300. Just had our power company out for duct inspection and we have serious leak. I guess some vents were @ a 5 or a 6 and they consider a leak @ .5. Old grey flex line that is deteriorated and some other can damage. Big leaks are in the duct work in the sub floor.....should we replace? Dont know the cost of the sub floor duct but all duct work that can be reached would be $1000-1500 depending on contractor...So should we replace accessible duct work or all? Below is the model numbers

Trane XLI15 4TWx5042 AH GAM5AC042

Lennox XP14 XP14-042 AH CBX27UH-042

Any info you can give is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!!!!!

• 13 years ago

I now know that most likely will have to replace all my duct work unless anyone has thoughts. Back to the trane vs lennox question. Posted some of the additional information. Let me know if any one has opinions. Also is variable speed MUCh better than single speed?

THanks

• 13 years ago

A variable speed blower will help you with humidity reduction more than a single speed. It would also be good to have a thermostat that also helped with humidity control.

I don't think the defrost is that much of an issue in central Florida, but Demand Defrost is always better.

Heat strip size doesn't matter in this comparison since they can be easily changed.

How old is your old system? Its age may determine whether you should replace the refrigerant lines (which you probably should anyway).

• 13 years ago

do the trane since its cheaper and better. I would pay the extra money and replace the lineset.

• 13 years ago

Our old system is 18 years old for the air handler 12 years old for the outside unit. We live in a 2 story house which has been the justification for NOT replacing the lineset, but I have been quoted on the option. We have picked the trane and are now just deciding on the line set replacement, humidistat and how much money we should invest in fixing the duct work in between the 2 floors..thats the big question because replacing our total duct work might cost close to 3000$...Does that seem like a reasonable price for 13 drops. 8 are in the attic and 5 are in the sub floor. And depending on how we access the duct work in the subfloor will have some sort of repair work..either sheet rock or subfloor.

Thanks

• 13 years ago

trucker

first of all, I will assume you are sized correctly.

I always recommend that lineset be replaced as long as there is reasonable accessibility. But you should first verify that existing lineset is the correct size for new system and then weigh flushing cost vs new lineset.

The Trane air handler you were quoted is the new Hyperion 5 series mdl. While high eff, it is not variable speed.

Here are the performance/eff numbers for quoted system.

4151234 Active Systems XL15I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX5042A1 GAM5A0C42M31 44000 12.50 15.25 43500 8.50 27800

good numbers but mediocre HSPF efficiency. If that's an issue or concern, then upgrade to the *AM7A0C48H41 air handler.

Do you have a whole house air filter? if not, I recommend you install one.

At the very least I would want HW 8321 thermostat. If you go with a true var speed air handler, then consider HW VP IAQ that has dehumidify on demand feature.

It's difficult to make an informed comment on existing ductwork system but I find the $3K price questionable at best. Can you provide more details as to specific problems rewgarding your system other than leaks? Have you asked if repairs can be made? What exactly does dealer propose for new ductwork system? Do you have any hot/cold spots in your home? Adequate number of returns? For Florida, you want R8 insulation at the very least.

For heat strip size, I would go with the 7.5K module. What size do you have now? You would rarely if ever use it unless you have breakdown on outside condenser.

You could save some bucks if you went with the XR15 HP.

IMO

• 13 years ago

We also only have one return and it is upstairs and our downstairs is always warmer than upstairs where the air handler is. We are getting another return installed downstairs in the mater bedroom (that room is directly below the air handler)

• 13 years ago

We are going with the TAM7 air handler which I believe is Variable speed. The XR15 was quoted also but negligible price difference..maybe $300. We have grey flex right now and there is deterioration to that..We also have some junction boxes that are coming apart and a can that has be smooshed. That is what can be seen in the attic. We had our power company come out and do a duct analysis where they check for leaks and the surprise was not with the duct work in the attic, but in the ductwork between the floors (2 story) They said the leaks were a 6 and they consider a leak @.5. I am not sure of the unit of measure. The hard part is that we cant see that ductwork so we dont really know what is causing the leak....So that is why we are debating getting it replaced...we also know that some of the duct work coming to the down stairs is 4"...which I beleive is small. Could be opening a big can of worms. Opinions?