Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

Beleza vs. Minas - 2 weeks 'til the final showdown!

15 years ago

What I won't do for my countertops.

Two weeks from tonight, I will be on a plane to Denver to choose my precious soapstone and carrara in person, just like a regular person who doesn't live in the middle of nowhere! :o) Woo hoo! (I got a super cheap flight and get a bonus visit with my sister, too!)

Will worldmom go bonkers for Beleza, or will she melt for Minas? Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of this saga! ;o)

Comments (11)

• 15 years ago

How exciting! Will definitely stay tuned.

• 15 years ago

Can't wait to hear (and see) your final decision.

• 15 years ago

Good luck worldmom! Don't forget to take your camera and post some pics for us. And don't forget to have some fun with your sister!

• 15 years ago

When I went to the stone yard to choose my granite, I took one of my cabinet doors with me. It was an enormous help, since the stones looked completely different with the cabinetry held against it. Well, I can just imagine you passing through airport security with a cabinet door....but barring that, do you have a small sample of the cabinet material with your chosen paint/stain to hold against the soapstone? I would really recommend you get a small sample square to bring with you. I can't emphasize enough how much it will help in your decision.

And of course, if you happen to be shopping with your sister and come across, say, a lovely backsplash tile, or accessory, or dish, or Le Creuset pot :)), you can just whip out your cabinet sample and see how beautifully it will go!

• 15 years ago

Thanks, Shannon. :o) You're right that I can't take a cabinet door, but I am going to take a large piece of cardboard that's been painted with our cabinet color (BM white dove), and a couple more that have our island paint color options (we're still undecided.) What's going to be a little trickier is the stain for the hutch that will be in the kitchen, but I'm not as worried about that as it will have a soapstone top and I think it would look good with a variety of stains.

I can't wait!

• 15 years ago

Good for you! This is like the lead up to the Academy Awards. In this case, why don't we just call it the "Worldmom Best Soapstone Award?" Can't wait!

• 15 years ago

Worldmom,
    I'm excited for you. Are you going to Dorado in Denver? I had such a great experience with Dorado in Massachusetts. I think it will end up being less about Minas or Beleza and more about which individual slabs you fall in love with. They are both such beautiful stones, but as with granite, each slab is unique so you may come back and have chosen another type of soapstone that they have out there. The exciting part is that you will have a large selection of soapstone and a wonderful education to prepare you for your countertop. Good luck and safe travel.

• 15 years ago

Worldmom, I just took a couple closeups of our Minas for you. As you can see, there is hardly any green tone at all. It mostly registers as black. While I didn't think I'd like so much veining going in, I now love it!

Can't wait to see what you decide on.

{{gwi:1563377}}

{{gwi:1563378}}

• 15 years ago

Thank you, wascolette. You chose a gorgeous stone! I love your drawer pulls, too. :o)

• 15 years ago

Good luck worldmom! Whatever you choose will be great. Soapstone is amaZing! Have a safe trip.

• 15 years ago

Can you take a tiny door with you - we ordered a 15 inch drawer front to see the color and glad we did as I dropped it granite shopping - and don't forget your camera - not only for pictures of the stone, but so you can take pictures of the lot number and all that so you don't have to write it all down - much easier.