Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arik_gw

Cabinet Hardware: Knobs or Pulls??

12 years ago

I decided on brushed nickel knobs for cabinets, pulls for drawers. Now everyone insists I do ONLY pulls, knobs old-fashioned, and/or impractical. The knobs I chose actually have an interesting shape and finish (rounded, come to a sharp point). Also the installer suggested I might be better off with something square, matching the square-ish Shaker style cabinetry. Completely confused! Also chose the purestyle laminate cabinetry- did not get too many replies regarding durability, yellowing, peeling. I still have a little time to change my mind, but time is running out- have to get this off and running! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)

• 12 years ago

I have a combination of knobs and pulls. I don't find the knobs old fashioned or impractical. I had been eyeing some square knobs, but our KD suggested that with square knobs, they tend to rotate and I'd be constantly straightening them. I was glad I listened to his advice and got round. I have square ones on my bathroom vanity and I'm constantly straightening them.

• 12 years ago

You should do whatever you like. This is your kitchen and the only thing that matters is that you like it.

One thing to consider though, is if you have any cabinets in your lowers. In that case, knobs are terrible from a functional perspective. I used to get my pants/pockets caught all the time. For lowers, I'm a fan of all pulls, but for practical reasons, not aesthetic. This would affect your choice for uppers.

• 12 years ago

We did knobs on our doors and pulls on the drawers. It seemed to work best aesthetically. We have yet to get our pants pockets caught in the knobs on the lowers. I do agree that touch and feel is important. I wanted something with a more substantial weight to them, and it's hard to tell that online.

• 12 years ago

I like knobs for cabinet doors and bin pulls for drawers. Some of our drawers have small panels though and the bin pulls do not fit on them. So we will put knobs on some of the smaller drawers. We are putting a completely different pull (same finish though) on the trash pull-out so I can hang a towel on it. I ordered mine online and got great pricing, free shipping, and no tax. You can always order 1 first before you order all of them if you want to see/feel it first.

• 12 years ago

We have both knobs and pulls. Pulls on all the drawers, the trash pullout (which is the shape of a door, but really functions as a drawer), and on two long pantry doors next to the fridge. That just seemed to be what belonged there. We have knobs on all the rest of the doors. Haven't caught our clothes on them, but most of them are below a drawer, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have a friend who used both knobs and pulls, and put each type wherever she thought they would look nice (it's a traditional style kitchen). I don't think anyone notices that the use of knobs/pulls is not consistent.

Be sure to actually feel the hardware first. Many companies will sell you samples that you can return. We ended up spending more than we planned on the hardware, but the original pulls didn't have enough room (projection) to comfortably fit your hand. Be aware that pulls and knobs which cause your hands to touch the cabinets may eventually put wear on the cabinet finish.

• 12 years ago

I like a bit of a mix. I'm having pulls everywhere except knobs on the little cabs over my fridge and range hood.

• 12 years ago

Mix them how you like.

I confess I've been snagged by lower knobs before too but not enough to not install them myself.

• 12 years ago

I really like suzannesl's advice.

One other thing to consider. If you are thinking at all about aging in place and have any sort of propensity towards arthritis or joint issue, pulls may be better in the long run because they are easier to use if you don't have great hand strength or flexibility.

Then again, it's not that hard to change hardware down the line, although you will have to fill in holes, and it's one more thing you may have to do when life throws you for a loop.

--says the girl who lives with a brain injury and is building an ADA friendly house.

• 12 years ago

I prefer pulls - getting all pulls in new kitchen. Being on the shorter side, I have often been pulled back sharply after walking quickly past a knob and having my robe or jacket pocket get caught. Not fun...
    But, if this isn't the case with you, do what you think works best. I think both look great or even better a mixture of the two. Good luck with your decision, you really can't make a bad one...